View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #24
anniejoan

((( Susie ))) That is so cute! No wonder the kids will love making it and bringing it to their teacher. Isn't it amazing how creative people can be?! I have seen tons of booklets in craft stores over the past few years that are all about crafting with clay pots!

Hi Tala: Ask away!! That's how we all learn!! The number of threads of floss depends on the type of stitch and the type of fabric being used. With 6 strand embroidery floss, you can use 1 to 6 strands, depending on the effect you're after. And embroidery floss is only one type of thread you can use...others are pearl cotton, crewel wool etc.

If the pattern you are using doesn't tell you the type of thread or the number of strands to use, try making a little sampler swatch and experiment with the different numbers of threads for the different stitches you will be using on the same fabric as your project. That way, you can see what looks best. For example, the French Knot is a stitch for texture so it needs to be bulky, so generally 2 or 3 threads are used.

If you are doing cross stitch, the number of strands of embroidery floss is determined by the weave of the fabric used because the idea with cross stitch is to cover the fabric. Let me know if you want me to do a thread/fabric guide chart. I have tons of books and am sure I can find it.

Happy experimenting!!

anniejoan