Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Women in the Workforce

Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
workingmom

Help! 2 Great Jobs

In the current economy, I have no right to be so stressed about choosing between two great jobs, but they are both so different. I've never posted anything in an online community, but I'm really looking for feedback. My family and friends are A. tired of hearing me change my mind every 20 minutes and B. not willing to suggest either for fear I will remember their advice only if I regret my choice. So here's my choice, please tell me which you would choose....

Job 1: I am a corporate writer at a Fortune 500. I love my job and the people. Typical 9 to 5, but the company was taken private. There's a lot of pressure and insecurity right now. My position is in transition, so I will be doing more work for new (and not my favorite) people. My soon to be supervisor, (who I like fine) walks in this week and tells me my new role in the organization warrants an 11 percent raise (And this is after I'd accepted a new job but hadn't returned the offer letter). Until this my choice definitely in favor of Job 2 (even if it meant a pay cut)

Job 2: A university instructor. What else is there to say.... it's rewarding; the vacation time is great. Who could turn down more than 3 months vacation every year, especially when I have 2 beautiful little girls and their dad is headed to Iraq in '09. My choice was clear, but now I've spent a week weighing the new raise, I'm tempted by the money.

I'm the primary breadwinner. The money is close annually because of a state education pension plan and summer teaching, but the monthly income teaching is about $800 a month. Big Cut!

There's more security at the university, but there's more room for career advancement in corporate communications.

I've prayed, made pros and cons lists and changed my mind 20 times a day. I love both jobs (I teach as an adjunct already).

Help!
Working Mom
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #2
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

so, project a year in the future..which job are you HAPPIER AT? Which job is more fufilling? and which job can you come home to your family and be a part of your family, not stressing/obsessing about work and work related things... which one allows you to WORK TO LIVE..not LIVE TO WORK??

good luck with your choice.... let us know how it's going!
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Tiffin
Mistress of HandCrafted

You have a very hard choice to make, it is never easy deciding one?s future.

If I was you, this would be my choice and the following are the reason behind my choice.

I would take the University position.

If you choose the corporate world, their pensions are not written in stone. Many in fact have done away with any company based pension and You only put into account that the company says is good and will help you built your future, or you are at your own for putting into some 401K/IRA. Don?t believe it for a second that any of those are safe. Then they choose what other benefits you pay Through the nose again, and that changes pretty often if you have medical, death, and etc. Many company?s go under Even the big corporations. And when there is a buy out and you are seeing this now Key employees are let go at once then: - they offer some employees a Raise to have you stay & they promote you into positions held by others. Usually this is done because you know the system of the old company and they rely on you for that, but you have not the experience/voice to challenge the system in your old position and they believe you be so happy with the new position and raise that you don?t realize the changes they are doing. Then when all the dust clears and things settle down and it all seems very smooth and easy You are let go. I?ve seen this happen over and over. But I?ve also seen where it does work out. Corporate world is always changing. Most states allow company?s to have ?fire at will? any reason they may have an employee let go. Layoffs in corporate world in also very big and are silently done. With the economy in the toilet right now I would be wanting the most secure job I could take for the next 10 years.

Reasons for the University position:

1. Education will never go away. Folks will always want a education to be able to work in those Corporate Worlds <G>

2. You have tenture after a few years and You basically have to die at your desk to be let go.

3. The benefits you receive outweigh any comparable company. Retirement is State ran, and takes law changes for that to be messed with. Most universities and colleges offer free tuition/or very discounted to your children. YOur insurance for health and dental you pay but the rate is lower because you under all the state insurance programs.

4. Although pay at this time is low, you could add to income during those wonderful vacation times as a Consultant or Free Lancer to the Corporate World. Yet still give you the freedom to be with your family.

Much success in you choice and please let us know what you decide.
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #4
camaliya

Hi, I applied on line for a government grant. The next day they called me to tell that I was approved. I had to print out and sign a contract and send it with a cashier?s check, for the grant writing fee, via express mail. Then call the customer service number and tell them the tracking number. A few hours later the agent taking care of me called me back to confirm the tracking number. But they haven?t given anything. Is it happened with anyone?