Thread: Recipe Swap
View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2001, 12:28 AM   #110
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

This is one I shared in Cooking Chat, but I can't enter it into the contest because I copied it from Cooking Light (July/August 1994 issue, page 96) so it's copyrighted, but several people requested I post it, so here it is:

<b>Beef Fajita Salad in a Tortilla Bowl</b>

1 pound lean flank steak
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 (more) teaspoon chili powder
1 cup shredded lettuce
2 cups seeded, diced, unpeeled tomatoes
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream alternative
1/2 cup guacamole (or "mock guac")
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Destructions:

Trim fat from steak; cut steak diagonally into thin slices. Combine steak, onion, tomatillo salsa, hot sauce, and 1/4 tsp. chili powder in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag. Seal bag; marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to one hour.

Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray; sprinkle 1 teaspoon of chili powder evenly over both sides of tortillas. Place each tortilla over the bottom of a 10-oz. custard cup coated with cooking spray; shape the tortillas around the inverted custard cups to form baskets. Place cups on a baking sheet; bake at 375? for 10 minutes or until tortillas are crisp. Set aside to cool.

Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add steak mixture, and saute for 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.

To serve, place 1/4 cup shredded lettuce, 3/4 cup steak mixture, and 1/2 cup diced tomato into each tortilla basket. Top each with 2 tablespoons sour cream alternative and 2 tablespoons guacamole or mock guac. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon of sliced green onions.

Yield: 4 servings.

The woman who submitted the recipe, Marilou Robinson of Portland, Oregon, said the following: "The browned baskets tinted with red chili powder are beautiful. Friends tell me I must have put a lot of time and effort into this dish, which just isn't the case."