Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Lesbians Online

Old January 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #1
pinkandpoms

My generation of Lesbians and how people are so cool with it anyone agree.

Hi I am new to the site and I am 18 years old. Firstly I am as girly as they come and no guys that I meet believe that I am a lesbian. Quite egotistical i think but anyway I am from England and all my friends are so great with me being a lesbian. Not just my friends either my generation are just like whatever they just dont care. Its not an issue. I on the other hand cant tell my parents until I am old enough to look after myself, as they may disown me!!!! I just wanted to no who has experienced what, is it different in varying generations. Also one thing im always raving about, did America get the programme tipping the velvet it is an adaption of a novel by sarah waters. The programme was a revelation for lesbians here and I loved it. The book is the best but the girls are really great in it. Everyone has to see it or read it, really its fab. Anyway love u nd leave u bye bye
vikksxxxx
pinkandpoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #2
MintyFemme2

pinkandpoms welcome to WOW. You are right there does seem to more of an acceptance towards Gays and Lesbians in general. I don't truely know what it is like to be rejected because of who I am by my family. I haven't seen or read Tipping The Velvet .
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #3
PlunkyUnicycle

i sort of agree. i'm 16, a lesbian in south africa (and you can call me plunky) and here's my 'story' : i have this friend (bridgette) and we're both very affectionate with each other, so (naturally i guess) rumours started at school that we were lesbian and going out (which we were not - bridgette is straight, a feminist, but straight). only one person (a friend of mine - meghan) at school knows that i'm lesbian, but since the rumours (which everyone seems to believe) me and bridgette have been experiencing homophobia. mild, non violent. but still - hurtfull remarks etc. but on the other had, i go on winter machaneh (that's hebrew for camp, and yes i am jewish) and summer machaneh (which together make the most increadible weeks in my year), and there i'm totally accepted. i'm completely out there(because i can be - it's a safe distance from my parents, who don't know), and i always have the most amazing and fulfilling time. in parts of the country though (as i am sure is true with all countries) there are those who believe that we're only the way we are because we haven't met a 'real' man. you can get raped for being lesbian. so it's best not to show (although i must agree most, if not all, people who think this way aren't in our generation). but those parts are of coarse countered by others which are completely accepting.
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #4
LiamFan!

Nice to meet you, Plunky. I think you get the prize for most creative nickname!
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #5
mosquito

I have a copy of Tipping the Velvet. I've read it 3 times. It's an awesome book! Nan's discovery of herself, the plot twists, the setting and dialogue were all very well-crafted. I could feel the emotions she was experiencing. I especially enjoyed the vernacular. I wish there was a sequel! I did see it when it was on TV here and like most Stephen King movies it was almost verbatim, although they did skip a couple of parts (due to the length, I'm sure).
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6
MintyFemme2

((((((((((((((((LIAM))))))))) Hey lady How be ya? I agree Plunky is a very unique nick. Mosquitto I will have to find that book.
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7
mosquito

Minty, I bought it at Amazon.com. The author is Sarah Waters. It has great reviews there too
Also check out Karin Kallmaker's books, if you haven't read any of hers, it'll be a treat. My favorite so far is Touchwood. Somehow I'm drawn to characters that overcome great odds... I guess I'm always rooting for the underdog
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #8
MintyFemme2

There is nothing wrong with rooting for the underdawg.. I do that myself.. unless when comes to my 49ers.. underdawg or not they have my loyalty LOL. I will def look into amazon.com.. my partner uses amazon.com sometimes for movies. Off I go to play with a new program. I have been threatening for months to buy a cd label maker.. finaly done it today. Napa makes cd's constantly and when we want to listen to them in the truck we gotta go through a hundred different nameless cd's till we find the right one. Thank you again Mosquitto.
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #9
brede
my new motorcycle

Hi Plunky! Nice to meet you!

I'm a bit older than you are and lived through the United States racial changes and (some still ongoing) prejudices. And I lived in the South. I've never understood that at all. I am also mentally ill with chronic, major depression and I think that your generation is much more accepting than my generation is about it. My parents had a very difficult time with my diagnosis, so I just kept sending them information on the biochemical aspects of depression. Now they understand and are trying to educate others.

I do think your generation will turn the tide about sexuality. I am constantly surprised at how many people don't want gays or lesbians to have their legal right to marriage. Even our president is a giant air head on this issue.

Minty- be careful with the labeler. Use as little glue (if you have that option) as possible and try to make sure they are perfectly centered. If they aren't centered the weight ratio is thrown off and it can mess up your player. Pirate uses a permanent marker to lable them. Me, well, I'm old school. I believe that songs on an "album" are put in a certain order for a reason. I just buy the CD when I find something I like at a very good price. Just a quirk in my personality. LOL!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM   #10
MintyFemme2

brede the labels are self sticking.. I ain't gonna be getting the project sdone for a while though. Napa's printer is retarded and my printer needs ink cartridges. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #11
sailor chiron

Brede- you have a mental illness! Me too!!
So I feel I have a dual diagnosis: lesbian with schizo-affective disorder.

Anyway, about generational acceptance: I'm 26 and I only spend my time with liberal people, so I'm not sure how exactly my generation is doing. I live in the San Diego area, and don't know very many conservative people.
I hate our president to no end. DEMOCRAT IN 2008! Yeah, I know the Democrats aren't perfect, but they never mentioned that constituitional amendment!
sailor chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #12
fusena

am 23yrs now and a les for a year now.i like to keep it cos i do feel it well.