Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:19 PM   #16
Terri

Time for a new topic here! By the way Lou, I love what you wrote.
Old May 28th, 2002, 08:29 PM   #17
LiamFan!

<font size=4>the best kind of candy and why</font>
Old May 31st, 2002, 08:25 PM   #18
crayon

There were big stone lions flanking either side of the steps to the YWCA; we used to climb up on them and sit there until someone would tell us to get down before we hurt ourselves. Not a whole lot to do when you're ten years old on a Saturday except hang out at the Y. We'd swim, then make little ash trays in the arts and crafts room with those tiny glass tiles you stick into the cement, pretty unimaginative, now that I think of it. I enjoyed sitting on the lions out front a lot more, watching people walk by.
<br>After we were chased down from our perches, we'd go into the five and dime and spend all of our coins on candy. If only our parents knew how much candy we consumed on Saturdays, they'd never let us out of the house. My friend, I forget her name now, liked the hard core stuff...giant sweet tarts, and those two foot long, plastic tubes full of colored sugar...sour and caustic, you could feel the enamel leaving your teeth.
<br>I can't remember what I liked best, sometimes I'd get chocolate bars, the crunchy kind that tasted like it had rice crispies in it. Other times I'd buy a few cherry Charms pops, and some Double Bubble gum with any leftover pennies.
crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 09:29 PM   #19
Lou
Idealist

For three days, I've thought about this topic, thought about the miniature Reese's peanutbutter cups I sneak out of the big bag that my colleague keeps for her students, treats on exam days. I've thought about late afternoons at work when I have to be there until 7 p.m. and the vending machine where I plug in 60? for one of those peanut covered logs that stays me for a while. I've thought about being a child on the bus to Santa Ana with my mother and the bag of bridge mix she'd buy at the J.C. Penney's candy counter, picking out the good ones while we rode the bus home. I've thought about the way a pineapple Life-Saver lasts a looooong time on my tongue. I've remembered a little girl in my daughter's Girl Scout troop, whose turn it was to provide snacks for the troop meeting, but her mother wasn't into GS, so the treat was a box of brown sugar that the little girl took from the pantry. I've thought about a friend in elementary school who taught me to eat dry Jell-O by sticking my tongue into the little bag, how good and surprising that was. I've thought about the robust chocolate bars in Spain, the bittersweet chocolate chunks in France, the milky dollops of chocolate in England. If I could have any candy I wanted RIGHT NOW, I would choose a frozen banana dipped into melted dark chocolate, then rolled in chopped nuts, all kinds of nuts--almonds, walnuts, cashews. Oh, and I do favor candied violets. :-)
Old June 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM   #20
Christyrose

There was time in all of our lives, the biggest treat for most, was picking out penny candy! How we loved to just stand there, looking, taking our time. Eyes wide open, mouth watering. Time never mattered to us, we needed to find the longest lasting piece of candy, for a penny! The ladies that worked at our corner store, made sure to tell us they did not have all day, and to hurry they had others to wait on.

Our hands and faces placed on the glass of the counter, bringing us closer to the candy that laid inside. Just to be yelled at by the ladies behind the counter, get your hands and faces off the glass. We have enough to do all day, without cleaning up after you! That is your mother's job, not ours. We looked at each other, mom was mentioned! How long have we been standing there? Now, we will be in trouble with mom for being late.

Our need for the penny candy was greater then the fear of the voices from the ladies behind the counter, or the fear of mom. You see, we had a solution worked out for mom. We where allow to spend ten cents for candy out of the change left. A nickel each. We decided to spend four cents each and two cents for mom! We told the ladies what we wanted, the joy in their faces showing, we soon would be leaving. They placed our penny candies in little brown bags, handing each one their own. Giving us back our two cents in change, a penny each. Their eyes now rolling. Arms being thrown up in the air, when we told them, WAIT! We have two cents left. We want to find mom some penny candy too! Hour later, we where headed home.

When we talked about the memories of the penny candy counter, a smile comes to our mom's face, her eyes twinkle. Yet she says nothing, as we are talking. We looked at each other, only to realize it was not the just the candy we brought home for her. No wonder the ladies at the store where always yelling at us. We figured it out by being parents ourselves. It was the time spent at the store, mom had time to herself.

This was more then forty years ago. No longer are the ladies of the store with us nor is the penny candy.
Christyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2002, 09:44 PM   #21
Terri

The Secret Room

I lugged and dragged and pulled on the large, flat cardboard pastry boxes. The A&P piled them up for the bakery to pick up early in the mornings when they made their deliveries to the gorcery. They would never miss a few of these valuable building materials, or so I thought when I was ten years old. On the wide front porch of my parents home I labored intensively for hours. Placing each box just so, using masking tape for nails I fashioned a wonderful house with a secret room. I found three year old baby sister Laura and took her into the house with me. We played tea party, and sang songs (Autumn Leaves was our favorite) and told secrets. We hid from the rest of our family in the cardboard sanctuary with a secret hidden room. When our mother came to find us we sat quietly in the secret room and tried not giggle when she bent her rotund figure and poked her head of wild chestnut hair into our refuge but didn't see us in that secret place. With the dollar I had earned from collecting fifty glass soda bottles, I purchased ten packs of Rollo candy from the drug store at ten cents each. I squirrelled them away in my secret room and Laura and I ate every last one of those chocolate Rollo's in two days. We got sick from them. Deathly ill as I remember. Today Rollo's are my favorite candy, not because of the way they taste, but because of the memories they made.
Old July 14th, 2002, 12:03 PM   #22
Lou
Idealist

i know, i know, i already did this, but . . .

Christyrose and Terri--great job!

<u>Secret Candy</u>

Afternoons when she is at work, I stand in her room and feel how the air moves slow and hot through her open window. My mother says that she is fat, that I need to do something--scold her, force her onto a diet. But now, in this heat and jumble of her belongings, I slide open a desk drawer and see the crumpled wrappers of Snickers bars, empty bags of Kisses, their wadded silver foil like a sprinkle of stars. And I think that what I need to do is something I can't do, that I cannot love this daughter more than I already do. That it's not my love she craves as she hungers for sweetness and cream. Sadness is chocolate, the chocolately smear on her pillowcase, dead fathers, unkindnesses, the daily shunning and loneliness. I slide the drawer closed.
Old July 14th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #23
anniejoan

(((((( Lou )))))) I just got goosebumps reading that! Well done!

Your grandchild is such a cutie patootie! I smile every time I see that picture.
Old July 16th, 2002, 01:30 AM   #24
Lou
Idealist

Thanks (((anniejoan)))
Old July 16th, 2002, 07:57 AM   #25
anniejoan

((((( Lou )))))) You're welcome.
Old July 30th, 2002, 01:23 AM   #26
Christyrose

Lou, thank you. Your short story gave me the goose bumps. I really enjoyed it.
Old July 30th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #27
Terri

(((((((((Lou))))))))
Old July 30th, 2002, 01:59 PM   #28
Christyrose

Exclamation

I am feeling very brave today. How about a new subject?
Old October 28th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #29
Lou
Idealist

ScribeWOW is very busy right now, so I will propose a new topic:

GOBLINS

Old October 29th, 2002, 01:37 PM   #30
Christyrose

Thanks Lou, great subject line! hahahahaa