Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Physical Health

Old March 30th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #1
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Periods and Problems

Ok..sooo... I started my period today...for the THIRD (YES 3!!) time this month!

Now... in December, I had a colposcopy done (2 abnormal paps) and had 3 biopsy's taken of cells on my cerivix. Nothing to worry about..non-cancerous!! Whoohoo!!

BUT...
Since then, I've been having problems with my periods. January's was EXTRA heavy and I figured that was due to the procedure done just a couple of weeks before that. Feb. was extra LONG (9 days!) but of normal flow. Well, now...March has just been one long period with a few days breaks in between.

I know I am probably worrying about nothing. I've been sick and stressed the last three weeks, so any other symptoms have gone unnoticed except that for the last four or five days, I cry every day at the drop of a hat. That has been driving me crazy! LOL!

Anyway... I called the dr's office and the nurse said... probably nothing... just wait and see...or call the OB if you want to. The OB is closed today.... soooooooooooo... I turn to you all!

What do you think? (As a woman...not as medical advice )
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

As a woman, I think yuck, not fun at all.

I would definitely make an appointment with your OB/GYN. Something is amiss, I'd say, and just the fact that you find yourself worrying, is reason enough.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #3
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

lol!!!!!!!! I plan to make an apt. since my gp doesn't want to see me...it'll have to be the ob... but since I have to wait...it's good to know someone else agrees with me.
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:38 AM   #4
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

PBS , COD is right get ye to the OB!! As for me, I've had about enough of that monthly joy! My fp last time I saw her said in a shocked tone"YOU"RE still having a period!? I'm getting most of the symptoms of menopause but still flowing! OH joy as in not at all! LOL I told one of the girls at work the person who wrote "It's A Joy Being A Girl" should be shot!!!
Any way good luck PBS, keep us posted.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:30 AM   #5
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

ROTFL!!! Well, this rates up there with one of the most painful periods I have had! I took about 1/2 bottle of motrin last night...ugh! So am definately calling today! I don't normally have cramps.... and when I do... it is the day before and in my back and not too severe...I don't usually even have to take anything for them. But... I'll call today and let ya'll know what she says!

((((((((((((((((((((Crazy)))))))))))))))))))))
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM   #6
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

Well you better! LOL Hon to be honest this has not been a fun month for mine either. All kidding aside please let us know what the out come is. We love ya PBS
crazymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #7
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

PBS, I feel for you, I really do.

I'd had enough and I was slated for a partial abdominal hysterectomy in September (ovaries remain) but had second thoughts and cancelled my surgery.

My OB instead put me on a low-estrogen pill for hemorragia and dysmenorrhea. It's called Alesse, and so far, it's been a godsend. Since starting it in September, my periods are only "spotting" -- no more spending 3 or 4 days in bed writhing and no more bleeding like a stuck pig!

I don't know that this is necessarily the best solution for you, and I wouldn't suggest that it is -- I'm not a doctor. I do, however, concur with the others that you should see your OB as soon as possible.

If you still need to discuss your concerns, you will find a wealth of information and many, many supportive and helpful people who, like you and me, suffer with this and other reproductive problems at http://www.hystersisters.com. They talk about problems such as endo, adeno, fibroids, cysts, hemorragia, and dysmenorrhea. I'm so glad I found that site!

It was because of the information on this site (both <i>for</i> and <i>against</i> hysterectomies) that I decided to put mine on hold until I knew more.

I may open the book on that again should the Alesse not work. (Depo and combination pills are not an option for me, since I suffer from both migraine headaches and glaucoma. My choices are limited as far as pills go.)

I wish you all the best of luck. {{{ PBS }}}

Keep us posted, sweetie! As I say, the Hyster Sisters really really helped me wrestle with my decision and I learned so much!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:37 AM   #8
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

crazymomma, I remember when I was in 5th grade (back in 1980), the health nurse took all the girls aside and talked to us about menstruation. We each got a box with samples of belts and pads and other junk, along with a little booklet on glossy paper entitled, "It's Wonderful Being a Girl" (or something similar)

Like you, I believe whoever penned that piece of tripe was probably not a woman to begin with but some deranged space alien or equally deranged nutball who needs to be tarred and feathered.

Anyway, you know what I'm saying.

You gather the wood, I'll light the pyre!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM   #9
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Thursday 4/8 was the soonest they could see me. BUT I did make the appt. Now... here's a new twist... while I have had cramps all along, I stopped actually "having my period" yesterday. The boyfriend and I decided to "fool around" last night and boom... it's back with a vengence!

I give up... I'm tired, crabby, annoyed, weepy, and more...and I'm just darn sick of this whole thing ya know???

Thanks all for being here.... and for letting me vent and all.

((((((((((((((((EVERYONE)))))))))))))))))))))))
Old April 4th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #10
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

((((PBS)))) If you can't vent to your friends who can you vent to?
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #11
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

amen to that crazy!!!! I talked to my neighbor/co-worker/friend (yes..she is all that in one!!) and she told me I was probably feeling tired because of low iron... I didn't even think about that...sooo... off to Walmart I went to buy some extra vitamins! grief!

I did do some fun stuff today though...bought some bricks for the flower beds... bought some lawn chairs...and a badmitton/volleyball set and put that up. We played for a few hours tonight...what a great family game!

anyway... I'll let ya know.

(((((((((((((((((CRAZY))))))))))))))))))))
Old April 9th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #12
Sabra

Perhaps a second or third opinion or think about having a vaginal hysterectomy or living with this.....? there are medications which can be tried then go from there. or ask for an abdominal hysterectomy leaving your ovaries and leaving your clitoris Believe me there is a huge difference
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #13
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Well, went to the gyn yesterday. She did a pelvic exam...said my cervix looks good. So.... she took three vials of blood, to test and checked my iron count which was normal. I'm going back next week for an ultra sound of my uterus to see if there are any growths, polyps, and to measure the lining of my uterus to make sure that isn't the problem. She mentioned that they just don't know enough yet to diagnose anything. sssoooooooooooo.... to be continued until next week. SIGH..........
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #14
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

{{{ pbs }}} will be thinking of you. Good luck!
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #15
LiamFan!

Good luck, PBS.