Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Pets

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Lady of the House

Is it wrong to deny a child a pet?

I am not a big animal fan... I refuse to own a dog for the smell alone. I don't mind cats, but there is the issue with shedding and possible allergies. Not to mention the heartache involved when a pet dies My kids have been asking for pets, but I keep saying no. I feel really bad. I have offered fish, they seem ok with that, but I still feel like I am denying them of this right of childhood or something.
Lady of the House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Yes its understandable what you feel. How old are your children? I did what my children wanted. Yes extra work for myself. Yet the many times of play and love shared making the smiles was worth it. It teaches them responsibilities as well. To think of another first instead of themselves. Those memories cant be replaced. Yet each person who decides to get pets, do your research. Decide on the animal. Some animals are social and some arent. Then you need to think of the costs. Yet in the end the choices I made were worth it. I hope this helps.
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #3
sistergirl

I am guessing you did not grow up with a pet? I don't know why I am guessing (ha), but that is the impression I got. There is no love like a four legged pet and a child and is worth all that may go with it. But only if you can afford one because they do require care the same as humans. Maybe one day when you are by yourself you can visit a shelter (please don't do the pet store thing) and just look around and ask questions about the care involved. Hope this helps.
sistergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Sassysam

I think a guinea pig is the perfect pet for a child. They learn tenderness, respect for living things and responsibility.

I would never deny my child a pet - but the age needs to be right, about 6 years old I would say.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #5
valentine

When I was littel we never could have pets because my brother is super allergic to most animal furs, and I didn't wanan have a urtle or a budgie or something... From my position now I honestly must say I don't have the time becaue we are all out of the house from 7.30am to 7.30pm at least. It wouldn't be fair to have a dog/cat/guinea pig/rabbit who would be alone the whole day. My son does understand that. I must admit though I'm kind of glad though because I wouldn't exactly deny my child a pet but I don't really care for animals living in city apartments. So I don't think I would buy my kid a pet if he asked for one.
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote