Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old January 10th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #16
LiamFan!

I've given her a try, and I hate her writing.
Old January 11th, 2002, 03:19 AM   #17
CamiRae
Former CherubTF/WOW

{^{^{^{^{^GrandmaLou^)^)^)^)^) what a cutie he is.

{^{^{^{^{^tupi^)^)^)^)^) you may be right. I was living in a depressed state for months and maybe I needed trashy novels to hide in and dream. LOL Hey hubby and I may be coming to St. Petersburg sometime this year to see my Grandparents so hubby can meet them. It may not be till fall but will let you know.

{^{^{^{^{^Liam^)^)^)^)^) I swore I'd never read Danielle Steele but hey I inherited tons of her novels from my Dad's 5th fiancee' soon to be wife #4. Ugg!!! At least I like this one and I'll kill him if he ditches her. lol
Old January 12th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #18
tupi

I go through phases of enjoying different kinds of books and writing styles. I've read so many different writers that I couldn't begin to say what one I liked the best. I have never enjoyed reading Amy Tan, but I've listened to her books read by good readers and enjoyed them. I get in moods, too. Sometimes I just want to escape into someone else's life. It's really voyeuristic.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2002, 11:49 AM   #19
kathe nichols

Finished Pendragon. I liked it a lot, if not the top of my (long) list of Arthuriana.

Found that somehow this quarter's Sage Woman magazine just didn't do anything for me, now reading Ben Bova's The Winds of Altair. It's a classic, for a reason. Been long enough since I read it that I remember almost nothing about it, so my enjoyment is even more.
Old January 16th, 2002, 11:46 AM   #20
Lou
Idealist

Yesterday, I began reading Arundhati Roy's novel <u>God of Small Things</u>, and last night I had to force myself to turn out the light. It is brilliant.
Old January 20th, 2002, 10:27 AM   #21
anniejoan

((((((( everyone ))))))))

One of my goals for 2002 is to get back to reading. It's now Jan 20th...and I've not yet picked up a book.

So, today I will begin with the first book in the Harry Potter series.I read it ages ago, and want to reread it before I see the movie. For anyone who is a fan, J.K. Rowling will be profiled on Biography on A&E at 8pm EST Monday, Jan 21st.

I have one of those daily inspirational calendars about Believing in Yourself, and one of the quotes for the day was this:
"The greatest gift is a passion for
reading. It is cheap, it consoles,
it distracts, it excites, it gives
you knowledge of the world
and experience of a wide kind.
It is a moral illumination."
-Elizabeth Hardwick-

So true.
/me waves bye for now...off to grab a coffee and read.
Old January 21st, 2002, 08:15 AM   #22
anniejoan

Wooooohoooooo! On page 54 of the first book of Harry Potter and loving it! Finally I made the time to read a book!
Yayayaya!
Old January 21st, 2002, 11:23 AM   #23
tupi

That's one on my reading list this year, too, anniejoan. In the meantime, I'm reading <u>Stalker</u> by Faye Kellerman. I rather like her books, though I like her husband's better.
Old January 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM   #24
anniejoan

((((((( tupi ))))))) If you like fantasy novels, I think you'll really enjoy the Harry Potter series. Did you ever read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Ring books by Tolkien? Same kind of thing. I have read Tolkien many times...it was almost a cult read back in the 70's. It is on my to read list as well.

Are Faye Kellerman books Horror or msyteries? And, what is her husband's name and what books of his did you enjoy?

I will be reading more of Potter tonight! Woooohooo! It's a matter of making the time to do it...and I am!
Old January 22nd, 2002, 08:34 AM   #25
tupi

I generally don't read much fantasy, but Potter looks like fun. I read Tolkein, as did all of my sons. It was wonderful fun.

Faye Kellerman writes police procedural mysteries, as does her husband. They both have main characters that go from book to book. Faye's is Peter Decker who converted traditional Judaism, which adds an interesting twist to the character. Jonathon's is Alex Delaware who is a child psychologist who has a gay police detective friend and they solve some very eerie crimes together. Both writer's have books written off character as well, and are generally good.

I like criminal mysteries.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 09:01 AM   #26
Cinderellen

I LOVE the Harry Potter Series, I have read them all twice. They aren't a hard read, but they are very diverting. Currently I am trying to push through the Lord of the Rings. I thought I should given that the movie is doing so well. I read The Hobbit a long time ago, and frankly I just don't care for Tolkein, but onward I go!!
Old January 22nd, 2002, 09:08 AM   #27
LiamFan!

The way I see it, life is too short to wallow through books I don't like.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 11:53 AM   #28
kathe nichols

Not to mention that the Lord of the Rings books and the movie are *nearly* unrelated. As a lover of the books, I was not thrilled with the movie. It could have been worse, but I think they lost a lot of the universal/mythic and made it into another action adventure.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 12:08 PM   #29
Cinderellen

Liam, I agree with you. But I try to make it a habit to read what my children are reading. Makes for better conversation, and I can monitor content. Also, I think that forcing an occasional book that really isn't to my taste, exposes me to things I otherwise might not know. My grandmother is fond of saying that you can find a nugget of gold in just about everything, if you look.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 08:41 AM   #30
anniejoan

Hi everyone! I finished Harry Potter's The Philosopher's Stone last night and am beginning The Chamber of Secrets tonight! Yayaya! It's been ages since I read a book...and am loving it!

(((tupi))) I'll give those books a try.

(((((( Cinder )))))) I'm a Tolkien fan from way back.It seems people either love those books or they hate them. I've known some who have really tried to get into them but they just couldn't.

Hi Kathe: I haven't seen The Lord of the Rings movie yet but one thing everyone who has seen it is saying is that it is very long! I think it would be hard to capture that story in the movie...it is so detailed in the books with so many characters and places. I'm going to see the movie anyway.

Happy reading everyone!
anniejoan