View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:00 PM   #5
jagguar
Melbourne, Australia

Happy New Year

Happy New Year everyone! It's already New Year's Day here in Australia, and so far, I have stuck to my lower cholesterol resolution. Heh. Had fruit for breakfast, and for lunch I plan to make myself a salad.

Exercising regularly is a much harder thing to do if it is not your habit. I remember one time getting up every morning at 6 am to go swimming. Couldn't do it now, though I did it for almost 2 years. Got very fit though, as a result.

RE the low cholesterol tips, I have a friend who is a dietitian who has given me lots of tips, and reading material to check out. The main thing is to eat less if you are overeating, and to limit total fat intake.

To limit total fat intake, strictly limit butter, margarine, oil and salad dressing. Instead of oil in a salad dressing, have it without, or use lemon juice or orange juice or something like that.

Remove visible fat from meats, and grill instead of frying.

Choose low fat (or no fat) milk and yoghurt. Low fat cheese.

Limit intake of avocado, olives, olive oil, nuts.

Limit egg yolks to 1-2 per week.

Limit consumption of seafood.

Dietary fibere can help lower cholesterol - wholmeal or oats and oat bran. Have fresh fruit and vegies with skin where possible. The white pith of grapefruit for instance, has a cholesterol lowering substance in it.

Limit or omit alcohol, because of the effect on triglycerides.

Limit intake of soft drinks, sweet biscuits, cakes and slices - set limits for these treats.

Oh, and one very significant contributor to high cholesterol is stress. If you are stressed, then do things like meditation, yoga, listening to calming music, relaxing in other ways to reduce your stress level.

jagguar is offline   Reply With Quote