Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old February 17th, 2001, 02:21 PM   #1
DrHilieWho

What are your thoughts on current immunizations? Are there shots you avoid? Why?

Old February 22nd, 2001, 07:29 AM   #2
Kitkat95

I think that anyone can educate themselves easily on every shot out there...escpecially with the internet. Before I had my son vaccinated I read everything I possibly could to find out what would or could happen, the death rate, and so on. I found that in most cases there was more good information than bad. Its unfortunate that some babies who recieve shots die. Where I'm from they gave me a pamplet on the shots and what exactly problem symptoms to look for. I watched a show on Montel Williams where a family had taken their baby to get shots, but had no information on what could happen and what possible reactions were. Their baby died, because they didn't know what to look for. Demand information is what I say! I don't do anything until I know exactly whats going to happen and why it needs to be done. Not just shots though everything!!!

Today I am taking my son to get his 3rd set of shots and will be watching him like a hawk with phone in hand!!

I was wondering how people felt about kids not getting vaccinated. That was on a show too, and the parents were talking about how they should have a choice. Schools do not let kids enroll unless they have been properly vaccinated. How would you feel about having a child who could possibly contract these diseases sitting next to your child in school???

I feel that if properly educated that people can realize that the shots are good!!! I believe in vaccinations and believe that all children should have them.
Kitkat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2001, 10:06 AM   #3
LiamFan!

Here, children can attend school without being vaccinated if the parents have signed a waiver showing that they have religious objections to vaccinations.

The result? We recently had a whooping cough outbreak.

I used to work with a guy who used to tell me that polio wasn't any worse than a cold, and that the vaccination was more dangerous than the disease. EVERYONE needs to do research.

Our son didn't receive the chicken pox vaccine because it had just come out the year he should have gotten it, and I didn't feel comfortable enough with it, feeling that the risks outweighed the benefits. His pediatrician agreed. He did get chicken pox and luckily it wasn't severe.

Kitkat, you're right. People need to educate themselves on all medical procedures, including side effects of drugs, etc.
Old March 4th, 2001, 11:30 AM   #4
DrHilieWho

This is an EXCELLENT source of information on all kinds of treatments for children.
http://www.pcc.com/lists/pedtalk.archive/
It's the archive of a pediatrician's message board Great reading. You get the inside scoop on everything.

Since our son was born two vaccines that doctors suggested we give him have been taken off the market. That's scarey. Oral polio was causing polio in parents of newly vaccinated kids. People still don't know for sure whether the MMR has a connection with autism, but there was enough evidence to hold a Senate hearing on it. With the new chicken pox vaccine, they still don't know whether a booster shot will be needed down the road. Questions like that, in my opinion, should be answered before a vaccine is released to the public.

In general I think vaccines are good, but you have to judge them individually. Generally we look at whether someone is more likely to get the disease or to have a reaction to the shot, the severity of symptoms and risks associated with the disease vs the complications. When there is a question of whether a shot is safe or not, I don't think any child should receive it. If parents hadn't started asking questions and refusing oral polio it would probably have replaced the shot version, and people would have continued to be hurt by it.
Old March 4th, 2001, 11:59 AM   #5
LiamFan!

Hilie, doctors should have informed those parents that the oral polio vaccine contains live virus and, if they weren't vaccinated against polio (I won't say 'what adult isn't?' because I'm not...due to a series of circumstances that led to my not being vaccinated).

When my son was vaccinated against polio, I was warned not to change his diaper for x-amount of time (Rick changed him most of the time anyway, so that was okay).

Regarding autism, I've done some reading on the connection to the DPT. Doing a cursory search just now, I see there has been concern over autism and the MMR as well. I'm skeptical, but willing to do more reading.
Old March 4th, 2001, 02:22 PM   #6
Terri

I discussed vaccinations with my sons pediatrician after he was born and she was very helpful and shared with me her own concerns as a mother and a doctor over some of the vaccines. My son was not vaccinated for pertussis (the P part of the DPT) until after he was 18 months old. She said that studies showed (this was 13 years ago) that the chances for reaction were slimmer after the babies brain was developed past one year. I trusted her judgement along with the material she gave me to read, we did not have the internet then like we do now. My son has never had chicken pox even after much exposure to family members and at school, and he has never been vaccinated for it because I don't think they had that when he was little.

As far as people who do not get their children vaccinated, I feel that they are putting their children at risk for nothing. In Amish communities the diseases that we consider obsolete are very much a part of life for them, polio, measles, whooping cough, mumps, etc. Communities that are sequestered like the Amish put the population at large at risk by not vaccinating. They do have contact with the general population at markets, etc. They make and can products that are sold to outsiders thereby generating a very real risk to others so that I feel that vaccinating our children is important. But it is a personal choice and I recognize that too. My sister has never had any of her children vaccinated against anything.
Old March 5th, 2001, 10:54 AM   #7
Addie

As a child I received only the "dead" polio vaccine. My daughter was born in 1988. Even then her doctor warned me about the risks to me, as well as grandparents! When I had to change her diaper within X amount of hours of her receiving the live vaccine, I used disposable gloves and washed well.

The controversy over live vs. dead polio vaccine has been going on since I was little. My dad wouldn't let me have it even then. And that's quite a while ago.

I worry about my daughter not being vaccinated against small pox. Eradicated or not, it exists in every biological warfare laboratory in the world. Scary stuff. :-/
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2001, 12:33 AM   #8
LiamFan!

Just moments ago, our local news reported a study just published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Here's the abstract:

Time Trends in Autism and in MMR
Immunization Coverage in California

Loring Dales, MD; Sandra Jo Hammer, RN, PHN; Natalie J.
Smith, MD, MPH

Context

Considerable concern has been generated in the lay and
medical communities by a theory that increased
measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) immunization among young children
may be the cause of an apparent marked increase in autism
occurrence.

Objective

To determine if a correlation exists in secular trends of
MMR immunization coverage among young children and autism
occurrence.

Design, Setting, and Participants

Retrospective analyses of MMR immunization coverage rates among children born in 1980-1994 who were enrolled in California kindergartens (survey samples of 600-1900
children each year) and whose school immunization records were reviewed to retrospectively determine the age at which they first received MMR immunization; and of autism caseloads among children born in these years who were diagnosed with autism and were enrolled in the California Department of Developmental Services regional service center system.

Main Outcome Measures

Measles-mumps-rubella immunization coverage rates as of ages 17 months and 24 months and numbers of Department of Developmental Services system enrollees diagnosed with autism, grouped by year of birth.

Results

Essentially no correlation was observed between the secular
trend of early childhood MMR immunization rates in California and the secular trend in numbers of children with autism enrolled in California's regional service center system. For the 1980-1994 birth cohorts, a marked, sustained increase in autism case numbers was noted, from 44 cases per 100 000 live births in the 1980 cohort to 208 cases per 100 000 live births in the 1994 cohort (a 373% relative increase), but changes in early childhood MMR immunization coverage over the same time period were much smaller and of shorter duration. Immunization coverage by the age of 24 months increased
from 72% to 82%, a relative increase of only 14%, over the same time period.

Conclusions

These data do not suggest an association between MMR immunization among young children and an increase in autism
occurrence.

JAMA. 2001;285:1183-1185
Old March 15th, 2001, 01:49 AM   #9
Wolfsong72

Both of my girls are up to date on their shots. Although there is only 27 months between them there have been changes in the vaccinations each has received. Cheyanne received two polio shots and one oral dose, which we were warned could infect others who had not been vaccinated. They both received a DTaP shot not the older DTP. The DTaP is supposedly safer than the previous ones. As for the MMR shot they both have gotten one but I don't think it protecst as long as doctors think it does. And heres my reasoning on that. When I was growing up we only got shots as babies and right before we started school. Now in Tennessee you have to have 2 MMRs as toddlers, one before starting school, one before the 5th grade, one before 8th grade, and one before senior year. Also when I got pregnant the first time my blood came back non-immune to rebula (I know I had the shot as a child) after giving birth they gave me another shot. Well when i got preggers again (they are 27 months apart mind you) my blood came back again non-immune. So Thats why I don't think they last long.
Also as far as parents who don't vaccinate their children did anybody see the episode of ER where the little boy had measles or mumps because he wasnt vaccinated. His mom didn't think it was important. Not only did they have to quarantine the boy and his family, they had to call the day care and quarantine them till shot records could be shown. At the end of the show the little boy died. I would rather inform my self of what to look for as far as reactions go and deal with a child hating me for letting them be poked with a needle then to lose a child to somthing that could have been prevented.
Wolfsong72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2001, 05:27 PM   #10
DrHilieWho

Thank you for posting that LiamFan! I know I'm a little late lol but thanks all the same.

It makes me nervous that there were enough coincidences to have studies done on it, but I'm not sure if any number of results would make me feel better. When it comes to my kids I always feel like any risk is too much, although I realize that diseases are worse than shots, there isn't a guarantee they will come across the disease and they only get the shot if I want them to. Ever feel like you aren't ready for the responsibilities of parenting? LOL
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM   #11
InspectorGhoul
My name is Inspector Ghoul and I'm running for precedent.

Keep hunting Napa!
InspectorGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote