Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Lesbians Online

Old January 12th, 2001, 04:37 PM   #1
QuietWOW
WOW Host

When did you realize you were lesbian? What was the process like for you? Or is this something new for you right now?

Are you out to your friends, family, and/or coworkers? Was it hard to tell them? How did they react?

Any words of wisdom for the rest of us?
QuietWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2001, 04:42 PM   #2
QuietWOW
WOW Host

Are you "out" at work? Do you live someplace where you can lose your job if you "come out?" How do you relate to homophobic colleagues?

QuietWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2001, 07:48 AM   #3
QuietWoman

For many years I worked in a Bank, and being out just was not on the cards. I knew several other lesbians who worked there, and I still see one when I go to pay bills, and so on. I hope that things are easier there now than they used to be, but I don't know.

Now, I work at a University, and there is just no problem about being out. And it is so blissful to work with colleagues who, for the most part, really couldn't care less. On the whole I'm not out with students, but that's just because there is no reason to be. I know I could be, should there be a need.

QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2001, 10:25 PM   #4
roo

I'm completely out. Not just to my family and where I work, but all my friends. Life is to short to hide what and whom matters
Old March 28th, 2001, 10:23 AM   #5
candygirl1030

I am completely out to all that know me. I am a full time college student and I have no problem saying something about my girlfriend when we get to chatting about plans for the weekend or such. I do not know what it will be like when I go to work but then again I do not introduce myself as " Hi my name is_____ I am a lesbian." Personally I don't care who knows my partner is a woman but then again I do not care who other people choose to love(does that make sense). Being a lesbian isn't all that there is about me...I am smart, funny, a great friend and a Mom. What difference does it make to anyone who I choose to spend my life with.
candygirl1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2001, 01:15 PM   #6
ScoobyWOW
WOW Host

Thumbs up

I am completely out at my work!! She will come up and have dinner or breakfast with me... heck she even used to work there part time! Luckily for being a smaller town in Southern Indiana everyone is very open and could really care less.. and if they do they keep it to themselves. I have actually had less problems here than I had while living in Indianapolis. I had my car spray painted one night with some not too pleasant lesbian references at one job. The moron failed to realize that the parking lot had video cameras so he was caught on tape. I pressed no charges but got the pleasure of standing over his shoulder while he used rubbing compound to remove the paint!! I gave him the choice.. that or charges pressed!
I am who I am..{kinda sounding like popeye now!lol}... and as one of the girls I work with says... "I have no shame in my game"!! I am not one to rub it in anyones face but I have no problem when asked telling anyone I have a gf!
Old March 29th, 2001, 05:43 AM   #7
PeasWOW
WOW Host

hhmm well, I have been out for a long time. My other half and I have been together for 19 years and we work for the same company in two different facilities. We are both department heads as well and everyone knows we are together. My family and friends all know as well. It's kinda hard to hide those many years!!!!!! But believe it or not, we were not 'out' for 9 of them. Just the last 11. Best thing we ever did.
PeasWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2001, 08:59 AM   #8
QuietWoman

Funny thing happened ... I have always thought of myself as being very out at college - as I said up there .

The other day a student phoned me and during the convo he said "I don't know if you know this, but I'm gay ..." and I realised he was assuming that I'm not. I've been teaching him since September - but he had no idea. That made me think about that thing candy said earlier "Hello, I'm Q-W and I'm a lesbian" etc. What do I do? Wear a double-women's symbol around my neck? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Anyway, having thought about this I decided that it does matter to me to the extent that I would want gay - and expecially lesbian - students to know that I'm there. Just for them to feel less alone - y'know?

So I talked to my gay man friend at college and we've decided to host a meeting for new students next year - just so's they know

And yes - I did tell the gay man student who started all this.

