Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Family Issues

Old October 4th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
minikahood1710
Online schools

I have family problems!!!

Every family has family problems but, there are certain measures you can take for recovery. Whenever you have a group of people who spend hours with each other there are going to be problems. Personalities clash and power struggles ensue as parents and children learn how to cope with each other.

The trick to the whole family structure is learning how to identify problems and then deal with those problems before they get out of hand. Take a moment to think about your family. What you will see is a tapestry made of people of different ages, different personalities, different likes and dislikes. This is your family.

A family's diversity must be acknowledged. Like it or not a thing called the generation gap will keep your family from operating totally on the same page. However, here are a few ideas to help your family cope with, and survive family problems.

Stopping the problem before it erupts is one of the best ways to deal with family problems. Family meetings can accomplish this goal. Family meetings provide a safe environment for each member to share their views on various issues. These meetings should be information sessions, not personal attacks or gripe sessions.

If you think members of the family may not open up, you can try having each member write down their thoughts and then share them by passing them around. Writing takes away verbal inflections which can cause a conversation to escalate into an argument. Remember, the whole idea of family meetings is to communicate no matter if the communication is audible or written.

If you feel a group setting would not be constructive, you can try having a one-on-one session with the person or persons you feel are at the root cause of your family problems. The main idea to remember is to keep talking, and try to work through your problems. The moment communication ends, the real problems begin.

Also go into each talk session with the attitude that you attributed to the problem just as much as the other person. This will help you take responsibility rather than blaming other people. As we all know, it takes at least two people to cause a problem and at least two people to resolve the problem.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #2
minikahood1710
Online schools

I have family problems!!!

Every family has family problems but, there are certain measures you can take for recovery. Whenever you have a group of people who spend hours with each other there are going to be problems. Personalities clash and power struggles ensue as parents and children learn how to cope with each other.

The trick to the whole family structure is learning how to identify problems and then deal with those problems before they get out of hand. Take a moment to think about your family. What you will see is a tapestry made of people of different ages,
online schools, different personalities, different likes and dislikes. This is your family.

A family's diversity must be acknowledged. Like it or not a thing called the generation gap will keep your family from operating totally on the same page. However, here are a few ideas to help your family cope with, and survive family problems.

Stopping the problem before it erupts is one of the best ways to deal with family problems. Family meetings can accomplish this goal. Family meetings provide a safe environment for each member to share their views on various issues. These meetings should be information sessions, not personal attacks or gripe sessions.

If you think members of the family may not open up, you can try having each member write down their thoughts and then share them by passing them around. Writing takes away verbal inflections which can cause a conversation to escalate into an argument. Remember, the whole idea of family meetings is to communicate no matter if the communication is audible or written.

If you feel a group setting would not be constructive, you can try having a one-on-one session with the person or persons you feel are at the root cause of your family problems. The main idea to remember is to keep talking, and try to work through your problems. The moment communication ends, the real problems begin.

Also go into each talk session with the attitude that you attributed to the problem just as much as the other person. This will help you take responsibility rather than blaming other people. As we all know, it takes at least two people to cause a problem and at least two people to resolve the problem.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Well for the most part I agree with you. However I will stress that the other members of the family has to be willing to talk and listen. For without either there is nothing. I can talk til I am blue in the face, since they no longer wish to listen. Thus I dont talk and then when they are in need, they find out why I wont help. Tis a hard lesson for them to learn but yet tis their choice. Not mine. Thus I give them enough rope to hang themselves. Tis their choice. I dont like to nag or complain. Just state it and move on. Yet if the other family members dont want to listen or talk, then tis a waste of my breath and thoughts. Hence they are learning the hard way for some have to do so. Needless to say I may move forward and slowly but I am doing so.
Have a great day!
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #4
james001

Yeah every family is pretty much dysfunctional at some point in life or all the time. It reminds me of my family but you just get on with things and not to look back. Suicide is pointless.Forget religion most likely it will be even worse there could be nothing when you die your body will just decompose into the ground so its best to just live out your life cause it could be a lot worse.
james001 is offline   Reply With Quote