Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old November 15th, 2001, 09:43 AM   #91
LiamFan!

YES! My Frank is nicer, though. <g>
Old November 17th, 2001, 12:01 AM   #92
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Well of course! YOUR Frank is a fine fellow!
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2001, 12:11 PM   #93
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Okay, Lou and Quietwoman...I'm still reading Girl/Pearl and have a question.

How did you pronounce the name of the maid "Tanneke"? While I'm asking, also how about the child "Aleydis"?

Just curious, and growing weary of murmuring through these names when they come up. <g>

Old November 18th, 2001, 03:38 AM   #94
LiamFan!

OMG {{{Cod}}}

If I can't pronounce a name, I trip over it every time, too. I read a book once where the names were all consonants...like XJFDZ. Made me NUTS.
Old November 18th, 2001, 11:48 AM   #95
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Well, I couldn't help ya with XJFDZ. Sorry.

(((LiamFan)))

Cod - still stumbling

<g>
Old November 18th, 2001, 12:28 PM   #96
Lou
Idealist

Hi Cod! I have no idea how those names are really pronounced, but in my head as I read them, I pronounced them like this:

ta-NEE-kee

a-LEE-dis

And everytime I came across Aleydis, I would think of Els as a child calling her sister "Aleeda Snot," which was what she heard during Mass when we said, "And lead us not . . . " ROFL

On Tuesday, my book club will discuss this novel, so perhaps someone will have a more accurate pronunciation.

Oh, and Frank is pronounced frank.
Old November 18th, 2001, 06:46 PM   #97
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Okay, Lou, until Tuesday I shall use NEE and LEE everytime then. LOL to Aleeda Snot!

Frank...Frank....Frank....got it.
Old November 19th, 2001, 10:53 AM   #98
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I finished it! Girl With A Pearl Earring is beautifully written. I'm hoping that Tracy Chevalier is presently working on her next book. :-)

Lou, unlike you who put off ending the book, ;-) I couldn't get the pages apart quick enough to see what choice Griet made (I knew which one though) and where the next 10 years took her.

Thank you so much for recommending this to me. Now I'm about to open The Girls' Guide To Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank. I just picked it from the shelf. For some reason it strikes me as sort of a Bridget Jones' Diary kind of story. We'll see. ;-)

Old November 19th, 2001, 11:49 PM   #99
Lou
Idealist

Quote:
Originally posted by Cod

Lou, unlike you who put off ending the book, ;-) I couldn't get the pages apart quick enough to see what choice Griet made (I knew which one though) and where the next 10 years took her.
That's interesting, Cod. I saw Griet as a woman with no options who is abused horribly by Vermeer. That scene of stabbing holes in her ear is chilling, and the threat of further, worse abuse by Vermeer's patron is just as bad because no one protects her. If she makes a choice at all, it is to have sex with Pieter in the alley so that should she be raped, she can at least know that the father of the child she will surely have is Pieter. To leave the Vermeer household and marry is an option that women like Tanneke do not have, and that Griet has only because she is pretty and clever. Fortunately, Pieter is a kind, attentive man, and the children they have hold the promise of a better future. But any future, keep in mind, is at the mercy of unforeseen catastrophe--like the blinding of Griet's father. Anything could happen to destroy the future for the working/serving classes of that century.

Voila.
Old November 20th, 2001, 08:42 PM   #100
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I didn't think of that being her possible purpose for the sex in the alley, Lou. I don't have the book here, and I can't remember the exact scene that preceded her running to Pieter. I believe I thought when I read that though, that she was confused, guilty about her feelings and thoughts, and overwhelmed by the men at Vermeer's and gave herself to someone she felt she'd be safe with. She knew she was lucky to have Pieter. He could be her protector. Everyone would approve.

I knew which path she'd choose. I liked Pieter. The dreamer in me wanted her to run off and become a famous painter and live happily ever after though. Oh wait...that's Cod's dream!

Old December 31st, 2001, 04:50 PM   #101
Lou
Idealist

My book club is reading Michael Chabon's pulitzer prize winning novel "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay." I made this choice, and I've been holding my breath during the holidays waiting for the January meeting when they all groan that it was "too hard." LOL

This is the story of two Jewish boys/young men, one who escapes Prague pre-WWII and lands in the Brooklyn household of the other. They are cousins, and share a talent for drawing that leads them into the comic book business during what it is the Golden Age of Comics in America.

Now, I knew this before I chose the novel, and I thought I would not be particularly interested in the subject. But I was wrong. This is a wonderful saga, wonderful. It is blessed with the tragedy of Josef Kavalier, the boy from Prague, who lives with the guilt of having escaped, and enlivened with the struggle of Sam Clay, the Brooklyn boy who denies his homosexuality in order to accomplish the greater good. I have learned why comics are so violent, and how it is that the times finally affect literature.

And to no small degree, the novel's success lies with Chabon's prose. Wow.
Old December 31st, 2001, 10:28 PM   #102
LiamFan!

Sounds like a good one, Lou.

I'm reading "The Night Listener" by Armistead Maupin. I started my New Year's resolution early, and am almost finished with the book.
Old January 1st, 2002, 07:55 PM   #103
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I got a couple of Bill Bryson books, A Walk in the Woods, and another on Austrailia, for Christmas, but right now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, because I feel I should. <g> I also received Traveling America in an RV, which will make a few of my friends here ...

LAUGH OUT LOUD!
Old January 1st, 2002, 08:17 PM   #104
Lou
Idealist

Laugh? I'm -ing for you! <G>

I enjoyed Walk in the Woods very much!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 12:23 AM   #105
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oh good (((Lou))). I'm looking forward to starting it.

(the book..not the winnie )