View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1
celebratingwomen

Empowering young girls around sexual health

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to to get your thoughts on this subject. Where is the fine line of over sexualizing (in an already over sexualized society) and giving your daughter all the information to grow into a healthy sexual woman?

I have a very mature nine year old that I have always openly discussed the technical info on names of body parts and how a baby is made. I am 36 years old and have an extremely healthy sexual relationship with my husband of 10 years. I find that amongst the women that I socialize with, most of them are not having a great sexual relationship with their partners. I absolutely don't want this for my daughter. As her mother and her teacher, I take responsibility for all aspects of her life to help her grow into the best well rounded individual.

I know that some kids are already self-stimulating at this age and I wanted to have some sort of discussion with her around this and also the emotional piece around sex. That yes, sex is how babies are made but that is not why most adults have it. (ADULTS being the key word).

So is nine too young? I'm worried that because I am so comfortable around the importance of sexual health as a woman, that I am introducing information and ideas about womanhood at too young of an age.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and how to guide young girls into womanhood.
celebratingwomen is offline   Reply With Quote