((((((Everyone)))))
Old March 30th, 2001, 09:30 AM   #9
ScoobyWOW
WOW Host

Ok ladies... I have a work related story that I would like to share with you all. It is for the most part G-rated.
First off I work for Waffle House....I used to be the manager but I got smart and now just cook!LOL! Wel while I was still managing I worked on 1st shift. One of my waitresses well lets just say you do not have to worry about her talking behind your back... she will just tell you how it is to your face!! She also has a very dry sense of humor so she can be very hard to read.
Well this one Sunday I was pigging out all morning. I had brought doughnuts in for everyone and I had like 3 of them.... and hour later I made myself an order of hashbrowns. Well when I went to make myself a waffle.. this waitress says "Dang Lisa, you are eating again?". Well one of the non knowing regulars pipes up and says.... "Oh, she must be pregnant". Then the waitress starts laughing and says.... "Well, if SHE is pregnant it is going to come out needing batteries!" THE entire restaraunt was silent! LOL! All eyes went from her immediately to me. Everyone was waiting for my reaction. I could see the look in everyones face that said..... "If Lisa laughs.. we all will laugh! If she does not.. we will all give the waitress dirty looks!!"
Well needless to say after the initial shock of her saying it.. I had to laugh!! No matter how unappropriate at the time.. it was FUNNY!!
But also understand.. I joke and kid around with everyone at my work.. I will be hosing down the floor and accidentally spray one of the waitresses feet. I will smile and say.. "I'm sorry, I did not mean to make ya wet." Or they ask for an order of toast.. "Sure, I will butter yer bread!" All just in good fun and humor!! Heck they not only know I am harmless but also that Annie would kick my ass!! LOL

Old March 30th, 2001, 12:13 PM   #10
candygirl1030

Hello...my name is candy and I am a lesbian<EG>

(*(*(*(Scooby)*)*)*)ROFL

(*(*(*(PeasWOW)*)*)*) awwww

(*(*(*(Quiet)*)*)*) I think that is a great idea....some ppl are so scared to be 'out' that there should be somewhere and someone to talk with about things. Living the lifestyle we do it is not easy to find others like us other than the bars. WTG QW! I think that you will be doing alot of the students some good
candygirl1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2001, 03:28 PM   #11
huee

i think student groups are a great idea. i'm in college too & i always wonder about my profs. some of them i know from running into them outside of school, but i'm sure some of them are closeted. the best experience i've had at school is this semester with my lit prof, who is straight. she totally brings up issues about homophobia all the time, which i think is so cool. it's validating to have someone who isn't gay bring attention to things that might otherwise be dismissed as part of the "gay agenda". i'm totally out everywhere - otherwise my life becomes too complicated to try & explain. i have the benefit of having a daughter with my ex-girlfiend, so i get to enlighten people all day long!
huee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2001, 08:20 PM   #12
QuietWoman

Yes ((((((huee)))))) that's so wonderful when it happens!

And thank you ((((((candy))))))
Old April 8th, 2001, 10:47 PM   #13
roo

ROFL Peas!!!!!!

Hey fellow (((((vet))))) Believe it or not I was fairly out in the army. My platoon sgt HATED me. Just nothing I did was right. I was a squad leader and he just rode my back. One day he pulled me into his office and said "Are you a lesbian?" And I said yes. After that I was his best buddy. He used to make me go to Nashville with him to "cruise" LOL
Old May 1st, 2001, 03:52 PM   #14
QuietWoman

From what I've heard about the services here, it's pretty much known that a number of the women are gay. just not really talked about. not that I was ever a soldier or nothing (imagine that!) but I've met women who were.

I s'pose that's the way it is in quite a lot of jobs really? Folks know, but not a lot is said.
Old July 13th, 2001, 04:53 PM   #15
Ayla

Smile ALL OUT!

Well, I'm out and its kind of a funny story. I work for the same institution as my mother. When I came out to her, she aske if she could "talk" with some of her coworkers about it. Before I knew it, most of the office knew with the exception of a few people. I am now very used to being out at work and as long as I am at this institution I will continue to be out. I may be out at future jobs but I don't have to worry about that just yet eh.