View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2001, 11:20 AM   #2
DrHilieWho

What really makes me angry is that legalizing abortion is hailed as something that's <i>needed</i> for safety's sake. 39 women died from abortion complications the last year they were illegal. (25 more women died from legal abortions in NY and CA) What happened to the thousands of women being butchered by back alley operations?

"How many deaths were we talking about when abortion was illegal? In NARAL[National Assoc. for Repeal of Abortion Laws], we generally emphasized the frame of the individual case, not the mass statistics, but when we spoke of the latter it was always ?5,000 to 10,000 deaths a year.? I confess that I knew the figures were totally false, and I suppose the others did too if they stopped to think of it. But in the ?morality? of our revolution, it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest statistics? The overriding concern was to get the laws eliminated, and anything within reason that had to be done was permissible."
B. Nathanson, Aborting America, Doubleday, 1979, p. 193

39 to 5000. That's a big difference.

Has safety been an issue that determined whether you were pro-life or pro-choice? What other factors are important to you?