Women Online Worldwide

Women Online Worldwide (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/index.php)
-   Pets (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Fish owners (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/showthread.php?t=683)

MintyFemme2 March 8th, 2004 10:14 AM

Fish owners

I'm new to this fish thing . Sallvie got a gold fish for his birthday in Oct. We got a 10 gal tank for the fish cause the bowl just wasn't cutting it. Of course when we got the tank we got "Nemo" some friends Now we are up to 5 gold fish and a 20 gal aquarium. We've had the 20 gal tank now for 3 weeks. We've tried everything we can think of but the water is still cloudy. Since we got the tank we have done partial water changes, and last week gor some stuff that was supossed to clear the water. It is sorta working but not that great. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cod March 8th, 2004 12:52 PM

Minty I am not sure how to correct the cloudiness. I know goldfish require a lot of water changing. They are little poop machines. I have a tiny bowl with a single Beta named.....DORY! Yes she is blue. I use bottled water but as I said it's a tiny bowl. I'd bring her over to meet Nemo, but she'd eat him. ;)

Cinderellen March 8th, 2004 01:01 PM

LOL we had betas for a while, they're vicious little fish. Have you tried putting a mirror up to Dory's bowl? Ours used to get so aggressive. You'd really get to see their fins all blown up and I think they're colors got darker.

Minty, do you have one of those algae eater fish? I have no idea if that helps cloudiness or not, but it seems like little fish vaccuums are good things to have, lol. Good luck!

Cod March 8th, 2004 01:09 PM

Okay that makes me picture a goldfish pushing around a tiny Oreck! ;)

So, when I approach Dory's bowl she's NOT just happy to see me?????

Cinderellen March 8th, 2004 01:31 PM

Of course she is. She's thinking, "Hey! Lunch!" ;)

And "she" is probably a "he". ;)

Cod March 8th, 2004 02:34 PM

Well I REALLY REALLY wanted to name my blue fish Dory, so "he'll" have to deal with it. What's he gonna do ....get ANGRIER? ;)

Cinderellen March 8th, 2004 03:52 PM

ROFL :cackle:

MintyFemme2 March 8th, 2004 04:17 PM

(((((((((((((CINDERS)))))))) ((((((((COD))))))),
Algae eaters don't only like algae.. they also like to eat goldfish. Snails won't eat goldfish BUT they will reproduce quickly .. even with out a mate.
Goldfish do poop alot.. I have never seen something so small poop so much LOL.
Hmm a goldfish with a tiny oreck sounds like a novel idea. I can't get a 6 year old to pick up his toys with out a fight so I prob wouldn't get a goldfish to clean up either LOL.
Dory is probably sayin "Keep on feeding me, feeding, feeding ";)

Cinderellen March 8th, 2004 05:56 PM

You know, that's an idea. If you don't feed the fish, they won't poop. ;)

crazymomma March 9th, 2004 01:57 AM

Minty, go to the pet store and pick up an item called clear start, Do a partucial water change at the same time. You may also want to check and see if you are using the right size filter. An air pump help keep the water moving and keeps it from getting too cloudy. If all else fails ask your local pet shop what if( anything) they charge to have your ph tested. With just gold fish it maybe too high.
Another trick to keep the water from clouding is besure you've rinsed your bottom stones well and place a small dish in the tank. Pour the new water onto the plate. When the tank is part way full remove the plate and fill the tank the rest of the way. One last tip, be sure to add just a pinch of salt to your water. For some reason goldfish love it! Good luck Fishy momma :D P.S. The real pretty betta's witht he lng fancy tails are all males. The females are much smaller and not colorful. :) Hey I use to have 3 tanks going. Over the years we've owned a lot of fish.

Cod March 9th, 2004 08:49 AM

shhhhhh.....don't let Dory hear you!

crazymomma March 9th, 2004 01:14 PM

I won't tell Dory that she's a he . :D He might bite me! :)

MintyFemme2 March 9th, 2004 05:31 PM

((((((((((((((((CMAMA))))))))) Thanks! I will try your advice. you sure the gold fish won't die if I use salt? /me won't tell Cod that Dory is a drag-queen ;) ( i heard "her" singing Donna Summer songs) ;) :D

Cod March 9th, 2004 05:38 PM

Well THAT explains the tiny feather boa!

Cinderellen March 9th, 2004 05:50 PM

ROFL!!! :cackle: