Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old January 12th, 2001, 11:11 PM   #1
AuntieWOW

How do you help your child through the transition from "child" to "teen"? Is there anything you can do now to prevent the teen years from being a nightmare?
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2001, 02:57 PM   #2
Cinderellen

I am in that stage with my oldest son now. At the moment he seems like a really nice kid (he's 11 1/2). I think all the foundations have to have been laid before now. Now is the time to step back a hair and see how they do. I keep talking, however, on the theory that if i keep putting it in, it will come back out I keep talking about responsibility in relationships with girls, how bad drugs are, how bad ciggies are, and I stress that he is NOT the only person in the universe LOL I feel like at this point he still hears me, and maybe when he is 16, he will still hear my voice in the back of his head "preaching" to him
Cinderellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2001, 06:21 PM   #3
frozen5

(((((Cinderellen))))) I agree with you! And keep talking to him! They say that they may act like they are not listening when they really are. My son is also 11 and testing us at every turn it seems. Case in point: This past weekend he decided to sneak out of the house when I was in the laundry room. I noticed he was gone right away. I ask that they let me know where they are going not so much to be nosey but to know in the case of an emergancy. (of course he thinks I'm just being nosey) Well when I called the kids in for dinner there was no responce from him. Of course his father and I became worried. We started asking friends if they had seen him and that if they saw him to please send him home. Well we hopped into the van and ended up on a drastic search. We did find him hours later hiding in the woods. When asked why he ran off and hid his responce was, "I didn't think anyone would come looking for me." Of course we saw it as a cry for help. But come the following day he took off twice! See he thought that since he didn't get into trouble for the hiding act the day before that he could take off at anytime and go anywhere with no problems. His father and I are at a loss here. We never did this. Outside of explaining to him how his actions were wrong we don't see anything else we can do.

Ok....I wrote this in between laundry, kids, and the phone. So if it doesn't make total sense don't worry. lol
frozen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 07:48 PM   #4
Cinderellen

Gosh frozen, I just saw this post, what happened? I would have had a hard time with that one too. My instinct would have been the same as yours, that it was a cry for help, but when he did it a second time, I think it would be a long time before he saw his playstation again. What happened?
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #5
pegasus
, a gr8 peer support

my 14 year old the other day said something wild he was talking about how he was in a situation where he was tempted to do something he knew, from years of my teaching it, to be wrong. he said" sometimes , mom, sometimes i hate that u HAD to give me a concious!!? I still worry about him and all but just that one thing made me realize that i had spent all his life giving him the right tools.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote