Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Life's Transitions

Old October 11th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #61
rjsfeminist

Unfortunately, I don't have a cell phone at all, so I can't help you with the Verizon cell phone plan. We do have Verizon for our local phone service and Working Assets for our long distance.

I had to talk to someone from Verizon for our local service a few weeks ago, and it really cracked me up. We're her in Florida, and the guy I talked to for our local service was in Seatle, Washington. Now, THAT got me laughing. At the end of the conversation, he tried getting me to change to Verizon for long distance, and I told him about Working Assets. (A coupon for a free pint of Ben And Jerry's ice cream every month for the first year--I'm badly addicted to their Cherry Garcia--along with the phone numbers for your State Senators and Congressman, as well as 1 or 2 free calls each month to the same, as well as a list of activities to help change the world, etc., etc. (The guy from Verizon kept going, "That is so cool! I should check it out!")

I know that doesn't help with the cell phone plan, brede...

We've had a rainy day today (an off-shoot of Matthew). At least it's not a hurricane.
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #62
brede
my new motorcycle

I'm just looking for other folks with verizon that can take advantage of the free calls deal. We got a family plan when I had several medical emergencies (2 involving ambulances) back in January. Pirate needs a cell phone and is really having a rough time of it right now, so we wanted him to be able to call us anytime of day with no restrictions.

We've been happy with Verizon. I call my friend in Canada all the time. And it was the only cell service that worked all through and after Ivan. Lots of people were borrowing our phones to check in with their loved ones. We went way over our minutes limit, but we didn't care one bit. All those firemen and EMTs had families that weathered the storm alone and Ivan was devastating to this area.
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #63
rjsfeminist

Well, fwiw, my husband and I finally got a cell phone a couple of months ago. It's through Working Assets (our long-distance provider) with a good plan (for our needs).
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #64
rjsfeminist

Just trying to kick-start the thread here...
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #65
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oh....okay....um.....cell phones......I mean....((((Cell Phones))))!

If we didn't HAVE to have dial up internet in the backwoods we call home 6 months out of the year, we'd drop our land line. We have 5 of us on our plan and my other son and his wife have the same company. So.....we can all call each other anytime and pay nothing. We are all spread out and so we call a LOT! It's a great invention, I tell you. ((((Sprint)))) because you actually work in the backwoods!

Let's see...something I do in mid-life that I didn't do in my twenties? LONG SHOWERS! (I'd say long soaks but I have no tub. I live in a cabin. I should have a claw foot tub, huh? Nope.) In my twenties, a long soak would mean hours of later repairing the house, trips to the ER with my three sons, or de-traumatizing the poor dog. Not worth it. I took a lot of sponge baths. Or none.

SO.....I make up for it now! I'm shiny!
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #66
brede
my new motorcycle

My mid-life crisis started at age 40 when I got my first tattoo. My second tattoo was done at age 45. For my 50th, I started riding my own motorcycle! My 25 year old son thinks that I have completely gone nuts. He's right, but I won't admit it to him. Now riding the motorcycle doesn't mean that I won't do another tattoo....I've already got the design drawn out. All I need now is a few extra dollars.

Which begs the question: what are "extra" dollars? And, if they do exist, who has them? LOL!
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #67
IRISH_EYES_99

(((((((( Cod )))))))) you are indeed shiny ... blindingly so.

ahhh, Love my long soaks, my time to read. Midlife crisis.. Eek!!!! Made it though alive. That counts for something.

Actually got my license the same year my middle child got her's. lol!! Now she still drives and I don't. Much to nervous to be a good driver.. Aware of that.

thoughly enjoying these years.. seem to take things more in stride. Most times. Maybe being retired has something to do with it. Yah think???!!!
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #68
nyjeri

Wink Midlife ?

Hello folks,I'm new here and thought I'd like to add my 2 cents for all its worth here on this topic.Midlife is the hardest part of my life.I simply feel that I don't fit in anywhere.My kids are adults and we know they don't have time ..not that im sure I'd want them to.I have a few disabilities(asthma,diabetes an such) so that sort of slows me down a bit. I don't know .. It just isn't a happy time of life for me .I accept that one ages .. thats not a problem and to be honest Im blessed as far as that goes but it seems to be a mighty lonely time of life.
nyjeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #69
rjsfeminist

Hi, NY. I'm sure you'll enjoy the boards here.
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:46 AM   #70
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Talking Hi Hello and How do you do

Hi (((((NYjeri))))
So glad to see you on the message boards. Yes Life is hard during midlife and other areas. Yet here is my suggestion. Have you ever wanted to do something before you had children? Or afterwards yet couldnt because of the children? Like going to college? Or exploring places like parks and etc? Just a few ideas there. Now would be my suggestion to get out and do that sort of things. Now I see you have medical limitations yet there has to be something that you can do...check it out! Hope to see you post more on the message boards! Great to have a new friend! Plus dont forget to check out the chats. Lots of fun there.!!! LOL
Have a great day!
Old August 21st, 2006, 04:04 AM   #71
nyjeri

Smile Thankzzzzz ladies

Wow I just got back here to see your comments, thank you for sharing hope and a bit of peace of mind. Yes to answer a question posed to me I have thought of doing some of the things I wanted to do earlier in life and just may conquer them yet. Again .. thankzzz.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM   #72
rjsfeminist

It's never too late to go back and do some of the things you've wanted to do, jeri. I'm in my early 50s and have just started back to school. Never too late.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM   #73
nyjeri

Wink

You are absolutely correct. ty
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #74
LiamFan!

I'm about to explore school options for a Master's....nice to see it's not too late.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #75
rjsfeminist

Hey, Liam. What'll you go for your Masters in?