View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Melynn
Queen Goddess

I'm not sure that I object to being refered to as a female, depending on the situation, but I find it interesting and rather annoying that they used men and female as opposed to men and women or males and females.

I went to Merriam-Webster online and looked up the definitions of four words. Female: Male: Man: Woman:

There was no reference to livestock however the word female and male are certainly used for any species. The stand out difference to me is that man and woman denote the adult female and male human. Only adult and only human. The word female can refer to any age and of course, as I said above, any species.

Right now, I can't think of a situation where I've encountered or heard men being used with female. Forms usually ask if you are male or female and the police and courts refer to the male or female suspect or defendent, etc.

At the very least it sounds to me like the spititual group you're thinking of attending could use some education. I would point it out to them and watch their reaction.
Melynn is offline   Reply With Quote