Some excellent articles on early puberty:

http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/amn...0/hll20828.htm

http://www.methodisthealth.com/news/child/october2001/

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...recocious.html

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welco...s_puberty.html
Old October 11th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #17
DLC55
You owe me for this!

The early 1900's saw menses onset years to be between 15-16. Since then the age span has lowered. One of the reasons stated is better nutrition. Go figure. Anywho.... later studies have shown that girls as young as 9 can and do start menstruating at an earlier age. Even 8 isn't too young, (even though it may seem so to those of us who started later in life.) because soon after a young girls 8th birthday is when she actually starts puberty.

Hilie, only her doc can reassure her. But if she's already started, and she's not having any trouble, I'm not sure I'd worry if I was the mother. Especially with all the information out there she can share with her daughter. And as long as her daughter understands whats going on, and the mother keeps communication open, I would think she'd do fine. Other than wondering "why me" lol.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #18
susieB28

great sites Liam - very informative. In the last article they spoke of Bone Density Testing - that was one of the things we had done. It was a very simple Xray of the wrist which can show the "age" of the child's bones.

Also, they do mention that a child can start puberty at 8 - and that that is not abnormal - but it also states that the start of puberty is not usually menstruation, that usually comes about 2 yrs after the start of puberty. Which would on average mean that a child who starts menstruating at age 8 probably started puberty at age 6 or so.

They do also state, in some of those articles, that the possible need for intervention is a real one, as there can be problems due to early puberty.
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #19
DLC55
You owe me for this!

They also state that the treatment is often abused. What they don't say is why. Which makes you wonder if it's not a lot of parents not ready for their little girls to grow up within their bodies normal biological time period. Which is sad.

And since not every child developes the same, we can't predict when they actually start puberty. So a child starting her period at 8 could have started puberty anywhere from 6 months to 2 years earlier. That doesn't necessarily mean she's in trouble.
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #20
LiamFan!

You know, still? I find it kind of discomforting to think of an 8 year old menstruating. Yikes.
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #21
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I guess that's life.
Old October 12th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #22
susieB28

For us it was so much more the reprocussions of what early puberty could mean later in life, than just a matter of not being ready.....
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #23
MintyFemme2

I am reading what ya'll posted and the very thoght of Sallvie staring puberty early scares me LOL. I had my very first period when I was about 8 years old and it kinda scared me LOL. I hid my panties because I was afraid I had done something wrong. My best advice to any parent is to talk to their children about their bodies no matter how young they are. I talk to Sallvie and answer any questions he has honestly. The most he has asked is when Momma Kitty will be laying another egg and having baby kittens LOL. I have tried to tell him that the kittens are in Momma Kitty's belly just like humans carry their babies.
I do think we all will go into puberty when our bodies say it is time and I am not to sure if stopping nature just so a child has a better chance of being taller is right. But then again being 4 ft 9 1/2 in isn't easy in a world that is designed for people over 5 ft LOL. Even the safety equitment in cars are designed for a 5 Ft 5 160 lb male.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #24
sunflower

Hi everyone

Well I have the 160 lbs LOL!! Now I need the 3 extra inchs in height

I have two daughters one has started to Menstruate at 12 and is already my height. The other one is 8 and is wearing a bra.

I wouldn't even think to give my kids a pill to stop anything.

Every case is certainly different but I would get at least 2 or 3 different opinions.

I just wonder if a pill can stop a normal body funtion what else is it doing to your body.

Have a good day
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #25
pegasus
, a gr8 peer support

ok 2 points... 1) in my family we start early and end early... ive dealt with peri menopause since my 30s and, now in my early 40s im starting on the full blown thing....ugh! and 2) it is not just a concept, but proven fact that women that reside in the same house hold will, after time, have their cycles at the same time. There are exceptions to this, of course, but generally speaking it happens.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote