Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Politics

Old May 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1
NewsPoster
WOW News Poster

Editorial: Obama, Clinton Should Debate in Oregon

Read the full article here and share your thoughts!
NewsPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #2
陈云峰

Smile Say no to the 2008 Beijing Olympics!

Obama is a smart gay?
He will twiddle Hu Jintao swoon?

Last edited by Sysop; July 9th, 2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Removed spam-ish petition link
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #3
rosannehow

From wht I've seen sofar on the Olympics I don't know that China will be ready. Did any of you see the green goop filling the waters where the races are to be. They have people walking in it scooping it up with their hands and they say it will be ready in time? There are teams already there trying to practice. I wouldn't want to bet on that one. Before this they had an earthquake. How much damage did that cauwse? What impact will that have on the Olympic events?
rosannehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #4
kraftykid

ohhhhhhhh Bush has done it again and the time is sooooo sneaky. I have come to the conclusion that the President has more power than he should have. His office has just announced that the Dept. of Interior will be in charge of what is endangered and if their roads, dams, etc., will actually impact them. We can kiss some endangered animals good bye. Hey maybe a good thing, if they say it is ok to log again, we lose the spotted owl, but the mills will start up again. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Forgot to say this change will be implemenated just prior to the presidential election so it can not be overturned for MONTHS!!!!
I already lost most of my chickens to the bald eagles because they couldn't find enough natural food. Oh.... I do get on my high horse!

Hope you all have a good day LOLOL
kraftykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #5
IRISH_EYES_99

Did expect differently from a person who PARDONED HIMSELF. Pretty pathetic. IMESHO!!

Wonder how the historians will look at all this???
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Melynn
Queen Goddess

Historians will look at this at the worst presidency in history, unless they're all rounded up, waterboarded, and detained without benefit of counsel.

Nancy Pelosi must be urged to begin impeachment proceedings against, at the very least, Cheney, if not Bush. I realize there is a lot of behind-the-scenes garbage that we don't know about, but I am extremely disappointed in her thus far.

The following is the Dept. of the Interior story in all its glory. It makes Bush look clean as a whistle but don't be fooled. The Secretary of the Interior, Dirk Kempthorne, was nominated by Bush, and confirmed in the U.S. Senate in 2006.

US Interior Dept Proposes Changes To Endangered Species Rules

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- The U.S. Department of the Interior Monday proposed changing rules that protect endangered plants and animals in a move to ward off attempts to use the Endangered Species Act to regulate climate change.

The new rules mean individual agencies won't consider climate change when issuing permits for greenhouse gas-emitting transportation, energy or other projects that may threaten an endangered species. The agencies also won't need to have such projects reviewed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, as was previously required.

Environmentalists decried the DOI's action as a gutting of the landmark act.

The move comes three months after the Bush administration declared the polar bear a threatened species, acknowledging the loss of sea ice caused by global warming jeopardized the animal's future. Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne said at the time that it wasn't possible to draw a direct causal link between the adverse effects on a threatened species from a particular project or government action.

"As a result, it is inappropriate to consult on a remote agency action involving the contribution of emissions to global warming because it is not possible to link the emissions to impacts on specific listed species such as polar bears," the DOI said Monday in a press release.

Environmental groups said the changes take the decision on whether a project would affect an endanger species out of the hands of scientists. The result is federal transportation officials deciding on whether endangered species will be affected by a transportation project, said Josh Dorner, a spokesman for the Sierra Club.

"This is the most egregious and sweeping assault in a string of attacks on the Endangered Species Act by this administration," the Sierra Club said in a press release. "If these regulations had been in play for the past few decades, we would not have brought the bald eagle back from the brink of extinction."

The DOI said the rule changes were designed to speed up and reduce the number of consultations required under the Endangered Species Act.

"The existing regulations create unnecessary conflicts and delays," Kempthorne said. "We are not being good stewards of our resources when we pursue consultation in situations where the potential effects to a species are either unlikely, incapable of being meaningfully evaluated, wholly beneficial, or pose only a remote risk of causing jeopardy to the species or its habitat."

-By Mark Peters, Dow Jones Newswires; (201) 938-4604; mark.peters@dowjones.com
Melynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
kraftykid

Just had a thought. They have wanted to drain the everglades for years. If they do, the American Alligator will go extinct :-(
kraftykid is offline   Reply With Quote