Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old February 19th, 2001, 12:25 PM   #1
Lou
Idealist

Books and more books! Let's hear what you have read, what's on your nightstand now, what you found boring, what you found wonderful.
Old February 19th, 2001, 12:28 PM   #2
Lou
Idealist

Me first.

I just finished Tim O'Brien's novel "In the Lake of the Woods," part mystery, part thriller, part psychological study of a Vietnam veteran, politician, and his marriage. I liked it very much, but get ready to be frightened.
Old February 19th, 2001, 01:18 PM   #3
LiamFan!

Hi Lou! Nice topic. :-)

I just read the first two books of Dennis Cooper's five-book series. The first, Closer, was very good, albeit odd and unsettling. (When I told someone I know who is a friend of Cooper's that I was reading these books, he said I should be prepared because Cooper's writing is "gnarly." I have to say, maybe I should have heeded his warning)

The second book, Frisk, gave me that feeling I've only had twice before..."I DO NOT WANT THIS BOOK IN MY HOUSE!"

<g>

Anyway, after reading an interview with Cooper, I'll probably give the next one a try...OMG...the book is called "Try"

The last two are "Guide" and "Period."

These books are not only not for everyone...they are probably for very few. But for readers who appreciate simply wonderful writing skill, it might be an interesting exercise. ;-) The guy's style is unusual, very engaging and immediate.

Seriously, though, I can think of very few people who would enjoy these books.
Old February 20th, 2001, 10:15 PM   #4
Addie

I have a Robert Morgan obsession. Yes, it's true, I found and started with Gap Creek because it was an Oprah book, but since then, I have ordered every book he ever wrote and now, sob..sob.. I finished the last one!

He transports me, his description is so lush, so rich. His dialects are amazing. I know the characters, I care about the characters, I can hear them speaking. My life has been hectic and crazy lately, and I think that might contribute to my current obsession. He writes about another time, he takes me to another time, and, for a few hours I'm there.

I hope he writes another one soon, although I have to admit I enjoyed some of his earlier works more than Gap Creek. I hope he doesn't lose anything along the way.
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2001, 06:07 PM   #5
mags

Thumbs up Amy and Isabelle

I just read this great book. "Amy and Isabelle" by Elizabeth Strout. It a story about a mother and her daughter and their relationship with each other. A wonderful feeling when you put the book down!
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2001, 03:31 PM   #6
Addie

I read that not long ago mags! I enjoyed it very much. I hear it's going to be a movie. Uh-oh. That might not be a good thing at all. :-/ Well, we'll just have to wait and see!

Old February 26th, 2001, 05:20 PM   #7
Feline3940

I just finished "House of Sand and Fog"
I never wanted to morph into a book so bad. It was too real. Oprah has some good choices sometimes.

I am now into my 4th reading of "Mists of Avalon"
For those of you who don't know this. TNT is doing a 6 hour miniseries on this book in the fall. I cannot wait.
Angelica Huston is Viviane..<G>
Whats her name Margulies from ER is Morgaine..<G>

Feline3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2001, 05:48 PM   #8
Terri

I am a history reader. I just finished reading The Autobiography of Henry VIII A Novel by Margaret George and am now reading The Virgin Queen, Elizabeth I, Genius of the Golden Age by Christopher Hibbert. The former book, although a novel is historically correct and is written in the style of a diary by the King himself with notes by his fool Will Somers. I found it interesting and the language was captivating. The latter is a bit dryer and filled with more facts but I find that entertaining. The real reason I bought the book at Borders is because it has some wonderful full color pages of reproductions of the Queen at various stages in her life and of the people who surrounded her at court. There are a few drawings of some of her castles and homes away from home and it was only $16.00.
Old February 27th, 2001, 06:52 AM   #9
Stophie

Smile Someone say BOOKS?

What have I read lately? Lessee....Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six": I had a hard time putting this one down waiting to see how everything connected; then afterwards wondering about the plausibility of what I had read.
Joyce Carol Oates "We Were The Mulvaneys" (go Oprah) I loved how the story was unfolded through memories with hindsight interjections leaving you with just enuff to get the emotion without divulging the intricate details that made this an intriguing albeit disturbing tale of the Mulvaney family.
Currently I am snuggling up with John Grisham's "The Runaway Jury"...just when I think I am ready to go to Law School, I read this and am thinking "I wanna do THIS??" lol
Stophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2001, 01:20 PM   #10
QuietWoman

Oh my, Feline, one of my all time favourite actresses as Morgaine *sigh* - I wish I could catch that!

And Terri those books both sound really interesting,

LOL @ The Runaway Jury, Stophie - I teach at Law School and there's none of that malarky allowed!

I've read - let's see - something called "The Swiss Chalet Girls Grow Up" recently. That was a funny one! The Girls at the Swiss Chalet School was one of those interminable series of bording school stories from the 1950's and 60's. This woman (whose name has escaped me) has written a book about what might have happened to the main characters, after school. Since the lead girls were triplets (!) and they were part of a family of about 11 kids - the new author had taken on quite a challenge!

QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2001, 01:43 PM   #11
Terri

I think I may have posted on this on the old boards but I want to recommend White Oleander by Janet Fitch (I think) to all. It is the most poetic, sad story but very well written. Oh if I could write like her. I recently read Message In A Bottle, a Nicholas Sparks typically sappy tale but I used a box of tissues in the end anyway. I know most of you are through these books as they are several years old. I get books from my sisters and friends and toss them in a drawer till I can get to them. I have books that I seriously read (like my historical books) and books I read just for fast easy reading (like Message In A Bottle).
Old February 27th, 2001, 04:41 PM   #12
kathe nichols

fantasy

I'm re-reading Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, with the intent of eventually making it to the one(s) I haven't read. These are good even on second and third exposure, which isn't true of as much fantasy as I'd like.

Now if I could just get people to quit <i>interrupting</i> me!
kathe nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2001, 01:28 AM   #13
Feline3940

Terri...
OMG, OMG, OMG... I used a whole box of tissues in the end of that book. I didn't like the movie that much, but did like the book. Read the subsequent Nicholas Sparks book and you will do the same again. He loves to play with your heart strings....

Stophie...
It was the Runaway Jury that made it so easy for me to quit smoking. Every time I had the urge for one, I remember the book. I quit within two weeks of finishing it. It is a great book.

Quiet...
No problemo. I guarantee you , I will be taping that mini-series and I will burn a copy and send to you. :-D
Feline3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2001, 09:54 AM   #14
Terri

Red face

Feline, I read A Walk To Remember one afternoon in about 2 hours while floating in the pool and bawled, but I have not read The Notebook yet. It's in my drawer, the one with all the books "to be read." In that drawer is also Angela's Ashes, some true crime novel which by the cover looks distasteful and some Norah Roberts book that I would have to be desperate to read. There are others too, like "The Legend of Bagger Vance" has anyone actually read that? Anyway I just can't think about that right now because I'm at the part in my book about Elizabeth I where the now 53 year old Queen falls in love with the 20 year old stepson (Second Earl of Essex, Robert Devereux) of her now dead, life long friend (and some say lover) Robert Dudley, which means sadly that my story is almost to an end. Gotta get back to my book bye.
Old February 28th, 2001, 10:12 AM   #15
Addie

Terri, I thought White Oleander was amazing. You're right, the story was terribly sad, but the writing! Amazing, just beautiful! It was a joy to read such a beautifully written book.