Thread: The "F" word
View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #24
brede
my new motorcycle

Great definition of feminism. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, I was one of those politically active, feminist hippies. I was attending college at the state capitol and participated in many sit in's and some rowdy demonstrations. Ahhh, the good old days! LOL!

With gay marriage being a front page issue now, it has reminded me of the legal marginalising of woman. Supposedly, this country(US) was founded on the rule of law with certain unalienable rights. But, women are still not recognized as equals under the law. The Equal Rights Amendment was never ratified by enough states to be added to the constitution. I've been being obnoxious lately by sending my elected "representatives" some tersely worded emails.

Gay rights, women's rights are civil (legal)rights that are supposed to be guarantteed (sp?) through the constitution. Churches/religions have the right to choose whether to marry same sex couples. But, the government does not. A marriage license is a legal document. Simple and easy. Women are equal, simple and easy.

How do things get so muddled up and what are governments afraid of?