View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2002, 08:29 PM   #19
Lou
Idealist

For three days, I've thought about this topic, thought about the miniature Reese's peanutbutter cups I sneak out of the big bag that my colleague keeps for her students, treats on exam days. I've thought about late afternoons at work when I have to be there until 7 p.m. and the vending machine where I plug in 60? for one of those peanut covered logs that stays me for a while. I've thought about being a child on the bus to Santa Ana with my mother and the bag of bridge mix she'd buy at the J.C. Penney's candy counter, picking out the good ones while we rode the bus home. I've thought about the way a pineapple Life-Saver lasts a looooong time on my tongue. I've remembered a little girl in my daughter's Girl Scout troop, whose turn it was to provide snacks for the troop meeting, but her mother wasn't into GS, so the treat was a box of brown sugar that the little girl took from the pantry. I've thought about a friend in elementary school who taught me to eat dry Jell-O by sticking my tongue into the little bag, how good and surprising that was. I've thought about the robust chocolate bars in Spain, the bittersweet chocolate chunks in France, the milky dollops of chocolate in England. If I could have any candy I wanted RIGHT NOW, I would choose a frozen banana dipped into melted dark chocolate, then rolled in chopped nuts, all kinds of nuts--almonds, walnuts, cashews. Oh, and I do favor candied violets. :-)