<i>Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage
Go together like a horse and carriage!
Let me tell you Sisters,
It's more fun than a rousing game of TWISTER!</i>

ShadowWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2001, 09:11 AM   #2
Daisy

Smile

Marriage will be the toughest job you'll ever take on.
But in some cases the most rewarding life time achievement.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2001, 11:03 AM   #3
Windstorm

Relationship Predator Busters Online Website

I have started a new website where women can go to tell their horror stories of their adultering husbands. We profile men who systematically con women for money or sex.
We track and uncover their activities and make them known to the world. Please visit my sites.

Relationship Predator Busters Online;
http://rpbo.tripod.com/RPBO/

Seashore Poetry Critiques:
http://members.tripod.com/sandyshorespoetry/

Thanks Arlene Longson/Thatcher
seapoet@shaw.ca
Old July 31st, 2002, 04:13 PM   #4
Tammy

This was in today's Charlotte Observer. The original article is posted at
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...on/3768601.htm

Quote:
Posted on Wed, Jul. 31, 2002

COMMENTARY
One missed kiss may be too much
TOMMY TOMLINSON

The coal miner named Blaine Mayhugh left for work last Wednesday afternoon without kissing his wife.

Instead he went on to work. He rode down into the Quecreek Mine for the second shift. You probably know the rest.

Mayhugh and eight other miners were trapped when water flooded their shaft. They spent more than three days in there before being pulled out early Sunday morning.

They would've died if not for their smarts down below, and the skill and heart and luck of the rescuers up above.

After Mayhugh made it out, after he was cleaned up and checked out, he talked about the first thing he thought about down in the mine:

That kiss he missed.

His wife, Leslie, had been cutting the grass. So just that once, he let it go.

Just that once.

And in that moment the coal miner opened the gap between passion and compulsion.

Every couple knows that on some days, the goodbye kiss becomes just another item on the morning checklist. Shower, breakfast, hair dryer, Iloveyou, crank the car.

Of course you never intend it that way. Some mornings you get to linger. Every morning you want to linger. But life moves fast.

And every once in a while, somebody ends up like Blaine Mayhugh, haunted by the little thing he didn't do.

Logic tells you that the important thing would be to live your life together in a way that one kiss wouldn't matter.

But the heart knows it matters, and the brain does too.

It's not just about love. It's a sense of completion, of having taken care of things.

The goodbye kiss is regret insurance. If the worst happens, you're covered.

It sounds cold at first, mixing the passion of a lifetime with the actuarial tables.

But when you get in the middle of it, you realize just how warm it is.

Every long relationship is made up of a million tiny moments.

The moments can be what you want them to be -- a goodbye kiss, a wink across the supper table, a hand grasped in the moonlight.

Each one doesn't mean much in itself. But after awhile they accumulate into something strong enough to stand on.

You don't have to write a sonnet to your loved one every day. You don't have to buy a dozen roses. You just have to add a little something to the pile.

Tell the people you love that you love them. Most folks don't need much more than that.

Blaine Mayhugh's wife probably didn't love him any less because they didn't kiss that afternoon. Chances are, she barely thought about it at the time.

But if he hadn't made it out of that mine, she surely would've been haunted by that one loose end.

People talk about seizing the day. That's a good idea on paper, but if you seize three or four days in a row you'll need to sleep for a week.

The key is to seize those little moments.

They mean nothing.

They mean everything.

Tommy Tomlinson
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #5
wicca

Unhappy

my soon to be husben is in basic tranning and
wicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #6
brede
my new motorcycle

I bet you miss him a lot. When my son went in the Navy in Jan. 2001, I never had a chance to talk to him about it. He had already enlisted because of the college money. He was really too young to have paid much attention to the Gulf War. And I remember the Viet Nam undeclared War all too well.

I wrote a letter to my son everyday and my husband, Greg, also wrote everyday. I think Greg's letters were most helpful because he is a vet. My father also wrote, and he too is a vet. They both understood better than I what he was going through.

Pirate, my son, had a harsh awakening on 9/11. He was in advanced training when he called me and simply said to turn on the TV and he had to go. He ended up in the war for almost a year. He is back in the states, soon to get out and come home.

Your husband to be has some knowledge of what he is facing. That takes a strong and confident man to willingly go. Be very proud of him. A man like that will make a good partner in life.

Something that may help you is to find out if there are other women in your area with loved ones in the military. There may be a USO, a VFW or American Legion that will know about what is in your area.

Please keep writing here. This is a very supportive place.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #7
wicca

Unhappy

well i'm 18 hes 20 and my mom and dad don't know about our plains getting married util he comes home so me and him have to keep things underwraps and make sure my mother and father don't find out yet and my daddy was in the army and he went to the same basic tranning as my soon to be husben and my dad isn't really giveing me really much support but my mom is and i work so much to atleast get some things off of my mine because if i have it on my mind at work i don't wanna get fired its paying for to fix my car and my college and cell phone bill and some times my job gets really stressful and the only way i can calm down is to hear his voice telling me its ok and i can't and i have to hear his voice befor i go to bed so i can sleep i can't its just so hard i miss him and love him with all my heart and soul if anything happened to him i don't think i could live any more he is like my knight and shineing armer.
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #8
brede
my new motorcycle

Your dad doesn't understand what you are going through. Your mom does. It is sort of like being sick. I would much rather be the one having surgery than the one waiting and caring for a surgical patient. Your Dad was too busy to be able to really think about what was going on. Your Mom wasn't, so she had a lot of time to think about it.

When I was 17, my long term, going to get married to, boyfriend was drafted into the Army. This was during the Viet Nam draft. So, I can relate. It was a difficult time. But, I learned that if I concentrated enough when I went to bed, that I could hear his voice. After doing that for a while, I could recall his image, his touch and his voice anytime I wanted to. Maybe you can try that. Start first by thinking about his scent. If he wears a particular scent, then go buy some if it helps. Your olfactory (scent) memory is the most powerful memory type.

And, wicca, no matter what happens to us in life, life goes on. I know this from experience. We may absolutly hate what is happening, but we do have the ability to cope with anything. You can both make it through this. And I'll be here to help you all the way through.

((((((((wicca))))))))
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #9
wicca

my mommy met my daddy after he was in the military
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #10
brede
my new motorcycle

But I'll bet your mother can imagine what you are going through!

My husband and I didn't get together until he had been out of the military for about 8 years. I don't know about my parents. My Dad was in the Navy during WWII. My maternal grandfather was in WWI before he married. He was a journalist and wrote long letters home. My paternal grandfather was also in WWI and kept a rather sparse diary. They had known each other for years because of their love of sports. They each played on their city teams and competed against each other frequently. This was well before my parents were born.

My mother took all the letters and all the diary notes and combined them with factual info. It is an incredibly interesting thing to read.

But the most interesting part of all was something my maternal grandfather wrote at the beginning of WWII. He was worried about his son having to go to war (John was only 10), but he wrote very descriptively about how he felt during WWI, what he saw, that he could still smell the mustard gas and still had nightmares. From my perspective as a mental health counselor, all his memories ten years later show that he had what we call today Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I think they called it shell shock then.

My paternal grandfather committed suicide in 1937. Partly because of the genetic/family history of suicide, but he was also a changed man when he returned from WWI.

Greg's father (I refer to him as Dad) was also in WWII, but saw a lot more combat (several years). His behaviour when he came home ended his first marriage. All his behaviour indicated PTSD. Since he had the traffic accident on June 21st that killed Mom , I am certain that his PTSD has been reactivated. He is 87 and shouldn't have been driving; the accident was his fault - he turned in front of someone. We have been after him for the past 5-7 years to stop driving.

I'm very concerned about him and Greg's brother has power of attorney and will not let us speak to the doctors, counselors or nurses. It makes me very angry, as the brother does not have a clue about the past PTSD. We will be visiting Dad the first part of September and will be having a conference with Dad's lawyer.

All three of Dad's boys have been asked by the lawyer to come to his office to read Mom's will. Bruce says everything went to Dad, so he is disposing of the estate. Dad has not filed the death certificate so the will is still sealed. It is very possible that Dad doesn't know the contents of the will as Mom was a woman who knew her own mind. He will only file it if all three boys are there. It makes me wonder about the assumption Bruce has made about the estate. It may even end up with Bruce being arrested. *evil grin*

Enough about that mess.

How are you holding up? Feel free to email me or send a private message.