Queen Goddess

Sarah Palin - A Frightening Choice

The New York Times
OP-ED COLUMNIST

McCain’s Baked Alaska

By GAIL COLLINS
Published: August 30, 2008

DENVER

It is conceivable that some people will think John McCain picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate because she is a woman. I know you find this shocking, but I swear I have heard it mentioned.

McCain does not believe in pandering to identity politics. He was looking for someone who was well prepared to fight against international Islamic extremism, the transcendent issue of our time. And in the end he decided that in good conscience, he was not going to settle for anyone who had not been commander of a state national guard for at least a year and a half. He put down his foot!

The obvious choice was Palin, the governor of Alaska, whose guard stands as our last best defense against possible attack by the resurgent Russian menace across the Bering Strait.

Also a woman, but that’s totally beside the point.

True, the only nonfamily members other than McCain that Palin really mentioned in her introductory speech were Democrats Geraldine Ferraro and Hillary Rodham Clinton. Whatever happened to Ronald Reagan? Isn’t there a rule that you have to mention Ronald Reagan?

“It was rightly noted in Denver that Hillary made 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America,” Palin said. “It turns out the women of America aren’t finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all.”

O.K., the women thing might have been a little bit of a selling point. Not nearly so much as the national guard commandership, of course. But if the millions of Democratic women who are still ticked off at Obama for stepping in front of Hillary in the line want to look elsewhere ...

John McCain has a low opinion of the vice presidency, which he’s frequently described as a job that involves attending funerals and checking on the health of the president. (Happy 72nd birthday, John!) There’s a lot we don’t know yet about Palin, and I am personally looking forward to deconstructing her role in the Matanuska Maid Dairy closing crisis. But at first glance, she doesn’t seem much less qualified than Tim Pawlenty, the governor of Minnesota who most people thought was the most likely pick. Unlike Joe Lieberman, Palin is a member of the same party as the presidential candidate. And unlike Mitt Romney, she has never gone on vacation with the family dog strapped to the roof of the car.

However, I do feel kind of ticked off at the assumptions that the Republicans seem to be making about female voters. It’s a tad reminiscent of the Dan Quayle selection, when the first George Bush’s advisers decided they could close the gender gap with a cute running mate.

The idea that women are going to race off to vote for any candidate with the same internal plumbing is both offensive and historically wrong. When the sexes have parted company in modern elections, it’s generally been because women are more likely to be Democrats, and more concerned about protecting the social safety net. “The gender gap traditionally has been determined by party preference, not by the gender of the candidate,” said Ruth Mandel of the Eagleton Institute of Politics.

Over the last week, we have heard over and over and over that Tuesday was the anniversary of the day women got the right to vote. (They got it when a state representative in Tennessee, where the House was split on the ratification issue, changed his vote because his mother wrote him a letter telling him to shape up. That’s a story that I would love to get into, but, unfortunately, right now we have Sarah Palin to deal with.)

After that big moment of enfranchisement, women went through a long period in the desert where they had the vote but not much else. Then came the great revolutions of the 1970s, when all the assumptions about the natural divisions between the sexes were challenged. During that era, women could be excited and moved by symbolic candidacies that promised a better, more inclusive future, like Shirley Chisholm’s presidential race and Geraldine Ferraro’s presence on the Democratic national ticket.

This year, Hillary Clinton took things to a whole new level. She didn’t run for president as a symbol but as the best-prepared candidate in the Democratic pack. Whether you liked her or not, she convinced the nation that women could be qualified to both run the country and be commander in chief. That was an enormous breakthrough, and Palin’s nomination feels, in comparison, like a step back.

If she’s only on the ticket to try to get disaffected Clinton supporters to cross over, it’s a bad choice. Joe Biden may already be practicing his drop-dead line for the vice-presidential debate: “I know Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is a friend of mine, and governor, you’re no Hillary Clinton.”
Melynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
rjsfeminist

I hope to God that no one crosses the line to vote for McCain on the "strength" of this woman. She is anti-choice, for starters. I could go on and on and on...If I had any misgivings of McCain (and I have plenty), he just doubled these misgivings.
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Melynn
Queen Goddess

From Barbara Boxer - U.S. Senator - California

The Vice President is a heartbeat away from becoming President,
so to choose someone with not one hour's worth of experience on
national issues is a dangerous choice.

If John McCain thought that choosing Sarah Palin would attract
Hillary Clinton voters, he is badly mistaken.

The only similarity between her and Hillary Clinton is that they
are both women. On the issues, they could not be further apart.

Senator McCain had so many other options if he wanted to put a
woman on his ticket, such as Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison or
Senator Olympia Snowe -- they would have been an appropriate
choice compared to this dangerous choice.

In addition, Sarah Palin is under investigation by the Alaska
state legislature which makes this more incomprehensible.

It's clear now more than ever that we can't afford to let John
McCain and the right-wing win this November. http://www.pacforachange.com/
In Friendship,

Barbara Boxer
U.S. Senator
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM   #4
IRISH_EYES_99

Sarah PALIN as a choice is PLAIN scarey. Anti choice yet a proud member of NRA ( just as McCain is) I don't agree with aboration, HOWEVER that's my choice. Freedom of CHOICE is a part of the constitution... maybe not in the very words. It goes along with our Freedom of Speech...
There are some extinuating circumstances that do make it necessary for some. Who am I or anyone else to judge.

Why would that be against the law. Is it everyone's body or an individual body??? Why then is it ok to kill animals?Aren't they too considered God's creations if that is the excuse they are given to go along with their thinking.

NO to McCain. NO to Sarah Palin. They would both cause PAIN in our lives and considering the fact that we have had 8 yrs of pain. We need NO MORE.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Melynn
Queen Goddess

She's a nightmare. It's not just that she's pro life. She's pro creationism being taught in schools. She's against sex education. Pro abstinence, anti education. I agree that the media shouldn't hound her daughter, but they should hound HER. How's that pro abstinence anti education working out for you?

She's for drilling and she doesn't believe in global warming. She is pro ANWR being developed and drilled because, and these are her words, there are no mountains or rivers there so there is nothing to save. She was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it. If someone disagrees with her she fires them or has them fired.

She believes that the war in Iraq is "a task from God."

SHE IS BEING INVESTIGATED FOR ABUSE OF POWER/OFFICE!!! Right now the state senator heading the investigation says the McCain camp is interfering with his investigation in hopes that they can stall the release of his reports until AFTER the election.

The list goes on and on, but of upmost importance is that she has absolutely no experience for the job. A heartbeat away from the presidency?!?! A red button to push at her fingertips? This is the woman for the job?

McCain was always known as a "maverick." This time, his maverick bad temper has resulted in this fiasco of a nomination. He had a knee jerk reaction to the pressure from the good old boys and behaved like a spoiled and angry child. "I'll show you!" He isn't stable and his temper isn't in check. We have a lot of repair work to do all over the world not to mention at home. We can't have this man and his sidekick stamping their feet and dropping bombs on people who don't see things our way. Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place?

Scary and Scarier should be their campaign slogan.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM   #6
DLC55
You owe me for this!

On a couple of other boards I look at he's known as McBush or Bush Light.

What's with the country that the party's can't have strong, educated and experienced people to run for preseident?
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM   #7
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

I hear you on that one DLC..

Although, we can sit here and discuss this until election time is over and then then we will sit and discuss why (our new president) did this and that. For some odd reason my little brain is telling me I should have moved to another country 8 years ago

Hugs to All
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Melynn
Queen Goddess

But we didn't move, and we can't move, and we're here. For eight years under Bill Clinton's Presidency we prospered and were well regarded all over the world. In the past eight years we've lost all of that, we're involved in two wars, and there are plans brewing to attack Iran. Our civil rights have been eroded, our system of checks and balances has been thrown out the window, we operate outside the Geneva Convention, we have the biggest crooks and liars running the oval office, etc.

When President Clinton left office we had an enormous surplus and now we have the largest debt ever in the history of the country. This is the first time in this nation's history that we have gone to war without raising taxes. The majority of the money was borrowed from China. China, the same nation that in the past, we condemned for their behavior and inhumane treatment of their own and others. I guess we won't be saying much now.

I didn't believe in absolutely everything Clinton did or didn't do. However, I trusted him and I trusted that ultimately he had our country's best interests as his top priority.

I don't need to go on and on about the past eight years. We all know the story. For just that reason, however, I'm going to sit and talk wherever I can until I feel that I've done everything in my power to make sure that Barack Obama is the next President of the United States. And, let us not forget the great and fabulously qualified Joe Biden for Vice President! *

* I'm Melynn and this message has not been approved by Barack Obama or Joe Biden.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM   #9
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

LOL Melynn on your approved by Barack Obama.

