Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Violence Against Women

Old January 12th, 2001, 11:27 PM   #1
AuntieWOW

Where does the urge to violence come from? What can we do to lessen the violence in our world?
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2002, 12:13 PM   #2
janshouse

Most women of poverty, rarely are allowed to effectively speak on any topic. In fact even most lower middle-classes women, cannot afford to produce Bumper stickers. Nor unlike Yoko Ono they also cannot afford $150,000 a week to advertise their point of view on a sign in Piccadilly Circus, saying

"Imagine all the people living life in peace."

The Proud Lesbians of Poverty envisions their name alone informs the public that contrary to the myth, not all Lesbians/Gays or LGBT's are affluent.

So the message this international group located in Maine USA intends to get out there, is simply "listen and respond to the powerless and the disenfranchised." Presently this group formed in the spring of 2000 has selected to speak on Ending Rape.

We have an un-funded, yet modest advertising budget of $77,000 a year. This still un-raised years cost, is the amount the brave Yoko Ono will spend for half a week, to advertise her late husbands words.

The newly founded Proud Lesbians of Poverty is Open to "all" regardless of Race, Gender, sexual orientation, age, income, religion. The only website the group can afford; a free web site, can be found at: http://pages.ivillage.com/rosytulips...iansofpoverty/

When those of least power - as the poor, can speak out in a manner causing change; violence will end. It matters little if the Proud Lesbians of Poverty fights for the end of rape or world peace. The ending of any violence sets in motion for the ceasing of all violent behavior. The dis-empowered speaking for themselves, is the key.

Us women, can accomplish a halt to many forms of violence. As ending the nightmares of poverty, and the dark valley of shadows, mistrust and tears, rape causes. Life will be enhanced when the pleas of the weakest are heard. It will take the wisdom and generosity of others; men and women with more income than the inadequately paid poor, to provide us that forum.

The Proud Lesbians of Poverty, created a booklet entitled "Real" Men Can Control Their Genitals. It calls ethical sexual behavior. And conveys the idea "Rape is not sex; Anyone more than being beaten with a frying pan is "Cooking. Rape is a crime."

We ask our sisters who believe in freedom, to contribute their time energy cash, and forums, to get our point of view, out to the public. We need bumper stickers, and election type front lawn-signs, either donated or at break even prices. These can be created by anyone in the world, the angel does not need be in Maine, or even in the USA. The Proud Lesbians of Poverty who are two or more underpowered groups in one; seeks magazine space. And bill board space. The ad we create can say "Space Donated By_____-______."

Believe many sisters out there, who would jump at the chance to help create a better world. Would love the opportunity to speak to groups about either Poverty, Ending Rape, or world peace. For in the estimation of some, all three forms of violence, are based on the imposed silence of the weak.

When heart felt pleas go unspoken or unheard, hostages are taken. Property is destroyed, and bombs explode. When the sound of words are unheard, the cries of violence looms. Brutality is the only language felt left available, to the unsuccessfully acknowledged .

What do you think is the cause of violence?
JAN

**edited by sysop to remove phone number. please see website for further info.**

janshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #3
LiamFan!

Just a short note in defense of Yoko Ono. Her (and John Lennon's) Spirit Foundation goes a long way to help many disenfranchised and poverty stricken people.

On October 9, 2001, a concert arranged by Yoko Ono in memory of John Lennon was held at Saitama Super Arena, Japan. John Lennon would have turned 61 that day. The concert was a charitable event (involving the Spirit Foundation founded by John and Yoko) for poor children in Asia and Africa. The proceeds are going towards the construction, already underway, of seven new schools in Burkina Faso, China, Guinea, the Philippines, and Vietnam.

Although what she spends on the sign in Picadilly Circus seems outrageous to those of us who will never see that kind of money, there's no telling how much influence such a prominently displayed sign has on the millions who view it.
Old March 5th, 2002, 04:40 PM   #4
Terri

Note From An Interested Reader

First, knocking other people and the way they spend their own money is not a good way to accumulate supporters. I'm not a big fan of Yoko Ono, but far be it from me to criticize her philantrhopic efforts in her own name or that of her deceased husband.

Second, you should do a rewrite on your appeal. Because of comma placement and common grammatical errors it is difficult to decipher exactly what the intention of the group is. For instance this paragraph:

"The Proud Lesbians of Poverty, created a booklet entitled "Real" Men Can Control Their Genitals. It calls ethical sexual behavior. And conveys the idea "Rape is not sex; Anyone more than being beaten with a frying pan is "Cooking. Rape is a crime."

I'm not sure of the idea that is meant to be conveyed. Just my two cents.
Old April 26th, 2002, 02:27 PM   #5
janshouse

Thumbs up Nothing against Yoko Ono

I admire Yoko Ono. And She has the right to attempt to change peoples minds. She's against war. And war is something which affects all. So I am wishing she can change many minds, with her husbands words.

I used her actions as an illustration that even hard working people who cannot afford to eat, or pay rent, or buy medication, cannot afford to advertise.

That saying about rape is to sex what getting beat over the head is to cooking is NOT my wisdom. I regret if you cannot understand it. Rape is no more sex than getting beat over the head with a frying pan could be considered Cooking. Both Actions include an implement mis-used in another text. BUt Rape it not to be considered sex, anymore than a reasonable person would consider being beat with a frying pan an act of sex.

Thanks for responding. dark blue
janshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2002, 12:32 PM   #6
Sabra

I can only speak personally, about where the seed of my violence can come from. Frustration, anger, despair, irritation, despondency. I work extremely hard not to show any of it, to direct the energy to something positive, to act on rather than react to a situation.

I have never physically hurt another living being, but I have certainly beaten the crap out of pillows with a plastic bat! AND have stopped hopefully forever internalizing my anger and hurting myself emotionally, which tends to become physical by neglecting myself.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2002, 06:51 PM   #7
Angel_Wolf

Wink Wow that is so true!

(((((((((( Sabra ))))))))))))))))) I have found out that usually it comes from one of those you had mentioned. For some of us are not so fortunate to be as good as you. I am learning how to use creative punishment since I was raised by abusive father. That isn't an excuse by any means but I do want you to understand that for some of us we struggle daily. Thanks to others that have enlighten me, I am learning a new techniques. I do know that some days I take a break and recenter myself. Then make sure I know why I am upset and just deal with it. THanks for the insight. Have a great day!
Angel_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2002, 08:05 PM   #8
Sabra

Well geesh Angel, I'm not enlightened, just older I was raised by a very abusive mother, who I found out just before she died was abused herself, but this is a whole other tale.

I'm not "good" either, I still struggle to keep my temper under control etc. I'm running out of pillows LOL
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote