Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old April 18th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #1
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

How do you help your teen girl to be aware and prepared for attack?

There have been two rapes in our little town in the past week. The suspects are 3 older teen guys who are preying on teen girls. They all three participate in the attack. I have a 14 year old daughter and while the attacks were a few miles from our house, I want her to be alert, as prepared as possible and over all and most of all safe while she is walking to and from school.

Any suggestions????????????????????

(((((((((((EVERYONE)))))))))))))))))
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Okay that is seriously scary. She doesn't walk alone does she? That'd be my number one rule.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

hi Cod... she and her brother walk to school together. We are a "choice school" which means we are a bit out of our "district" and are going to a different school by choice, so it's further than most of the kids walk, and they are the only ones in our neighborhood that go to that school.

We taught her how to use pepper spray last night, talked to her at length about sticking together with friends, or her brother, and if she was going to have to walk alone, to wait at the school with a teacher and call us and we'd come and get her.

I found out last night the first victim of these 3 guys was a 13 year old! and the second was 19! They think the guys may have been recent graduates at the highschool, and the cops are concentrating their efforts there, the middle school was not even given any flyers/notice/talks at all!! sheez...what do they think 13 year old is?!?!?! a junior in highschool???? nope!! she's a 7th GRADER!!!

Anyway...we had an impromptu little get together on our block last night with all the girls between 10 and 92. (seriously the 92 year old lives across the street from us and joined in!! )

We taught them how to use pepper spray, how to use their VOICES, and gave them tips on being aware. (all gotten from our blockwatch captain who got them from our community resource officer).

It was pretty cool to see everyone working together to try to keep our girls safe!

It irks me that the school didn't even say stick together in groups or anything though....
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Great idea PBS! Everyone needs to be on the lookout (even 92 year olds). Most people become TOO comfortable when in their own neighborhoods.

Hope they catch the attackers quickly! :/
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
IRISH_EYES_99

(((((((((((((( PBS))))))))))))))))),

How horrible for everyone. So glad the neighborhood is getting together like that. A learning experince to know how to be aware, to walk in groups, and to use pepper spray.

I can tell you using your voice works. Letting your daughter, and others know that they have the right to get angry, yell use their voice is one of the most important things to learn.

Using their voice can save their life.

Keep the neighborhood watch going, make sure the police are keeping you updated.

Learn some defensive moves, Be safe.

Hope they catch the perpetrators soon.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

((((((((((((((COD)))))))))))))))))))
(((((((((((((((NANA)))))))))))))))))

Thanks! They haven't released any more information since Monday...so I don't think they've caught anyone...but there haven't been any further attacks yet...so hopefully more than just our neighborhood got together to do a "training"...ya know?
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Omg!

Wow ((((PoohsBigSister and family and neighborhood)))))

I will say some prayers that the ones doing this evil deeds are caught.

So far you have prepped your daughter along with the other girls!
Including the 92 yr old

Another thing I would suggest is some self defense classes if you can find one and afford it. If not look to your local law enforcement for some resouces on that. Maybe a female officer can come to your Block for some hands on for the girls. Just a thought.

Also teach them how to use what resources are at hand. Like back packs or purses.

That is all I can suggest for now.
Wishing ya'll all the luck in catching these people.

Have a great day!
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #8
mosquito

I've come to this discussion a tad late....

I hope the lack of posts on this topic means there have been no more attacks.

I have heard it is better to yell "FIRE!" than "Rape!" or "Help!!" because people will not hesitate to help in case of fire, but might think twice about taking on an attacker. I've told my kids this. I hope they would remember it if anything happened to them.
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #9
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Mosquito,
I think you are correct. We just watched a video that was "set-up" so that a man was taking a child of about 8. The kid was screaming at the top of her lungs "He's Not MY DADDY!, HELP!" and no one...I mean NO ONE stopped and helped that child. I was astounded. The police dept. showed the clip at our local blockwatch meeting.

I have continued to drum it into my daughter's head that these three thugs haven't been caught yet, and they definately could strike again! We've continuted to preach staying in a group, walking in lit areas, not going out alone after dark at all, and the like.

I'm astounded that they haven't been able to catch them yet. sigh.