Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old February 11th, 2002, 07:19 PM   #46
anniejoan

Hi everyone.
TheWonder, I haven't read any Anne Rice yet but those I know who have, really enjoy her writing.

I'm a bit stalled on getting through Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Not that it isn't good.....it's just that lately I have neglected to make the time to continue the read. <sigh>
Old February 20th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #47
Lou
Idealist

Hi Book Lovers!

My New York reading stalled me on starting Maupin, and today my book club chose "The Professor and the Madman," Simon Winchester's story of the making of the Oxford English Dictionary. So, I will be into this book shortly.

Hope you are all happily reading.
Old February 21st, 2002, 11:54 AM   #48
LiamFan!

Hi {{{Lou}}}!

I'm reading Ender's Game right now, by Orson Scott Card.
Old April 25th, 2002, 01:26 AM   #49
Lou
Idealist

I've been forgetting to post in here.

"The Professor and the Madman" was a truly wonderful read about an amazing circumstance.

I quickly read an novel titled "Charms for the Easy Life" because my book club chose it. It was an easy read about three Southern women, sort of episodic, and it did not really go anywhere. I can't say I liked it especially because it glorified historical lives that were far more interesting in reality.

I've been reading (in the way teachers read) a collection of poems and short stories that I will use for a class in the fall, called "The Writer's Country." It is a classic collection, and as I read, I mark passages and consider assignments I might create from the selections.

The book club met today but did not come to a conclusion about their summer selection. Typically, we choose a long novel for summer, since we have more time to read, and since the group could not decide today, that means they may want me to choose. :-/

Most of my reading attention for the past few weeks has been taken up by magazine articles and essays. I subscribe to "Harper's," which is an excellent source of good writing. I read a piece recently about the lack of anthropological evidence for the events that take place in the Old Testament. That fascinated me.

So what are you all reading?
Old April 25th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #50
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 12:03 PM   #51
kathe nichols

I got over-ambitious at the library again. I can never seem to remember that they only give you 2 weeks, here.

Just finished a new Mercedes Lackey, The Black Swan. Loosely based on the story of the ballet Swan Lake. Good enough for fluff, but not quite up to her usual.

Now reading The Seagull by Chekhov, since Shakespeare Santa Cruz will be performing it this summer. So far, it's tough going - hoping it's a combination of this particular translation and the general difficulty of reading plays. I own all the Shakespeare plays, so I can read the ones for this summer later.

Picked up what is supposed to be a good modern verse translation of the Iliad. I really would like to read a modern one and one of the incredibly dense 17th century ones side-by-side. I would like even more to learn to read it in the original. I almost got a tape from the library of it being read in ancient Greek, just to hear it (but CD only in my car.. <sigh>).

I was looking for the newest by Sherri Tepper, didn't find it, but found 2 more by her I hadn't read.

And there's a Scientific American lying around somewhere that I probably won't get to until next month's issue arrives!
Old April 25th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #52
mosquito

kathe, I've always thought it would be fascinating and far more accurate to read the old classics in their original languages -- <u>The Oddysey</u>, <u>The Divine Comedy</u>, <u>Faust</u>, etc. -- but the only one I can manage is <u>The Canterbury Tales</u>, lol! I don't have the time or the patience to learn a new (~old?~) language. There is far too much to read in English : )
<BR>
Right now I'm reading <u>The Constitutional History of England</u>, an 1832 edition 3-volume work by George Hallam which requires intense concentration due to the vernacular and the roundabout ways he takes to get to the point. I've gotten as far as 963 AD in Malmesbury's <u>English Chronicle</u>, (1883 ed., which my dog CHEWED the corner off last week!) King Edgar's reign, but that keeps stalling too as my kids drag me outside for warm-weather activities : ) I love British history, can you tell? lol
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #53
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

wow, kathe and mosquito, I'm impressed. Wish I hadn't even mentioned Skipping Christmas.

(at least it wasn't MAD Magazine I was currently into)
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #54
Lou
Idealist

mosquito--don't forget Churchill's "History of the English-speaking People."

Old April 26th, 2002, 12:17 PM   #55
mosquito

Cod, don't be <i>too</i> impressed, I have to read things over & over before I can retain it, lol!

Lou, you're right, I completely forgot about that. And it's not on my "Books to get" list : ( I hopped over to Amazon and it's all out of print, they inform me, but I know a good used book store : ) Thanks for the reminder! That should set me up for ...oh, the next couple of years or so. lol!
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #56
Lou
Idealist

For the book club's summer selection, I ended up choosing John McGahern's "By the Lake." He is an Irish writer, and I just happened to catch a small review that raved about the writing. I figure that since I have the whole summer to read this novel, I can put it off. So, last night I finally began Armistead Maupin's "Maybe the Moon," and I like it. It is written in first person by a narrator who is female and only 31 inches tall. Her claim to fame is that played Mr. Wolf, an elf in a film by the same name. LOL
Old May 8th, 2002, 03:39 PM   #57
Addie

I stayed up way too late last night reading <I>When I Was Puerto Rican</I> by Esmeralda Santiago.

The book is actually about 10 years old but I just happened upon it recently. (er.. on my bookshelf<g>) It's a beautifully written memoir of growing up in Puerto Rico during the 1950 and 60s. It's an easy read but so descriptive that I could see, smell, taste, touch, etc. Very touching, very enjoyable. :-)
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 04:23 PM   #58
QuietWoman

Well the Prof and the Madman (naturally given a different name over here, just to make things tricksy!) is now in my shopping basket at Amazon - Thanks Lou!

Best thing I've read lately? Rough Music, by Patrick Gale. It's a story of a boy growing up gay. But with a fair few other things going on too. Splendidly written, a compelling read.

QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 05:25 PM   #59
Lou
Idealist

LOL ((((Quietude)))) And if you go looking for "By the Lake," you will find it under the title "That They May Face the Rising Sun." Those Brits.

((((Addie))))
Old May 14th, 2002, 01:32 AM   #60
Lou
Idealist

I finished Maupin's "Maybe the Moon," so last night, I began "A Multitude of Sins" by Richard Ford. Ford is an excellent writer, in my estimation, and has short stories that are some of my all-time favorites. I bought this book in March when I was at a writers' conference where I heard him speak. I have heard him before, and sometimes, I am sorry when I listen to him speak because his tendency to arrogance messes up the voice I hear in his writing. Anyway, his novel "Independence Day" won the Pulitzer and the PEN/Faulkner--quite a feat. But last night when I opened "Multitude of Sins," I found that it was not a novel but a story collection, and many of the stories I'd already read when they appeared in magazines. Rats. Anyway--this is my point: Ford, a married man, is known for him womanizing, and this book is jokingly referred to as "A Multitude of Peccadilloes." LOLOLOL