Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Lesbians Online

Old September 10th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #16
brede
my new motorcycle

When I got cancer, I went to a doctor and had a PAP smear. I was also having night sweats that were unbelievable. That PAP came out normal 10 days later. I immediately went to another Doc. and had another PAP, this time it was done stat. That showed severed dysplasia. I was at a GYN surgeon with in a week of having the second PAP done. She exmained me in her office and simply checked the scrapings with her own microscope and said it looks like cancer. That was a Friday. On Monday I had surgery, final diagnosis, clear cell carcinoma (which is different than the usual cancer found on the cervix and is very aggressive) and 2 of the four lymph nodes showed dysplasia.

This all happened in a very short time. I knew that I was high risk for clear cell because of prenatal DES exposure. If I hadn't pursued it, I would have died.

I had a doctor tell me at age 16 that I would probably die before I was 30 because of the DES exposure. I turned 28 while I was in the hospital recovering from surgery.

I firmly believe that the person who knows best about what is happening in your body is YOU, not a doctor. I started practicing meditation when I was 17 and focused on learning what my body was doing.

Last August, right before I had surgery, I was hooked up to a heart monitor and Greg was with me. I laughed and said "do you want to hear my heart slow down and skip a beat or two?" He laughed at me. He was totally shocked when I did what I said I could do. The docs laughed at him and told him that with practice and mindfulness, there are many things you can control in your body.
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #17
MintyFemme2

ALways seeing a doctor when sonething is wrong is a good idea. Ig you think your doctor gave you a wrong diganosis get a second opinion as well. I was told in E.R> the reason for my hands, feet, and mouth being numb was because i had something wrong with my nerves to take ibprovin and see my doc in a few days if it didn't get better. I saw my doc cause I really didn't think that was the problem... turns out the e.r. doc was wrong.. my BP was extremely high.
Oct is Breast cancer awareness month . If you are 40 or over get your mammogram. No matter what age you are monthly self exams might save your life. Since Oct is breast cancer awreness if you don't have insurance keep an eye out in your local drug stores they might offer free mammograms.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #18
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

Minty:
I'm glad you posted this. It's a very important topic, and it will be the focus of Women's Web next month. I'm putting together some resources on breast health, and I invite you all to <a href="http://www.womensweb.ca/health/breast" target="_blank" style="color: red; text-decoration: underline">check them out</a>.

<h4>IN THE UNITED STATES</h4>Medicare, Medicaid, and most private health plans cover all or part of the cost of mammography. And breast cancer testing is now more available to women without health insurance for free or at very little cost through a special program called the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP). Your state?s Department of Health will have information about the program.

There is also a new program to help pay for breast cancer treatment for women in need. To learn more about this program, you can contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at 1-888-842-6355 or on the Internet at <a href="http://www.cdc.gov/cancer" target="_blank" style="color: red; text-decoration: underline">www.cdc.gov/cancer</a>.

<h4>IN CANADA</h4>To find out more about breast screening centres in your province, call the number below or visit the Canadian Association of Radiologists (CAR) website for a list of accredited facilities.

British Columbia
1 800 663-9203

Yukon
1 867 393-8740

Alberta
1 800 667-0604

Northwest Territories
Call your doctor or health clinic

Saskatchewan
1 800 667-0017

Manitoba
1 800 903-9290

Ontario
1 800 668-9304

Nunavut
Call your doctor or health clinic

Quebec
Call your doctor or Info-Sant?

New Brunswick
1 877 739-7346

Nova Scotia
1 800 565-0548

Prince Edward Island
1 888 858-2915

Newfoundland & Labrador
1 800 414-3443
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #19
MintyFemme2

(((((((((((((WA))))))) wow you know lots more then me ! Thanks for the info .
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #20
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

LOL Not really, just information I pulled from the American Cancer Society's web site and phone numbers I pulled off the Canadian Cancer Society's web site, but nevertheless glad I could help.

By the way, MintyBrat, are you being good?
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #21
MintyFemme2

Of course .. remember i'm da
Old September 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #22
brede
my new motorcycle

I don't remember that! ROFLAO!!!!