Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Games, Jokes & Other Fun Stuff

Old January 12th, 2001, 10:33 PM   #1
AuntieWOW

My Role Model Is ...

Is your mother your role model? Why is that?

My Role Model Is.. NOT my Mother! NEVER!!

Anyone got any other role models, real or fictional?
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2001, 03:11 PM   #2
fishead

She is truely, my hero!!!
Old April 24th, 2001, 06:18 PM   #3
shandy

Auntie Wow

Likewise.

Not my mother. She clings, holds the record on guilt
for others, knows IT ALL, never lets go or up.

told my kids earlier on.....when you see me acting like
your grandmother.....slap me HARD. I love her to pieces
but I do not want to ever be like her outside manner.Her
loving manner , yes. Her public one,,,,NEVER
Old April 24th, 2001, 06:36 PM   #4
QuietWoman

(((((shandy))))) sheesh hon, I bet that's hard sometimes. Seems to me tho' that so long as you know you don't wanna be that way, you're probably VERY different
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2001, 09:23 PM   #5
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

My mother has always been a role model for me, and although I've chosen to live my life completely differently than she has, she inspires me continually.<p>
About 6 months ago, about October of 2000, while going through the preliminary tests prior to having a fairly complicated shoulder surgery, she found out she was diabetic. The shoulder surgery went on hold as she underwent further tests, and took a 2-day nutrition course for diabetics. Then, when stabilized, she had the shoulder surgery.<p>
Having recovered about 70% from the surgery, she was determined to come visit me from the Midwest to see the Rose Parade as we'd planned for months. She came to California, and we spent a wonderful week together, going to the parade, touring the Getty Center, dining on the San Clemente Pier, touring the Mission in San Juan Capistrano, and enjoying each other's company. She scrupulously kept to her diet, yet enjoyed dining all the same. It was a great visit!<p>
Then came the rest of the winter, during which she underwent a D&C surgery - no fun, but not too bad, she said. She recovered quickly. In early April, she and my dad took a month-long road trip from the Midwest to Alaska. She took her first helicopter ride - the first and therefore "guinea pig" trip of the spring season for the helicopter pilot - to a glacier! She and Dad have pictures drinking champagne on the glacier. Dad has always been an adventure freak - he's a former Marine fighter pilot, and fearless. But I was amazed at Mom for enthusiastically riding in the helicopter, not to mention riding a train with a huge snowplow mounted on the front up to Whitehorse, the path taken by the gold miners back in the day. She and my dad are both internet literate, and they called and emailed a lot from the trip, sharing it with the whole family. It was a wonderful trip, and I admire them both for taking pleasure in the little things in life, like spotting mountain goats or detouring to see Devil's Tower on the way home. They're home safely now, and after a weekend to unpack, do laundry, and rest up, they're both back at work.<p>
Mom does our hometown high school's alumni newsletter, which takes a lot of time and dedication. She's always involved in community activities, from helping out with our town's fall festival to spearheading charitable events.<p>
Maybe the most awesome thing she ever did was to keep an eye on my Aunt Naomi when "Auntie" was the only one left alive on the family farm. When Auntie's health got too bad for her to live way out in the country alone, Mom found her a place to rent - right across the street! That way, Auntie could have her own place and be as independent as she was able, and Mom was right across the street when Auntie needed help. Going out of her way to allow Auntie to live out the remainder of her life with dignity moves me deeply. I am determined that my mother will never end up in a rest home, whatever it takes. She should be allowed that same dignity that she afforded Auntie, too, in spades.<p>
When I was young, she was a reporter for the local newspaper while my dad managed the (now-defunct) family trucking company with his dad and brothers. I thought it was very cool back then that when the fire whistle blew, whatever time of day or night, my mom was in the loop and off with her camera and notepad to get the story.<p>
My mom has made mistakes, and she doesn't always acknowledge them, which frustrates me, but it's such a small price to pay for having someone I not only love, but admire, respect, and genuinely enjoy! I know it satisfies her that all 3 of her children have good jobs and are productive members of society. I know she wishes someone would have grandkids, but don't look at me, my sister's husband is sterile after cancer treatments, and my bro isn't in a committed relationship - he's our last hope. ;-)<p>
So, yes, my mom is my hero, my role model, and a very best friend. When my life seems to spin out of control, she and my whole family are the calm in the eye of the storm, and I love them all dearly for it. But, I best quit singing her praises before I run out of room! <G>
Old April 3rd, 2002, 04:43 PM   #6
Nix

Oh how I agree, the day I look in the mirror and that old crone is there, somebody shoot me please!!!
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2002, 06:58 PM   #7
Spirit

No way!!! Not my mom!! First of all, back in '68 when my folks divorced, Dad got custody of me, my twin brother, and our sister because mom told the judge that she didn't want us :-(
Secondly, having a chance to reunite after having not seen each other in like 27 years, she chose not to see me because I have a biracial son.
She set an example of the kind of mother that I would never be.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 02:42 AM   #8
Nix

Pain

Please forgive me for asking but why oh why would you go back after all that time and try to recapture something that even if it was there in the first place, had definately been lost. I'm so curious as my daughter (now 20) has been slighted by her father on numerous occasions over the years, we haven't lived as a family for 19 years, and I don't understand why she will allow this man, who consistantly tells and proves to her that he wants nothing to do with her, to be so important to her. 7 months ago, her first son and our first grandchild died from cot death, her father refused to come to the funeral as "he has another life now" - his mother who was 82 at the time came on her own!!!! Being a mother has gifts and pain, I strive all day not to be my mother but Michael's mother knew what was right and did it regardless, you can't fault that. XX
Old April 11th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #9
Spirit

I had hoped that if we ever met again, that she would tell me that over the years she had seen the error of her ways. I wanted her to say that she was sorry. And I wanted her to say that the reason that she had not been in contact in so many years was that she was afraid that I would reject her. After all those years, I still wanted a mother's love. I had gone through a lot of pain in my life believing that if my own mother couldn't love me. nobody else could either. Yes, I wanted to see her again. I wanted to find out that she loved me after all.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #10
Nix

I'm so sorry that your search ended the way it did. I think your mother must be a very sad and lonely person. Much like my ex, it takes a very strong self-hatred to be so cold and dispassionate. I can understand how as a mother yourself you find this completely incomprehensible but I'm sure this angst will give you something very positive in your relationship with your child. I know it did me, we have always been extremely open with our affection for one another and I always, always tell her how much I love her. Not the done thing when you're a stuck up english person like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 30th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #11
~Hummingbird~

My Mom has softened tremendously over the past years but I gotta tell ya just when I think she has become the Mother I always needed she shows her "Real" self once again! Can certainly relate on this subject.
~Hummingbird~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:54 PM   #12
Angel_Wolf

Wink Yes my GirlFriends like all of you

It don't matter if your married or not, its the love that is shared.......

Young and newly married, I relaxed under a pecan tree on a hot Texas summer
day, drinking iced tea and getting to know my new sister-in-law, Estelle. Not
much older than I, but already the mother of three, Estelle seemed to me
experienced and wise...
"Get yourself some girlfriends," she advised, clinking the ice cubes in her
glass. "You are going to need girlfriends. Go places with them; do things
with them." What a funny piece of advice, I thought. Hadn't I just gotten
married? Hadn't I just joined the couple-world? I was a married woman, for
goodness sake, not a young girl who needed girlfriends. But I listened to
this new sister-in-law. I got myself some girlfriends. As the years tumbled by, one after another,
gradually I came to understand that Estelle knew what she was talking about.
Here is what I now know:

Girlfriends bring casseroles and scrub your bathroom when you are sick.

Girlfriends keep your children and keep your secrets.

Girlfriends give advice when you ask for it. Sometimes you take it, sometimes you don't.

Girlfriends don't always tell you that you're right, but they're usually honest.

Girlfriends still love you, even when they don't agree with your choices.

Girlfriends might send you a birthday card, but they might not. It does not matter in the least.

Girlfriends laugh with you, and you don't need canned jokes to start the laughter.

Girlfriends pull you out of jams.

Girlfriends don't keep a calendar that lets them know who hosted the other last.

Girlfriends will give a party for your son or daughter when they get married
or have a baby, in whichever order that comes!

Girlfriends are there for you, in an instant and truly, when the hard times
come.

Girlfriends listen when you lose a job or a husband.

Girlfriends listen when your children break your heart.

Girlfriends listen when your parents' minds and bodies fail.

Once we were young, with no idea of the incredible joys or the incredible sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know
how much we would need each other.
To which I add, never understatement the power of a woman who is also your
friend!
Angel_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #13
Lou
Idealist

My mother is 83. She still drive, and she knows one road to my house, only one. It's about an 8-mile drive. Yesterday, while driving to my house, that road was blocked, blocked with cones, wooden barriers, and police officers. Mom, because she knows only one road and cannot detour because she will risk getting lost, drove through the barriers. Three miles later, the police managed to get her to stop. This is the first ticket of her life, and the cop said it will cost her. Poor mom. Her feeling, nevertheless, is that they had no business barricading the ONE road to my house.
Old October 28th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #14
anniejoan

ROFL Lou! Awwwwww the poor sweetie.
Old October 28th, 2002, 09:44 PM   #15
anniejoan

Wait! Wait! Shouldn't I be able to find another
goblin for this??!! I read, I posted.......now where the heck is another goblin??!!