Women Online Worldwide

Women Online Worldwide (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Dancing Anyone? (http://www.wowwomen.com/boards/showthread.php?t=797)

JoJo June 18th, 2005 09:19 AM

Dancing Anyone?

I'm a ballroom dancer of 15+ years. I've been in competitions (amatuer) (sp?) and have done shows. Is there anyone else who enjoys dancing? Ballroom, ballet, tap, jazz - any form.

WA114 June 18th, 2005 12:14 PM

I started ballroom lessons in 2000, and I'd like to be better at it than I am currently. I had to take a hiatus from it because of injury, surgery and convalesence, but I hope to get back to it.

My favorite is the cha cha. :) (Which is why I sometimes wonder why I chose Tango as a nickname...)

Have you caught any of the <i>Dancing with the Stars</i> shows on television?

Addie June 18th, 2005 07:13 PM

me, me, I have!

I am very impressed WA and JoJo! Ballroom dancing is so cool, but it looks very hard.

My favorite on the show is the man who used to play J. Peterman on Seinfeld. He's so funny and so kind. He's not a bad dancer either. I think I have a bit of a crush on him.<g>

WA114 June 18th, 2005 08:41 PM

It's <i>very</i> hard -- if you want to be good and dance in shows and competitions. Practice and cross-training is all you ever do!

I'm not there. I do it because it's fun and I get to be with friends. :)

Not to mention that watching the Cuban rhythm on the instructors' hips isn't bad either. We all need eye candy now and then. It's hynotic, mesmerizing, seductive... Ooh la la!

*WA goes off to take a cold shower...*

IRISH_EYES_99 June 18th, 2005 09:07 PM

I do enjoy watching the dancing. Am envious that they do it with so much class. Wish they could all win.:)

Ballroom dance is classy & sexy. My older sister was an Arthur Murray dancer. She taught, she competed, she won many contests. The prize in the contest was a cruise.
My other sister and her hubby do a lot of ballroom dancing as well as Irish 2 step.
Hubby and I are not so fancy. We do the cha cha, / swing more of a jitterbug. When we go to weddings/ parties we are usually the first ones up on the dance floor and the last to sit down. ( Although I'm sure that there are those who would prefer us to sit. ) aha!

Our daughters both took dance/ the oldest with all the kids still does. As well as do the grandkids. Tap, jazz, ballet etc. :)

JoJo June 19th, 2005 09:16 AM

Years ago (1980) I taught at an Arthur Murray's studio. Then it turned into just a job - did not enjoy it so much. I decided to keep it as a hobby since I've always had a full-time job. I'm with WA - it IS fun and you make so many friends. I would spend 3-4 months in training for the shows and competitions. Hope you recover soon, WA. I, too have an injury (no surgery, though). My MD said to take it easy on the dance floor - yeah, right! Your whole family is in it, Irish Eyes! Way cool! My next quest is tap. Favorite dance - rumba. It's so, so seductive!

Time for a (cold) shower...

JoJo June 19th, 2005 09:24 AM

Hey Addie, it's not hard if you have the desire. I'm glued to the TV for Dancing with the Stars. I think Kelly and Jonathan are the two best. J. Peterman - is that the young kid, Joey? If so, I think he's too sloppy - no frame. Kelly's good; I think she just needs "icing on the cake." For some strange reason, I think Jonathan is going to win (maybe I'm just hoping)...

WA114 June 19th, 2005 10:16 AM

Joey McIntyre is the young kid. I agree -- his jive was all over the place.

John O'Hurley (aka J. Peterman) is the gray-haired gentleman who dances with Charlotta Jorgensen (who, in my opinion, is a hoity toity Danish snot!) And that Louis van Amstel... Ugh!!!!! No ego on <i>that</i> guy! (Thank God he's been elminated!)

I know one guy who started with my dance club at the same time I did, and now he dances at the amateur gold/silver level. Mind you, dance is all he does when not involved with his graduate research in genetics! He's even been to dance camps at Bringham Young...

Surgery was unrelated to dancing -- had two spontaneous retinal detachments. Am doing ok now, but doctor's orders at the time were to do <i>nothing</i> strenuous. No gardening, no bending, no vacuuming, not even picking up my 16-pound cat!! Recovery is about 3 months.

I like rumba too. My favorite slow dance. Favorite fast dances are cha cha and hustle. I'd like to learn quickstep -- it looks so cool.

MintyFemme2 June 22nd, 2005 02:14 PM

I have never done the fancy type dancing but I did dance for my partner. She wasn't a dancer . We would go ou to the bar and people would watch me dancing for her. I didn't care if they liked it or not but I knew they saw the love I had for Peggy . A few people would try get Peggy to dance with me but most would look and smile.

WA114 June 22nd, 2005 03:33 PM

What a wonderful story, {{{{ Minty }}}} It's a lovely way to pay tribute to someone and I'm sure it warmed Peggy's heart. :)

Glad you have that to cherish, hon. :D

JoJo June 22nd, 2005 10:08 PM

Wa - I'm not paying any attention to the pro's. Since I'm taking my vote seriously, I'm strictly watching the competitors.

I'm glad your surgery was unrelated to dance. I, too, have an injury (no surgery). Although it's unrelated to my dancing, my dancing has been affected.

My ultimate favorite dance is hustle. It's the time period (80's) where I was at my social height, so to speak. There's only one dance I don't know - pasodoble (sp?). See that - can't even spell it! lol

MintyFemme2, I like your "attitude," (if you will). As long as what you're doing makes you feel good. I can imagine that Peggy was proud of you. I've read a couple of your posts - I can read the love.

WA114 June 22nd, 2005 10:15 PM

It's a HUGE compliment, Minty, that you can be so uninhibited in your expressions of love and affection. I agree with JoJo -- Peggy should be very honored. :)

I love the paso doble -- the metaphor for the matador and his relationship with his cape in luring the bull. I don't know if you've ever read Ernest Hemingway, but he has written extensively about the seductive artistry of bullfighting.

While I know there are some who view the sport as macabre and inhumane, having read Hemingway <i>and</i> seen a <i>corrida</i> for myself (not to mention pros performing the paso doble), I certainly see Hemingway's point!!

IRISH_EYES_99 June 23rd, 2005 10:57 AM

(((((((((Minty, WA, Jo-Jo)))))))))

Minty, Peggy was so proud of you. Had so much love for you. This I know to be true, she and I spoke about on the phone several times. You not only danced for her, but she also said you were a great cook. :) Keep the good memories there the ones that you can share with a smile.

OMG the Hustle loved that dance. Rofl lots of fun memories with that one.

On the Dancing with Stars show.. I think Kelly ( from GH ) and her partner have really come a long way. Wasn't she a trooper with the wardrobe malfuction and all.. :) poor Kelly.

Now taking you back even futher .. The Stroll... That was a great fun dance...
.... leaves the folder singing and dancing... Come let's stroooool stroll across floor, turn around ...and stroll once more ....Strooooooooolllling Strooooling .... right out the door ;)

JoJo June 24th, 2005 09:12 PM

((((((((((Minty, WA, Irish Eyes, Addie))))))))))

Didn't ever read Hemingway, but of course, I know the "story" behind the paso doble (thanks for the spelling lesson). At the risk of being ignorant, is a corrida a bull fight? Where did you see it?

Here's a story to leave you all ROFL:

I used to wear spandex body suits and wrap-around skirts when I used to go to the discos. One night, I was dancing with this guy who was a really good dancer. After a little while, I noticed that my skirt had untied. Although it didn't fall off, I had to stop dancing to unwrap it to get it back together. The guy was so embarassed; all I could do was laugh - histerically. I thought it was hilarious! My friends and I were pratically ROFL.

Sorry Irish Eyes, I can't relate prior to the seventies, since I was born mid 50's - although I love a good jitterbug!

PS: I hope that ROFL is rolling of floor laughing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

IRISH_EYES_99 June 24th, 2005 09:27 PM

rofl is indeed rolling on the floor laughing (G) = grin :)

Ahhh (((((((( Jo-JO ))))))) you were born at a time when Rock and Roll was really beginning. It was a wonderful time . :) :heh: of course I'm told this . LMBO !! (((((( all ))))))

WA114 June 24th, 2005 09:59 PM

Yes, a <i>corrida de toros</i> is a bullfight. I saw it in Mexico City.

The <i>picadores</i> actually do all the difficult work. They come in on horseback and spear the bull with long lances adorned with fringe and ribbon. After that, during what's called the <i>suerte de banderillas</i> (<i>suerte</i> means 'luck'), three <i>banderillos</i> have to spear a pair of <i>banderillas</i> into the bull's back.

What most people think of when they think of a bullfight is actually the third <i>tercio</i> -- the final part of the spectacle, the <i>suerte suprema</i> -- in which the <i>matador</i> (from the verb <i>matar</i>, to kill) uses his <i>muleta</i>, a small red rag in a demonstration of his <i>faena</i>, or mastery in dominating the bull.

The paso doble is a dance that tries to mimick the <i>faena</i> and the artistic symbiosis between man and beast. The woman dances the part of the <i>muleta</i> while the man dances the part of the <i>matador</i>.

JoJo June 25th, 2005 10:47 AM

((((((((((All))))))))))

How very interesting, WA. I knew that the Matador only did the tercio (but didn't know what it was called). Had no idea of the details prior, though.

Since I was born when rock and roll was beginning, I can't relate to the 50's unless I'm dancing to it. That's ok, though - I have another era to remember. :D

IRISH_EYES_99 June 26th, 2005 10:08 PM

Life is a dance. Wouldn't you agree??? We are always dancing around issues, side stepping around people. and shaking off life's little problems. Why sometimes we even Sway in our thoughts about issues. Some cha cha back and forth to make their points . Swing votes carry some states. ;)

JoJo June 28th, 2005 09:03 PM

I never thought of life that way. I'm just starting to live without struggling (with one of those skeletons in the closet). lol I might be nice if people stopped "dancing around issued," though. I think some people need to take responsibility for their actions.

IRISH_EYES_99 June 29th, 2005 12:25 AM

Jo-Jo, Glad you are getting on your feet. Everyone has skeletons in their closets. Sometimes you just have to put them behind you. One of my sisters had a paper skeleton on her hall closet door.. so when you opened the door you saw the skeleton... Otherwise people dont' see them :)
Keep things going in a positive mode for yourself. Now is the time to take care of YOU. Yes you can.

JoJo July 3rd, 2005 10:41 AM

((((((((((Irish Eyes)))))))))) Thanks for your encouragement. I've been on my own for 3 yrs now and I feel good about myself. I guess I'm doing ok - I know everyone struggles with one thing or another. Now I'd like to find my significant other... That's a cute idea of your sister's. It kind of puts things in perspective. Now, every time I open a closet door, I'm going to have this image in my head!!! :D It'll make me lol every time!

WA114 July 3rd, 2005 09:21 PM

Jojo, what did you think of Joey's and Ashly's elimination last week? It's down to John and Charlotte versus Kelly and Alec.

I sure hope John and Charlotte win! They have great lines, good execution and carriage, and I love the dynamic between them -- they are so connected and their routines always tell a story. :D

JoJo July 4th, 2005 09:58 AM

I didn't think much of Joey from the get-go. He's too sloppy - no frame. I, too have a feeling that John and Charlotte will win the finals. They have a connection that none of the others have. Also, John looks like he's having fun. All the others look like me - that deer-in-the-headlights look. Kelly is really good, but she needs to work on her technique; she needs to find her style. She could be a good dancer...

I once had an opportunity to have a lesson with a pro. We worked on international rumba, and just for a split second, I felt that "connection." It was awesome - a feeling I'll never forget.

I've heard that there's going to be a new dance show and anyone can audition. My friends at work have asked me if I'm gonna "go for it." It's out of the question for 2 reasons: No partner, and I can't dance like I used to because of an injury. That's ok - I've had my time. I have 6 certificates, 2 metals, and 28 trophies to be proud of. I don't mean to brag, but this is the only accomplishment I've ever had. I'm a legend in my own mind!!!

WA114 July 4th, 2005 12:02 PM

JoJo, you know what my mom tells me? Some people have medals. Some people have Boy/Girl Scout badges. Some people have a bazillion letters after their name.

We only see what they tote around. We don't know the whole story. Sure, for some, it comes easy. But for others, they have to overcome a physical disability, financial hardship, and obstacles we can't even begin to imagine. That's what makes their accomplishments all the more remarkable...

I guess what I'm saying is that some people have nothing "tangible" but they have courage. Or stamina. Or humility. Or other qualities that are the envy of friends and colleagues.

Look inside your heart. If dancing brought you joy, that's the best trophy there is. :)

And another thing: you are making it on your own, finding your feet, your roots, your voice. And -- I hope -- you're where you are because of the strength of your convictions and your unwillingness to compromise them. That too, is something you should be very proud of. Let that be your prize!!

Take care.

JoJo July 9th, 2005 11:31 AM

((((((((((WA))))))))))

I couldn't agree with you more. All that I've learned and earned from my dancing was all for myself - not to impress anyone. Now that I've discovered that I have something called dysplasia, and a tear in the hip joint, my dancing days are over. But I know I can look back and be satisfied with my accomplishments.

Tangibles? They have very little meaning to me. Two years ago I found a lump in my breast. I stood in the middle of my newly furnished livingroom, in my newly purchased condo and thought, "None of this matters." It gave me one heck of an insight to what life is really all about.

I've learned a valuable lesson. What matter to me now are the things I can share with others. I work as a secretary in a hospital, part of the operating room "system." Relatives of patients always come to my office asking when the surgery will be finished. I see the anxiety, the hurt, the worry. I can't tell them that everything will be fine, but I can offer them compassion, a hug if they need it, and I always keep a box of tissues near by.

Now, after 48 years, I know why I'm here, why I have the job I have, and why I chose the medical field.

But I'll always be squeamish at the sight of a needle!!! :D

WA114 July 9th, 2005 02:20 PM

I <i>knew</i> there was a reason I like ya! :D

WillowWOW July 13th, 2005 09:01 PM

Now ain't Life grand? With all the questions as young people in time and with the blessings of the Creator we realize what where and the why we are here. Life is a Dance so dance away in balance and in harmony. That is all we can do.
Have a great day!:)

JoJo July 15th, 2005 09:32 PM

((((((((((WA, WillowWow))))))))))

Life is grand! I read a poster once:

You only have one life. But if you live it right, once is all you need.

The photograph was of someone diving off the cliffs of Alcapulco.

What's everyone's opinion of the results of Dancing with the Stars? I'm happy for Kelly - I rooted for her all along, but I thought John was going to win.

WA114 July 15th, 2005 10:05 PM

I'm disappointed. Of all the couples, I thought John and Charlotte had the best dance chemistry and connection. They were a real joy to watch: charisma, performance, dance chemistry, grace, polish, clean lines, good carriage.

Yes, Kelly really incorporated everything she was advised to do and really did improve significantly. I hope good things for her, but what can I say? She wasn't my pick. ;)

MintyFemme2 July 16th, 2005 01:52 PM

<~~ picks streakin Wa for a dance;)

WA114 July 16th, 2005 01:56 PM

Streaking? If you're referring to my hair, the highlights are gone now. :p

nobeefvv September 25th, 2007 03:36 PM

Heyyyy out there....who's all watching < Dancing with the Stars> ???

the women started out great..now we'll see what the guy's do..

IRISH_EYES_99 September 25th, 2007 11:17 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh nobeef, I missed last night, but did get to watch the guys tonight. Thought they were very good.

Maybe tomorrow they will do a recap of the gals dancing.

;) Love to watch them dancing. A lot of talent out there. Some not so talented. :)

hagn all

nobeefvv October 6th, 2007 03:03 AM

:mad: :mad:

they voted Albert Reed off ... I know I know should of voted

:( :(

IRISH_EYES_99 October 31st, 2007 10:13 AM

Black Cat

Black cat black cat,
Looking for a witch,
All around, the night as dark as Pitch,

You can see because your eyes are green
Black cat Black Cat
This is HALLOWEEN,

Happy Halloween everyone.;)

nobeefvv October 31st, 2007 04:27 PM

:eek: :eek: I'm looking for that black cat irish....:rolleyes: do you think I'll find it???????? if not I'll have a :drink: hmmmmmm and if I find a witch I'll have :drink: :drink:

peterr77 July 24th, 2012 12:26 PM

What a wonderful story

Jennifer23 June 24th, 2013 08:20 PM

Yes.