Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old August 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #1
RockinGal

For baby?

What are some of your favorite baby products like diapers, formula, wipes, etc.? I've been looking for cheaper bargains when it comes to everything. Anyone try mom to mom?
RockinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #2
kraftykid

RockinGal a lot of people are going green by using cloth diapers. You can save a bunch of money that way and afterward have some absolutely wonderful rags. Formula? Better leave that up to your doctor. We had to go soy because of allergies. Drs. also recommended using canned formula because you know exactly what nutrition the baby is getting.
kraftykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #3
IRISH_EYES_99

Going green or turning green with the cloth diapers ??? Actually with my oldest I had no other choice she was allergic to the disposable diapers. Cloth diapers are most likely the best way to go. Green wise for the enviroment, and green wise for the $ saved.

Formula is your personal choice. So long as it agrees with the baby, My daughter didn't do the formula route.

If I may I'd suggest vaseline or corn starch for diaper rash. Rather than all those creams that we don't always know what is in them.

Know a little tiny bit over the child bearing stage <WEG> Just a smideon
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4
RockinGal

I've never seen cloth diapers in stores unless I'm not looking hard enough. I have seen pictures of them and must say they look comfortable and cute.
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #5
kraftykid

Check out Target, they have all kinds. You can even buy them on-line.
kraftykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #6
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

target, walmart, babies r us - they all have cloth diapers. They just aren't in the "disposable diaper" aisle..they are with the receiving blankets, binkies, and diaper covers, onsies, etc. that are hanging on the wall.

My kids are now 15 and 16..sooo..i'm well past baby age...but my sister has a one month old. They are doing cloth diapers...and even with the diaper service they signed up with, it's cheaper per month than I paid for diapers for my kids 15 years ago! so, definitely something to look into!

I agree with Irish, there's nothing like cornstarch as a powder! adn there's no harsh chemicals that might get into baby's lungs!!! Vaseline works wonders for diaper rash..we used bag balm sometimes too!

i always bought my baby bath supplies in bulk from costco... so, don't know about that...

and formula... definitely have to talk to the doc before you THINK about switching to anything else!! Baby's tummies do NOT like change.

i breastfed one and formula fed one... I have to say it was much much easier on ME with the formula fed one because dad could take the midnight feeding so I could get 5 or 6 hours straight sleep.

my .02 worth!
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #7
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

You mean you are supposed to sleep when you have a new baby???
How come no one told me that? ROFL!!!

Hugs to all!!!
Daccie
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #8
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

LOL!!!! no.. not really, but it's a nice thought isn't it?? giggle!!
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #9
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

hehehe
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #10
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I used cloth with both of mine. Of course that was 25-30 years ago! Neither one could wear disposables. They were both intolerant of the baby soaps and I had to use Cetaphil for them both.

Cloth diapers really are cheaper in the long run but a pain in the ass to clean<g>.

After both of my kids were finished with them, I actually had a lady ask me if she could buy them for her grandbaby. Out of about 12 dozen or so I only had to throw away about 5 diapers. The others were still in great condition with very few, if any stains.

If you rinse them out right away, then put them in a diaper pail with a mixture of Dreft and water, by the time you wash them in the washer with Dreft (again) they come out pretty clean. At that time I always hung them outside to dry so the sun helped to bleach them.

Formula has really gotten out of hand in price. I don't know how parents of babies can afford it. My daughter pays $25 a can for hers and he goes through 2 cans in a week. My son was on 2% milk by the time he was 6 weeks old since he couldn't tolerate any of the formulas at the time. He had a wonderful pediatrician, who really wasn't a pediatrician, but a family doc. Thank goodness he was old fashioned and didn't believe in all the crap doctors spew now a days.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #11
IRISH_EYES_99

May I also add when my oldest daughter was born the pediatrician at the hospital gave some very sound advise ...

YOU CANNOT SPOIL A CHILD BY HOLDING Her/Him TO MUCH! He said there was no such thing. YOu spoil them by giving into other whims as they get older. So go on hold that baby. It's works as a great connection tool.
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #12
OkieStorm
Hey! From Oklahoma!

Indeed. There was a poem my mom used to say....cant remember it all but it was something about...the dust bunnies will wait....rock that baby before it's too late...???
I am so very excited today because tomorrow i get my 2nd Grandbaby!!!!!
C-cection for daughter scheduled for 8:15 am!
Its been a long pregnancy for my daughter. I think she's feels like she will just be pregnant forever...lol!
Ive been reading these post and arent there just an overwhelming amount of decisions to made with new babies??? I guess mothers really do have to rely on instinct and hope the pick what works best for their babies.
Sadielou motto: Baby's are Boss!!!
((((((hugs to all))))))
Okiestorm
OkieStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #13
RockinGal

I agree that holding babies will not harm them. Who wouldn't want to hold their child all the time.

Okie, how is the baby?

DLC55, that formula is expensive! mom to mom makes formula and it's $15.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #14
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

My sister has been getting "unsound advice" from of all people MY MOTHER!! Serenity is a month and three weeks old. this week would have been my sister's original due date, so... she's basically a full term newborn right now. she weighs 8lbs finally and is 21 1/2" long.

My MOTHER has been telling my sister that she is spoiling Serenity by picking her up when she cries and by holding her. JEEZ..no WONDER i'm screwed up huh?!?!? LOL!

It took me hours to convince my sister that my mom was full of it! and... I'm pretty sure she asked the pediatrician just to be sure! LOL!

I'm amazed at all the old wives tales that my mother still believes..sigh.

CONGRATS on the baby Okie. how ya feeling DLC??

Love ya all! giggle!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM   #15
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Pooh, school started this week and everyone wants everything yesterday, or the day before, lol. I'm up to my eyeballs in new hire paperwork and still have the accounts receivables to call today! I'll have to tell you one day of all the excuses agencies have for not paying their bills on time and by the cutoff dates which THEY set!

On the baby thing, my mom was old fashined and nixed everything the pediatricians said. I think my kids grew up ok, lol.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote