Thread: Pet stories
View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Minou
Minou

Smile My furry kids

What a great bunch of pets! tjterri63, it is great to have these "kids" in your life. For the first time in 25 years I've got a dog and the first time in my life a puppy. Summer026, I know what it's like to lose a pet. I lost my 18 year old cat last year. I'm very happy your kitten came back. There is such a bond!

I still have a 2 year old cat who sits in the window and "tells off" the birds. He is quite busy with that. He insists on having the window open- summer with air conditioner and winter a bit difficult, but for a bit we accommodate him. He also plays "peek-a-boo" with me. I stand around the corner and say: " I see you!" He then crouches down and jumps up and hugs my legs. He sleeps on my head every night.

I also have a 6 month old Golden-doodle. She is very big- 60 lbs already and 24 inches tall. Like your golden retriever, tjterri63, she feels everyone is her best friend and if she sees someone her tail goes wild. If they pet her she is a happy puppy. If they ignore her she has a shocked look on her face, gives a great big groan and sits-very disappointed.
When outside, especially when there is a bit of wind, she puts her head to the wind, sits like a little statue on our front lawn- people think she is a great big stuffed teddy-bear.
When she plays with smaller dogs, she sits down and plops her great big paw on top of them. I'm teaching her to be gentle. At 6 months old she doesn't know her own strength. With children, she sits and gives a paw continuously until they or their parents hold it.

When we say the word "dog-park", she jumps up and picks up her leash, sits in front of the door and starts to whine- so unless we are prepared to go to the park, we cannot say that word.

My cat and dog are in cahoots with each other. My cat, sits on the counter or table and slowly, but surely pushes things off so that my puppy can chew on it. I've got to be very alert as to what stays out on the tables and counters.

With my puppy, my cat initiates play by jumping on the counter, table or anything higher than my puppy and jumps on her back. That is the start of a chase around the house, which usually ends with the cat jumping on the window sill where the puppy can't reach him and the puppy staring him down for a while.

Now that I have my puppy and my cat, I feel so great. Just to be able to look after them feels so wonderful. They really are my "kids". Can't imagine a life without them.
Minou is offline   Reply With Quote