Thread: Bunnies!
View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Tammy

Bunnies!

I have 2 bunnies. I got Brandi first, she's a chocolate and white dutch bunny. When we got her, she weighed in at a hefty 13 ounces.. now she's full grown at 4.5 pounds.

My second bunny is Schnappes.. the one in my gif right now. She's a full size Holland Lop.. she was 16 ounces when we got her and at her last vet appointment, she was half grown at 9 pounds.

When I got Brandi, I did it reeeeeally wrong. I had NO IDEA what kinda maintenance bunnies require. All I really knew was that she was cute and sweet and I just couldn't not have her.

Boy was I suprised to find out it ain't just pellet and water in nice lil cage. They need tons of attention and they need lots of "chew-proof" room to run around. I also didn't know that bunnies have a 7-10 year lifespan.

Now, it's April and Easter is coming up.. and I see pet stores full of bunnies and little kids begging.. and my heart breaks for the bunnies. Like any other pet you ever get, they're a huge responsibility and a huge committment.. they're not toys and they're not a "starter pet" for kids.

So, with Easter coming up and all those cute bunnies in the pet stores.. please, please, PLEASE don't buy one "for Easter".. take the time and research what bunnies need and make an informed decision. The House Rabbit Society - http://www.rabbit.org - has tons of information.

In my case, my first decision wasn't informed and it could have been a disaster. I had no clue what I was getting myself into. When we added Schnappes to our family, I was much more informed and much more thoughtful about it.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote