Women Online Worldwide

Women Online Worldwide (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/index.php)
-   Music (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Are You Listening To Right Now? (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/showthread.php?t=221)

AuntieWOW January 12th, 2001 09:39 PM

What are you listening to right now?

LiamFan! February 16th, 2001 07:31 AM

Heard any new bands?

LiamFan! February 16th, 2001 07:32 AM

Bought the new Blur DVD yesterday...gad, they're cute. <g>

OH...and the music is good, too...

QuietWoman February 16th, 2001 04:10 PM

Blur - yeah, okay I guess they are cute ;-)

I'm listening to Coldplay "Parachutes" - a very kewl CD I was given for my birthday, recently.

Addie February 16th, 2001 04:35 PM

Oh, this might be a very embarrassing discussion for me. In the past few years I have fallen completely out of touch with what's new. Well, other than teen pop music, since I have a 13 year old in the house.<g> A few weeks ago my daughter was listening to the radio. (a "teen" station.) I heard a song, (an old one) re-done in reggae and really liked it! I like reggae, but I wonder if I was first drawn to it because I knew the words.<g> I then found out that the artist isn't actually new at all, it's just that I have been in a time warp or something.<g>

Anyway, the artist is Shaggy, the song is Angel. I bought the CD, and I'm really enjoying it.

Today I've been listening to compilation CD's. It was one of those days when I wanted a little taste of everything. :-)

DLC55 February 16th, 2001 07:32 PM

LOL Addie, it's sorta like when my son says "Hey mom, listen to this cool song" When I start singing the lyrics he looks puzzled and asked how I know it when I don't listen to his music. I hate breaking to him that the song was popular back when I was growing up<g>

Listening to The Platters

LiamFan! February 16th, 2001 11:56 PM

Coldplay!

They're on Conan tonight. :-)

Have you heard Splattercell?

LiamFan! February 17th, 2001 02:07 AM

Underwhelmed

<font size=4>I thought Coldplay sounded like Radiohead on tranquilizers.

And looked haughty...now, people who know me may find that hard to believe...that haughty turns me off. ;-)

And guess what, Addie....SHAGGY IS ON SNL TOMORROW

Or, erm, today.

'night!!</font>

QuietWoman February 17th, 2001 05:18 AM

Splattercell is another group? <sigh> I'm with Addie really, I know almost nothing about what's cool.

Last week a radio newsperson phoned me asking me to make a comment on Eminem (on behalf of a women's group I'm in). Needless to say, I didn't know enough about said person. The radio newsperson was not impressed with me and decided to phone someone who'd heard some of the "songs". :D
Right now? Mary Chapin Carpenter is playing :)

Addie February 17th, 2001 10:26 AM

ROFL DLC!!! We never cease to amaze our kids. <g>

Thanks Liam! I had known, but forgotten that Shaggy was on SNL tonight! Luckily, because of my daughter, I was able to catch the premiere of his video on MTV yesterday. I'm not all that impressed with the video, but I do like the song. And, he was funny when interviewed.

My daughter's comment. "Oh, he's OLD."

Yeah, one foot in the grave. What is he, 30? 35? ;-)

LiamFan! February 17th, 2001 10:41 AM

<font size=4 color=navy>Yep, Splattercell is sort of an electronic trance-type band. A guy from another VC I'm in sent me a CD-R of his "Best of 2000" (which included Coldplay, BTW)

I think my favorite on that CD was Porcupine Tree.</font></font>

DrHilieWho February 17th, 2001 12:32 PM

<font size=3>Well, two really <font size=5 color=orange>WONDERFUL<font size=3 color=black> bands are <a href="http://www.abovearcana.com">Above Arcana</a> and <a href="http://www.halo-effect.net">Halo Effect</a>. Yeh, yeh, I know I'm plugging my boyfriend's bands. In all honesty though they are very good. <br>
<font size=-1>Or I wouldn't be so nice and let him sleep after spending the entire night putting songs together with his friend OOOOOR spending all of our money on band equipment, etc etc GROWL<font size=3><br>
My favorites aren't exactly brand new, but the best bands/cds Who else do I listen to...

Jason Falkner - amazing guy with a sense of humor and a lot of talent. Plays multiple instruments and is the sole musician on his cd's. Used to be in Jellyfish. You might think he's cute ;)

A Perfect Circle - Very emotional, heavy/alternative.

Local H - Total fun band, sense of humor, kind of pop/heavy if you can imagine it. I'd go with "Pack up the Cats"

Tool - Who YEEEEEHHH is coming out with a new album in April. They've passed the 3 cd curse (you know how most amazing groups phase out by their third album?) so this one should be really out of this world. They had a mini-cd that accompanied a video earlier this year, but it was more a single with a lot of live/cover tunes on it.

Who else, it's so hard. No one really good is coming out...or maybe I'm just bitter because we're getting a PA instead of a house. :p

Lou February 18th, 2001 11:16 AM

(((((MusicLovers)))))

I'm with Addie. Just can't keep up. Give me a good guitar player, say, Clapton, and I'm a happy woman. (((((Addie)))))

BUT, lo and behold, I saw Shaggy on SNL last night! And I didn't turn away. Seemed like a cross between rap and reggae. And being a child of the Sixties, I especially adored the drummer. <g>

LiamFan! February 18th, 2001 12:13 PM

Oops...I didn't notice the drummer!

DLC55 February 18th, 2001 10:37 PM

Les, weren't you the one who liked Judy Garland? I bought a CD tonight, The Best of Judy Garland-The Millennium Collection. It's a cool CD.

I also bought Luciano Pavarotti, Classical flutes, and Handel's Water Music Suite....what can I say, I was in a weird music mood, lol!

LOL Addie, they never cease to amaze us either do they!