Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old January 24th, 2003, 01:39 AM   #151
Terri

Any Elmore Leonard fans out there?
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #152
anniejoan

Poisonwood Bible

I finally got around to reading: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

I initially found it difficult to get into but kept on with it and I'm glad I did! What an amazing story!

I like the alternating chapters in which each character tells the story from their own perspectives. It is a multilayered story which can be viewed from a number of angles: the familial relationships, the political history, the geographical perspective, the religious perspective and the cultural environment.

One of my favorite lines is when Rachel, the eldest daughter states, " The riverbank, though it looks attractive from a distance, is not so lovely once you get there: slick, smelly mudbanks framed by a tangle of bushes with gaudy orange flowers so large that if you tried to put one behind your ear like Dorothy Lamour you'd look like you were wearing a Melmac soup bowl." I howled with laughter when I came across that!

One of the charming aspects to this book is that when each character tells her side of the story, it is her voice we hear. For example, Amy is the youngest daughter at 5 years old. She is relating something she overheard being discussed. It was circumcision. Her interpretation? "circus mission" I roared at that one too!

Those funny bits scattered throughout the book were very much needed because much of it was heavy duty.

I found I cared very much for the mother and daughters and kept reading and hoping they'd get out of there.

Reading it also reminded me of why it is I really have no affinity for "bible thumpers" [I put that as nicely as I could. ]

It also reminded me of how terribly ignorant I am about world politics and history. Does it mean I'll do research about Africa/Congo/Zaire? Not likely...but it was humbling nevertheless.

If anyone else has read this book, what did you think about the choice the mother made the night the ants invaded?
Old July 14th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #153
Cinderellen

I have a question I was hoping the "book readers" could help me with. I heard an illustration once, I think by Stephen Covey, about filling up a jar with golf balls, pebbles, and then sand. It was about priorities. I recently got one in an email but it had beer added to the jar after the sand. I don't recall the original illustration having beer in it. Have any of you heard the original? Sorry about posting it here, I just didn't know where else to put it.
Old July 14th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #154
Cinderellen

Yeah, that's the one I was emailed. I think however the original one was by Stephen Covey, and didn't include beer. The whole reason I asked was that I wanted to show this to my son, but was uncomfortable with the ending. I didn't think that I wanted to forward him (he's 13) something that said there was always time for a couple of beers, lol.

Thanks (((((Liam)))))
Old July 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #155
DLC55
You owe me for this!

You're right Cinderellen, It's part of the course "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" minus the beer<g>

It's a great course.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #156
Cinderellen

Cool, DLC, thanks. I guess I'll see if I can find the book somewhere.
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #157
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I only have the workbook. But I found the original story.

One day an expert in time management was speaking to a group of business students and, to drive home a point, used an illustration those students will never forget. As he stood in front of the group of high powered overachievers he said, "Okay, time for a quiz."

Then he pulled out a one-gallon, wide mouth mason jar and set it on the Table in front of him. Then he produced about a dozen fist-sized rocks and carefully placed them, one at a time, into the jar. When the jar was filled to the top and no more rocks would fit inside, he asked, "Is this jar full?" Everyone in the class said, "Yes." Then he said, "Really?"

He reached under the table and pulled out a bucket of gravel. Then he dumped some gravel in and shook the jar causing pieces of gravel to work themselves down into the space between the big rocks. Then he asked the group once more, "Is the jar full?" By this time the class was on to him. "Probably not," one of them answered. "Good!" he replied.

He reached under the table and brought out a bucket of sand. He started dumping the sand in the jar and it went into all of the spaces left between the rocks and the gravel. Once more he asked the question, "Is this jar full?" "No!" the class shouted. Once again he said, "Good."

Then he grabbed a pitcher of water and began to pour it in until the jar was filled to the brim. Then he looked at the class and asked, "What is the point of this illustration?" One eager student raised his hand and said, "The point is, no matter how full your schedule is, if you try really hard you can always fit some more things in it!" "No," the speaker replied, "that's not the point. The truth this illustration teaches us is: If you don't put the big rocks in first, you'll never get them in at all." What are the 'big rocks' in your life? Time with your loved ones? Your faith, your education, your dreams? A worthy cause? Teaching or mentoring others? Remember to put these BIG ROCKS in first or you'll never get them in at all.

If you sweat the little stuff (the gravel, the sand) then you'll fill your life with little things you worry about that don't really matter, and you'll never have the real quality time you need to spend on the big, important stuff (the big rocks).
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #158
LiamFan!

That's nice of you to copy that here, DLC. I'm going to delete the post above with the wrong story. Glad you were able to find it!
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #159
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Nooooooooo, I kinda like the one you posted, lol....
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #160
DLC55
You owe me for this!

There's so many variations of that story but I think they all have the same end meaning.
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #161
DLC55
You owe me for this!

/me thwaps Liam
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #162
Tammy

I have two copies of the book. I needed 14 habits of two highly effective people to straighten out my life <g>
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #163
Cinderellen

Thanks so much (((((((DLC)))))

I like both versions, the one that Liam posted is cuter, but as I stated above, I wanted one that didn't include beer.

As a sidelight, my son has a copy of "7 Habits of Highly Successful Teenagers" that he really liked. Just in case anyone is interested.
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:09 AM   #164
sunflower

Thx DLC55

Well I only see the one version here now but it sounds like a good read.

I hear you Tammy

I either have a quart jar or a five gallon

Thx Cinderellen

My daughter might like that book. I know I sure would like her to read it
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:20 AM   #165
gsf

I woudl like you to tell the correct title of Tolstoi's work that maybe means "Walk through the light as far as it exists" or "Walk through the light until the time it disappears".?????.I like it.Would anyone know it?
gsf is offline   Reply With Quote