Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Politics

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Jennifer23
Jennifer23

Immigation

I think a lot of people don't understand why we have such high unemployment now. It's easy to blame Mexicans crossing our border and taking jobs, but the single biggest reason for our current situation is NAFTA.
When we entered into NAFTA, so many of our manufacturing jobs went elsewhere, especially China. Just look at the stuff you buy now and see "Made in China". Although it was economically a good thing for the big corporations, it eliminated so many jobs that Americans used to do.
That is such a bigger deal than Juan doing landscaping.
Jennifer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
cassandra

This problem is worldwide. One of the biggest problems is when companies go public .Their focus changes from providing service and jobs to providing profit to stockholders any way they can and that often means moving production to a cheaper location, less tax cheaper wage bills less health insurence ect..

The Stockholders are happy but what it leaves is a gap that affects many more than just the employees..
Less or no wages mean you dont go to the hair salon as often, dont buy a new car, dont book that holiday ect its the ripple effect like throwing a stone into a lake.
A country should provide the companies with motivation to stay or punitive measures when they go abroad in order to safeguard jobs and economic stabilty. ie if they are not poviding the jobs at home then their product import tax will be raised to help pay the unemployment bills they have created.
cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Jennifer23
Jennifer23

Cassandra, I agree. Right on!
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Jennifer23
Jennifer23

And, to throw my Spanish in here, it's all about avaricia de corporativo (corporate greed).
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #5
moniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
This problem is worldwide. One of the biggest problems is when companies go public .Their focus changes from providing service and jobs to providing profit to stockholders any way they can and that often means moving production to a cheaper location, less tax cheaper wage bills less health insurence ect.
This is very true. I believe I was learning about something like this while watching Food Inc., which shows the practices of "Big Farming" and how even deadly things like E.Coli aren't checked for because the only people a company is legally responsible to are the shareholders, not the consumers.

I sent President Obama my suggestion on the whole outsourcing thing. Some say that companies who agree to hire in-country should be given tax breaks, but in the carrot-and-stick option, I am going to go with the stick here because you shouldn't be rewarded for doing things you already should be doing.

So what's the plan? If you're an American company and your headquarters is in, say, Minnesota, then you must pay out-of-country employees as if they are Minnesotans. That means all the incentive (cheap labor) goes away...and if a company decides to still hire outside the country, the workers are now given full medical care and better pay. It's a win-win.
moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Elusive Unicorn

moniker that is a pretty cool view point. I totaly agree with you.
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Jennifer23
Jennifer23

Sounds good to me, too. Just about everyone that I talk to agrees with me about Latinos being hard workers, so a win/win situation is pretty good!
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Elusive Unicorn

We have so many immigrants here in the USA. Is that so surprising? This country is made of immigrants. We may not call ourselfs that now but the only true natives here are the American Indians. We have people that have immigrated for every country and all walks of life. From a rich man to a poor bagger. Funny thing is people always think the grass is greener on the otherside. Maybe they just use better ferterlizer. After all our world leaders pile enough of it up. They did not take our jobs. Gesh illegal immigrants only work the jobs most of us do not want to do. So people need to quit their bi***ing or start doing those jobs.
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Jennifer23
Jennifer23

Uni, I couldn't have said it any better. Good job!
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Elusive Unicorn

Ty /me looks at soapbox guess I can get on it and do a good job if I say whats on my mind.