Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Mental Health

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #16
brede
my new motorcycle

Savannah,

Atman and PBS have given you some top-notch advice. Anxiety can also be caused by neurochemicals, however there are so many good behavioral and/or therapy options that medication should almost be used as a last resort. The journaling idea is great. Figure out exactly what you are afraid of (for example, when you are walking - if it is being trigged by your boyfriend's death 20 years ago, write down all the physical sensations, how he died, what you were thinking when your chest tightened, and what about all this do you believe is true. Also remember that 20 years ago your life was vastly different than it is now. Especially how you think about aging and dying. I know that I have very different responses to death than I used to have 20 years ago. As we age, different things become important.

And I, along with a bunch of other stuff, have lived with chronic major depression and generalized anxiety for 32 of the 48 years of my life. I have considerably less problem with anxiety today and when it rears it's ugly little head, I write it all down. So, there is a lot of hope with anxiety.

I'll be here for you if you need me, and don't hesitate to email me if you want to.
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #17
Savannah
Student of the Earth

thank all, i feel better knowing that i am not alone thats for sure.
the journalling sounds like a great idea, i will do that.
i am the last one to take meds, as i am a registered nurse and have seen too much of the side effects to consider giving it a go. i only get it sporadically, but then quite severe over days.
i don't believe the death of my boyfriend was the trigger, it was just that i became AWARE of the anxiety ( chest tightening), looking back i have always been terrified of meeting new people in a group, been on lots of camps as a kid, always the same :S
i noticed that certain foods trigger it off and others alleviate it... that would tie in with the chemicals, right?
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #18
gsf

(((everyone)))I'm sorry I don't know whether what I'm saying could help you or not.When I was a child,I was worried about my future.I couldn't think that I would be able to communicate with people well.Now I can't speak very much in the place where there are several people.I'm usually hearing what they are talking about.But I make my effort to be good friends with those whom I have gotten to know forever.Even though I don't get close to someone,I believe I will be able to do by doing so some day.
(((sunflower))),my heart is always with you.
gsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #19
brede
my new motorcycle

Foods? Well, I know chocolate calms me down and there are other calming foods and those are all about brain chemistry. I never thought about food causing anxiety. I do know that too much caffiene makes me jumpy and limit myself to 2 cups of coffee a day with no other caffiene from any other source. You may be on to something!
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #20
Cinderellen

Hot Dogs and anything with a lot of msg will trigger anxiety for me. Of course caffiene does too. Why can't celery, carrots, and lettuce do that instead?
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #21
Savannah
Student of the Earth

some foods cause me to get palpitations or chest pain for instance almond chocolate.
there are a few other things that do similar things and take my breath away so to speak and i get anxiety .... who knows, hard to understand.
LOL Cinderellen.... i am with you there
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #22
Martin

Thanks a lot for keep great sharing..........
I will be try to looking forward to the other posts...
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote