Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old August 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #1
safechrissy

Keeping Kids Safe Online

I found this service offered which searches for your child’s information on the Internet. If found, it reports in clear detail what information your child is leaving on the Internet, in public for all to see. Its cheap and works good so far. I just want other concerned parents out there to know that there are options to keeping your child safe online.
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #2
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Just a note to all who wonder - this site costs you $49.95 / year or $9.95 per month.
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oooh, probably a lot cheaper to put the computer in the kitchen and keep an eye on your child's online activity yourself.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #4
MintyFemme2

^5 Cod! In my opnion the best way to montitor your child's activity on the computer is to be right with your child.
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Wink Oh yes!

(((((((( Cod Minty PoohsBigSister safechrissy)))))

I agree with you Cod and Minty on being with your child when they are on the internet. Its' always smart to be safe than sorry. (IMO) LOL

PoohsBigSister where have you been? Ltns sure would love to see you in chat sometime. Not sure about doing that yet since I have no money yet. LOL Maybe in time.

Thank you safechrissy for telling us about that website. It is a plus for parents who want to keep their kids safe.

I wish all of you to Have a great day!
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM   #6
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

LOL!! Some days, I can't even find my thoughts let alone my computer key board! I'm at the same job, but still no car, so I'm commuting via bus and it's 2 hours one way...ugh! by the time I get home at night, I focus all my energies towards the kids and lance and well, then I fall into bed and do it all over again the next day. Not that I want to keep doing this for the rest of my life, but it is keeping the bills paid and food on the table.

I miss you all so much...sometimes I get a second or two at work and surf over to "connect". We have moved offices, and I now have my own private office, so I can maybe connect during lunch time now instead of having the boss look over my shoulder (yes, even on our own time she does that!).

I agree with Minty and Cod as well... for the younger kids, it is a definate must to be on the computer with them or sitting next to them when they are on the computer - there are too many wackos out there!

My kids are both teens now, and sitting with them on the computer isn't exactly an option - sooo..we have LOTS AND LOTS Of communication about computer time and priviledges. Also, the computer that is hooked to the internet is in the office - and they have to ask permission to use it - and they have time limits. At school, they are "on their own", but that is where the communication comes in. I have the passwords to my kids' email and any site they have joined. It's our rule, and they know and abide by it. So far, neither has abused the rules.

We have regular talks about computer safety and such... just like you talk to your kids about stranger danger and never getting into a car with a stranger, you have to talk to them about computer strangers too....

Anyway...love ya ladies! I'll be lurking...

ttyl
Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:35 AM   #7
IRISH_EYES_99

((((((((((((( PBS ))))))))))))))))),

$49.95... and what do you give them the info to check on?? So now you're adding to field.

Sit by your kids, or as in PBS's case having the passwords and chats with your children on safety issues should be a giving.

^5 PBS, COD, Minty. In this day and age of computer WE have to know what our kids are up too. The computer should be out in the open.

If they are chatting they should be monitered.

You should not have to pay$ to check your kids comings and goings on the computer by paying a 3rd party.

Seriously how safe do we know these sites that claim to be safe are??? Do your own monitering.
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #8
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Amen to that!!
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Talking Yeppers!!!

((((PBS IRISH))))

Yep I agree....communication as well as rules is the key. I also agree with that if your children are younger, you should be sitting by them just in case.

Never hurts to be safe than sorry.

Have a great day!