Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old March 18th, 2002, 06:55 PM   #16
LiamFan!

Carpets aren't immortal; if the carpet is old, there isn't a whole lot you can do to make it look better, especially if it's inexpensive carpet which it probably is if you're renting.

The only way I've ever experienced that makes a carpet look MUCH better is to have it steam cleaned. Unfortunately, even renting a steam cleaning machine is going to run you upwards of $50.

Spot cleaning can be accomplished with a wonderful product called Power Shot, made by Woolite. This stuff is phenomenal, and chemically the same as the Rug Doctor spot cleaner. Don't let the little ones crawl around while it's wet, though.
Old March 18th, 2002, 07:12 PM   #17
DrHilieWho

Thanks for the tip Liam
Old March 18th, 2002, 11:36 PM   #18
Cinderellen

I don't know how old it is, or if it is matted down, but wall to wall plush can be fluffed slightly with a VERY wide toothed comb. It is tedious work, and becomes less and less worth it as it ages, but try a small section and see if it is worth doing. Make sure, however, that you aren't combing out the yarns.
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #19
DrHilieWho

My grandmother told me to go over it with a fork A comb sounds like a more realistic approach because it is wall to wall. Thanks Cinder!
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:59 AM   #20
kathe nichols

DrHilie, we rent one of those carpet cleaners from the grocery store about once a year (overdue for it right now!). It really does take up the spots and at least on our fairly short carpet, picks it back up. Just be sure to do it on a day when you can open all the windows to help it dry!

I just came up with an idea last night for helping Kendra (10 yrs) *really* clean up her room. Asking her to have the whole room "perfect" (her word for what I call really clean) is overwhelming to her, so it never really happens. I'm going to break the room up into "squares" or zones, and have her do one each day, without messing up the ones already done. About 2 weeks worth of squares, I think (it's a pretty big room) then repeat.

I got this idea talking with a friend who cleans one room of her house every day. I'll let you know how it works!
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:12 PM   #21
DrHilieWho

kathe, hope the plan goes over well.

We've talked about renting a rug doctor or steamer later this spring. Hopefully we can get it really cleaned up by the time the baby starts crawling.
Old November 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #22
frozen5

Am I the only one these days who "can't see her carpet"? lol Is it me or does it seem the less you are home the dirtier the house gets? For someplace that's only lived in 1/2 the day but can things get out of hand.
frozen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #23
LiamFan!

Oh, you're not alone, frozen. LOL