Yes, I can agree on the Clinton comments.
And yes I do believe that Bush is in the top five worst Presidents we have had.
All I have to say is I hope and pray that Obama (wich he will be) will be our next leader and that he leads us in the right direction. My main concern for him is someone will try to assasinate him. Hope that never happens. That is a worry on my mind and everyone elses minds I am sure..
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Melynn
Queen Goddess

Oh I know, and I agree. That is a nightmare that we certainly don't want to experience again. However, they've learned a lot from our past history and he's very well protected, and, Joe Biden is a wonderful choice and example of someone who should be a heartbeat away from the presidency. He's really a good guy and very accomplished. A very down-to-earth guy and extremely smart!

Let's just get these guys into office and see if they can stop the bleeding, literally and figuratively!
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM   #11
IRISH_EYES_99

We need them in the office NOW! I'm tired of getting emails putting Barack Obama & Joe Biden down. These people need to open up their closed minds and EYES. With Barack Obama & Joe Biden we stand a chance of restoring some of our ecomomy.. better we have a chance of restoring the respect that has been lost due to the current shrub in office.

Shuddering thinking of the alternative. It was reported today that Palin has hired a private attorney with Alaska state monies to take her case. Wonderful show of how state monies should be used!!! Imagine her doing with with Federal monies, don't think for a minute she would hesitate. That should make people think again.

Wish with all my heart that people wouldn't look at one thing that they disagree with. Rather look at the picture as a whole. Then they would see the ONLY right choice to make would be for Barack Obama & Joe Biden ticket. That is most definately
"The Ticket" to have.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Melynn
Queen Goddess

I just want to say, and I swear this is the truth, while watching Sarah Who? speak last night, my dog, who watches TV, just sort of opened her mouth and barfed all over the living room rug.

Dogs know people better than people know people.
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #13
IRISH_EYES_99

Oh my, your dog certainly does. (((((((( Melynn)))))))), He must have the right view on the election. WTG. Sorry you had to clean up that mess though.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #14
MintyFemme2

My two cents worth on all this politcal stuff.

I agree Mccain is " Bush Light". If Mccacin and Palin became President and Vice President U.S. would pretty much be doomed. I would hate to see what would happen at the abortion clinics with Palin in even more power. I don't believe in abortion myself but every woman has that right to decide for herself what she wants to do with her body, not the goverment . Mccain is like Bush in wanting to drag his feet in getting our trops out of Iraq( where they shouldn't have been in the first place). How many more of our fine young men and women need to die before Bush and "Bush Light" admit that there is no valid reason other than they want to control the oil companies profit?

It would have been nice to see Obama and Hillary on the Democratic ticket but I think Biden is just as good if not better suited for the job. Obama is going to inhert a lot of problems that will take some time to fix but I think he can and will fix them ina timely manner. I like that Obama wants the US to withdrawl fom Iraq ASAP. I think with Obama as President we will be actually working towards a true Democracey in reguards to human rights for all.

Of course there is Sallvie's solution to war... " Why can't the leaders of countries that disagree just have a poker game? Who ever looses the poker game has to agree to do what the winner says and give their guns and bombs up". Sallvie may not quite understand politics yet but he understands that war is not good.
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #15
Melynn
Queen Goddess

We've now endured a week or so of Sarah Palin lies. These lies are well documented but the media is not speaking out. For years we've endured this behavior from the mainstream media and networks. I don't know what they're afraid of but, quite frankly, I don't care. As newspeople their job is to report the truth. As citizens, they have to live in this country too. It's time they stand up and tell the truth about Sarah Palin!

democrats.com is trying to collect 10,000 signatures on a petition telling the media to tell the truth about the lies! If you're so inclined to sign, the information is provided. The country you save will be your own.

*****From democrats.com*********

Tell The Media to Call Sarah Palin a Serial Liar

It is now thoroughly documented that Sarah Palin supported the $398 million "Bridge to Nowhere" when she ran for Governor in 2006, even though Congress cancelled the earmark in 2005.

She only opposed it in September 2007 after her final efforts to get $329 million more from Congress failed. Yet she kept the partial funding from Congress!

So when Palin repeatedly says "I told Congress, 'Thanks, but no thanks' on that bridge to nowhere," she is repeatedly lying.

It is long past time for reporters to call Sarah Palin exactly what she is - a serial liar.

Sign our petition to the Media:

http://www.democrats.com/call-sarah-palin-a-serial-liar