Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old January 19th, 2002, 01:12 PM   #1
DrHilieWho

Breastfeeding

Brag or vent, just know you're not alone
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:38 PM   #2
DrHilieWho

Somebody told me once that breastfeeding is like using a car seat. It may not be convenient but it is the responsible thing to do. I just keep repeating it to myself over and over. There are always a few problems to weed out in the beginning - latch on and supply problems - I'm sure in a month we'll have them all worked out. It's just so hard to remember at 3 am. lol
Old February 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #3
DrHilieWho

Rare Form of Breast Cancer

I'm posting this here too, because the symptoms can be confused with things that happen while you are nursing.

<i>This was a forward sent to another message board I'm amember of. It checked out at ( http://www.snopes2.com/toxins/paget.htm ) Urban Legends.</i>

"The sister of my friend developed a rash on her breast, similar to that of young mothers who are nursing. Because her mammogram had been clear, the doctor treated her with antibiotics for infections. After 2 rounds and it continued to get worse, her doctor sent her for another mammogram, and this time it showed a mass.

A biopsy found a fast growing malignancy. Chemo was started in order to shrink the growth; then mastectomy; then a full round of Chemo; then radiation. After about 9 months of intense treatment, she was given a clean bill of health.

One year of living each day to its fullest. Then the cancer returned to the liver area. She took 4 treatments and decided that she wanted quality of life, not the after effects of Chemo. We had 5 great months and she planned each detail of the final days. After just a few days of needing morphine, she slipped away saying she had done what God had sent her into the world to do and now it was her time to go.

PLEASE be alert to any thing that is not normal, and be persistent in getting help as soon as possible. Her message is shown below:

Paget's Disease: This is a rare form of breast cancer and is on the outside of the breast, on the nipple and aureola. It appeared as a rash, which later became a lesion with a crusty outer edge. I would not have never suspected it to be breast cancer but it was. My nipple never seemed any different to me, but the rash bothered me, so I went to the doctor.

Sometimes, it itched and was sore, but other than that it didn't bother me. It was just ugly and a nuisance, and could not be cleared up with all the creams prescribed by my doctor and dermatologist for the dermatitis on my eyes just prior to this outbreak. They seemed a little concerned but did not warn me it could be cancerous.

Now, I suspect there are not many women out there who know a lesion or rash on the nipple or aureola can be breast cancer. Mine started out as a single red pimple on the aureola.

One of the biggest problems with Paget's disease of the nipple is that the symptoms appear to be harmless. It is frequently thought to be a skin inflammation or infection, leading to unfortunate delays in detection and care. What are the symptoms? The symptoms include:

1. A persistent redness, oozing, and crusting of your nipple causing it to itch and burn. (As I stated, mine did not itch or burn much, and had no oozing I was aware of, but it did have a crust along the outer edge on one side.)

2. A sore on your nipple that will not heal. (Mine was on the aureola area with a whitish thick looking area in center of nipple).

3. Usually only one nipple is affected.

How is it diagnosed?

Your doctor will do a physical exam and should suggest having a mammogram of both breasts, done immediately. Even though the redness, oozing and crusting closely resemble dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), your doctor should suspect cancer if the sore is only on one breast. Your doctor should order a biopsy of your sore to confirm what is going on.

This message should be taken seriously and passed on to as many of your relatives and friends as possible; it could save someone's life. My breast cancer has spread and metastasized to my bones after receiving meg doses of chemotherapy, 28 treatments of radiation andtaking Tamaxofin. If this had been diagnosed as breast cancer in the beginning, perhaps it would not have spread..."
Old February 16th, 2002, 04:37 PM   #4
susieB28

Thanks for the info Hilie, can never hurt to be informed!
Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:19 PM   #5
DrHilieWho

A study published last month in the journal Pediatrics concludes that breastmilk is a natural painkiller. Infants given shots while being breastfed showed little to no reaction, while infants not being breastfed cried an average of 72 seconds.

One more reason to keep up the good work.
Old October 31st, 2002, 12:37 AM   #6
DrHilieWho

Let's talk about Lynn!
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/G..._at_eight.html

Lynn Stucky that is...the woman who's had her child removed due to extended nursing. She was charged with sexual abuse when her five year old's babysitter said he told her he was forced to nurse. This has since been proven untrue. Something this article fails to mention is the babysitter was insistant on having the child placed with her permanently - and for whatever bizarre reason the state complied. He lived with her for six months, and she fought tooth and nail when they decided to return him to his mother.

I think Lynn's son is suffering a major side effect from being taken from his mother and placed with his babysitter, a woman who tried to convince him and everyone else he was being sexually abused and that she would be his "new mommy." That and having the world at large told that he was still nursing, and that something loving he shared with his mother was turned into something dirty and illegal.

I feel for them both. I don't think Lynn should be using her situation as a platform though. She is not the typical en situation, and she might be doing more harm to the cause than good.

btw, I am hoping to nurse this baby until he self-weans but just like I am planning on waiting to potty train until he is ready, I think we have to offer a little support too...encouragement

What are your thoughts?
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:11 PM   #7
tupi

As many of you well know, I'm a stalwart proponent of breast-feeding. I nursed my toddler and was called to task for being so foolish time and time again. I was told my son would end up being a mama's boy; he would never trust anyone; he would be confused and eventually he'd become a homosexual. That toddler is now the most self-reliant and self-confident young man I know.

I always encourage women who feel comfortable nursing their toddlers to do so. Nursing a toddler isn't the same as an infant. Toddlers nurse only at times of stress or discomfort or when they need to be calmed. The same goes for older toddlers. It's not a matter of nutrition, but a matter of motherly love and comfort. I know plenty of people who are repulsed by the idea of a child of 5 nursing at his mother's breast, so I suggest they don't do it. It's not wrong, nor is it sexual. It's mothering.

Our society has a serious problem with the act of nursing in the first place, but I'm still surprised a court would uphold such a claim. "Forced" to nurse? I have to wonder who's ass the court's head was up...Hugh Hefner's perhaps? After all, our society seems to be obsessed with sex and the sexual function of the female breast. I believe protecting a child from sexual abuse is vital, but it's time to use our brains! The Jerry Springer school of psychological profiling will never lead to a responsible society!
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:56 PM   #8
CAB220

Very true Tupi
Old November 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM   #9
DrHilieWho

I agree too, and in this boy's case I think the court caused a lot of damage. They've taken him from his mom again because of the television interview.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM   #10
DrHilieWho

One MORE reason to breastfeed ...

Our son, Lian, is now 21 months and still nursing. He's our last baby and I want to do my very best, and he's gotten a lot of health benefits from breastmilk. I have as well.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago he started having really high fevers - hovering between 104 and 105. We took him to his doctor where they loaded him up with antibiotics and sent him home with tonsillitis. The next day we were back first thing in the morning. He still had high fevers, but his eyes were completely bloodshot and his tongue was swollen and lumpy. His doctor put him in the hospital right away. For several days his fever stayed high and he developed a rash, and had trouble moving. We were very scared, and of course he had to suffer through blood draws and multiple iv's and even a spinal tap. It was terrible.

Thankfully our doctor suspected it was Kawasaki Disease - a very rare illness with no known cause and serious side-effects. In Des Moines they confirmed the diagnosis and were able to start treating him. Again, more problems with iv's and hydration and all of that. Now he's home, and relatively healthy, and they think that neither his heart nor his joints (the most common factors of the illness) were hurt.

What does this have to do with nursing?

1) The only thing he would eat after his tongue swelled was breastmilk.

2) Despite nursing 24-7 the high fever kept him dehydrated enough to make keeping his iv's in place nearly impossible. Without the breastmilk he would have been 10x worse (so say his doctors).

3) Asthma and allergies are also side-effects of Kawasaki Disease, and so far he is in the clear. Breastmilk helps prevent both problems, so I am positive it had an effect.

4) The natural painkillers in breastmilk helped him face all the poking and prodding.

5) Nursing kept us both calm in under tremendous amounts of stress.

I'm so thankful that I continued nursing after the point most people started giving us problems over it, and I'm glad I had all of you for support in my decision to nurse my other children. Don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty for giving your children the best you possibly can, and trust yourself that you can do it.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:02 PM   #11
LiamFan!

{{{{DrHilieWho}}}}}

What a trial! I'm glad your little guy is better now, or at least on the mend. And good for you for continuing nursing after people gave you a hard time....it's nobody's business, really, how long you decide to nurse.