Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old April 20th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #196
NewEnglandBookLover

EMBRACING THE MYSTERY: The Sacred Unfolding in Ordinary People and Everyday Lives

I've recently read and highly recommend the book "Embracing the Mystery: the Sacred Unfolding in Ordinary People and Everyday lives" by Meredith Jordan. Here is my own "review" of this title:

What would change in your daily life and personal relationships if the Biblical verse "the Kingdom of Heaven is within" truly took hold of your life and spirit in a tangible way? "Embracing the Mystery: The Sacred Unfolding in Ordinary People and Everyday Lives" takes the reader on a spiritual journey toward a deeper, more dimensional perspective on the creative power or Mystery many call God.

Author Meredith Jordan, a Maine psychotherapist and spiritual director, has integrated her more than 30 years of professional experience with profoundly personal insights she has gleaned from her own and others’ spiritual journeys. In a collection of heartbreakingly honest and touching essays, she shares with us stories of her own life as well as true stories of other ordinary people who experience the extraordinary as they seek to find harmony with the Mystery.

This compelling, transforming book challenges the idea of God as a being outside of us and encourages the reader to consider the true nature of God. Is God only of the good of this world, or rather all that swirls about us and in us in our daily lives? What if we could see God's face in every life encounter? In life's darker times, in sickness and divorce and loss, as well as during the joyful ones? Embracing the Mystery will leave its reader changed, moved above the very human doubts and seemingly unanswerable questions and conflicts that pervade our common lot.

An intimate, life-changing message is offered to the spiritual seeker. The reader is encouraged to remain open to what the people and events of our own lives bring us, regardless of whether we perceive them as good or bad. Through this openness, one can come to understand how important every individual life is in the expanding of human and God-consciousness; that we all count or matter as much to the Mystery as the Mystery matters to us. Embracing the Mystery will appeal to readers of all faiths and religious traditions. Its inter-faith message of hope and comfort comes not a moment too soon, opening new spiritual vistas and possibilities just when our world needs them most.

I can't say enough good things about this book. After hearing the author in a radio interview and subsequently buying the book off Amazon, I'm now recommending it to family and friends (and you!).

I'm enjoying reading all of your own recommendations and plan on reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" next...
NewEnglandBookLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #197
LiamFan!

Ah...Five People You Meet in Heaven...one of my son's favorite books!
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #198
NewEnglandBookLover

I never seem to get to any book the second it hits the shelves... but I've heard so many good things about this one. Did you read it? By the way... does LiamFan mean you're a fan of Liam Neeson or somebody else? Either way he's a great actor...
NewEnglandBookLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:45 PM   #199
LiamFan!

I haven't read it yet, but I saw the movie if that counts!

And Neeson is a good actor, but the Liam my nick refers to is Liam Gallagher, the lead singer of the British band, Oasis.
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:22 PM   #200
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oh THAT one!
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM   #201
IRISH_EYES_99

Hitting the library on my walk tomorrow Sounds very interesting COD.

Liam, see I learned something new about your nic today. Should learn something new each day.
Someone also suggested "The Blue Day Book" which is on my list to pick up.

Will get back to you on it.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM   #202
jkearns4949

Does Oasis still have the orignal members? Do both brothers still tour together?
jkearns4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:24 PM   #203
rjsfeminist

I've read The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Good book.

I'm currently reading Calling Home, edited by Janet Zandy. It's an anthology of working-class women's writings. Fantastic book. I had taken it out of the local library so many times, that when I got a gift-card from Powell's Bookstore, I sent for a box of books--including Calling Home.

Another book from that batch of books is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. Absolutely love it.
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #204
LiamFan!

Quote:
Originally posted by jkearns4949
Does Oasis still have the orignal members? Do both brothers still tour together?
Hi jkearns...yep, Noel and Liam are both still in the band. The other guys aren't from the original band, though. They've sold out huge venues for their upcoming American tour this summer...pleasantly surprising.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:16 PM   #205
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oh man, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. One of my all time favorites. I read it a few times when I was younger. There is another good book by that same author. Can't think of the name of it now.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:35 PM   #206
LiamFan!

A Brick Throws in Poughkeepsie?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:59 PM   #207
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

hmmmm......that doesn't sound exactly right.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:15 AM   #208
Addie

ROFL!

<I>Joy in the Morning</I>

Not quite as good as <I>A Tree Grows in Brooklyn</I>, but I loved it just the same. I read them both over and over again.

Betty Smith is the author. In the past few years they started printing <I>Joy in the Morning</I> again. I bought it, again.<g>
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM   #209
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Bingo! That's it and you are right, it was good but....it was no Brooklyn Tree! Betty Smith....ah right.....I knew it was a strange name like that.

I just read a memior that I liked. It's a sad, sweet book called Name All the Animals and once again I forget the author.....wait.....Allison Something? I could do a search but I like to leave something for you guys to do. I've recently been reading a lot of Joyce Carol Oates small novels. You can read one in a day and they are usually bizarre enough to make you want to read the whole thing in one sitting.
Old April 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #210
rjsfeminist

I started reading Joy In The Morning, but didn't get too far with it, since my life was hectic at the time. But while what I read was good (and I'll probably borrow a copy at the library), it didn't strike me as quite as good as A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

My idea of a great afternoon is vegging out on the couch on a rainy afternoon with a cup of tea, something yummy to eat, a good book to read...and nothing else expected of me. (The 2nd best afternoon would be a decent movie there...)
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote