Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Politics

Old September 30th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #1
NewsPoster
WOW News Poster

Grassroots Fundraising: Ahmie in Cleveland

Ahmie, 32, is a stay-at-home mom and part-time professional photographer in Cleveland, Ohio, where her husband is a high school teacher.
“Our whole family is for Obama,” she says. “We’ve taken our boys – 4-years-old and 14-months-old – to a couple of rallies. Every time the 4-year-old sees Obama on TV he cheers.”
Ahmie has always been fairly politically involved.
But my boys are the reason I’m so passionate about seeing change come to this country this time. I did some GOTV in 2004, but not as much because I had an infant at the time. This year I’m not making any excuses.
Ahmie’s doing some volunteering, and was excited to start a personal fundraising page as it gave her a way to contribute while staying home with her kids. She sent emails to her friends and family to get them involved, and has been thrilled by the response she got.

"I got a lot of donations by posting on the blog and asking people to donate towards my page," she explained. "And then I emailed everyone I knew and asked them to donate $20.20 in honor of Barack’s 20/20 vision for the country. I told them – if you can’t give $20, then give $5. Just give what you can – it all makes a difference."
So far, Ahmie has raised $740 from 34 donors and can’t wait to raise more. “I’ve never donated to a political campaign before,” she says. “But this time is important.”
We've only got a few weeks to go before the election. Join Ahmie and our grassroots network of donors across the country by starting your own grassroots fundraising page today.

More...
NewsPoster is offline   Reply With Quote