Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old February 17th, 2001, 02:26 PM   #1
DrHilieWho

I am interested in what books your kids like the best. What titles, and what age groups, have worked well for you?
Old February 17th, 2001, 02:35 PM   #2
DrHilieWho

Right now our son is 2 1/2 and really likes the beginners series for Arthur. He also likes anything that has to do with Blue's Clues.

Our daughter is 8 months old, and loves for anything to be read to her. She especially likes "Where to Bears Sleep?" This is most likely due to the fact that her brother makes the noises for all of the animals while we are reading.

One really great company is Harper Growing Tree. http://www.harperkids.com Don't pay too much attention to their age levels though. Our daughter loves the books meant for her brother's age a lot more than some of the books for her own.
Old February 17th, 2001, 10:26 PM   #3
ScribeWOW
Board Manager

Ducky by Eve Bunting

One of my 7-year-old's favorite books currently is Ducky by Eve Bunting. Even though he usually reads much more serious stuff, this is the book we snuggle up with and read together most often.

Here's a review that appeared in Booklist, on amazon.com's website:

<i>A yellow plastic duck narrates the story of his adventures on the ocean after a ship's
crate loaded with bathtub toys is washed overboard. Along with some of the other toys, the
duck is swallowed by a shark, then spit out even though he and his companions are
"guaranteed nontoxic." Gradually, the toys are separated by wind and wave, and the duck
journeys alone for months. Eventually, he is picked up by a schoolboy and logged in by
scientists. An author's note explains the real-life incident that gave rise to the story as well as
the science connection. Wisniewski, last year's Caldecott Medal winner, uses cut paper to
capture all the crash and motion of the ocean, and his effects are so vivid that children will need
to touch the pages to make sure they are actually smooth. The bold illustrations and exciting
action make the book a great story hour pick. Susan Dove Lempke </i>
Old February 18th, 2001, 07:20 AM   #4
QuietWoman

Oh, that sounds adorable, Liam - I'll look out for that for my lil niece sometime :-)
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 02:24 AM   #5
Boone_Chic
New, wanna chat?

Hello, I am new here! How are you?

Well my daughter is about 2 1/2 and well she doesn't just have one favorite book. We read a lot of books. She is in a book club and get new ones all the time. A really cute one that I think fits that age group is:"No David"
It is about a little boy who gets into everything and the mother is always telling him NO! It fits that age group very well, they tend to be told no a lot.

Boone_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:25 PM   #6
DrHilieWho

We just got Ducks from the library! The illustrations are what really interest my kids. Our oldest still hates to sit down and read anything so I just summarized the story, but he and Strata really loved it.

Another favorite has been Cowboy Baby. I think having a baby around the same age in the house makes it especially silly for the kids.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:52 PM   #7
Cinderellen

Ok, I have to pipe in and say that my kids 2 favorite books when they were toddlers were "Good Night Moon" and "Pat the Bunny". Until about a year ago, I could recite Goodnight Moon from memory we read it so much.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:37 PM   #8
huee

my daughter is 7 yrs old & we're starting to get into chapter books - little house on the prairie, charlette's web, heidi, etc. but her favorites forever have been any books about real life animals - we have tons about wolves, zebras, lions, penguins, reptiles - she can tell you all kinds of facts about almost any wildlife creature & identify most of them by sight, even the more exotic ones.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:07 PM   #9
LiamFan!

Very cool, huee...the kind of knowledge that stays with you, knowledge of things you're truly interested in.