Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Romantic Relationships

Old January 12th, 2001, 10:46 PM   #1
ShadowWOW

Computers have changed the way we connect with one another.

Have you had an online relationship? Did you eventually meet? Come share your stories with us.

ShadowWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2001, 10:33 AM   #2
candygirl1030

Wooohooooo...now this should be my folder! So happy that I have found it. Perhaps I should start with my first online relationship...lol....ok ok..so there have been a few. My first online relationship was a wonderful experience. We met online...talked all the time on the phone and met in person. We were "together" for 3 months(saw each other a few times actually) but decided that we would be better off friends. Well that was over a year ago and to this day she is still one of my closest friends. We talk just about daily and share everything. I have to say I do not regret meeting someone so wonderful and to think I never would have known her if it wasn't for the internet.

blah blah blah...ok there were a couple of more and those where great except for the one who broke my heart.

Now on to the good stuff....I met the love of my life here on the net. A matter of fact she is moving here to be with me. We have decided that living in two different states and keeping an online relationship would be difficult. Both of us have known people who try and it usually fails. So here we are making a go at something we truely believe is love.

My personal thoughts on meeting people online is that it is a wonderful experience. One has to be careful of who they tell information to but the majority of people aren't out to harm you. Perhaps I have been very fortunate in who I have met. How else though would I have made so many friendships with people that I didn't know exsisted until online. Hmmm...I wouldn't trade my g/f for the world and online is where it all began!
candygirl1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2001, 10:48 PM   #3
shergo

Friends and More

I have made some of my best friends online (mostly through a group who love old houses). Some of us get together once a month to have dinner and just visit. One of my weekly e-mail pals is a friend I met through a course on ZDnet, and another is the wife of an old boyfriend, whom I tracked down. In the last few days, spurred by my cousin's success at finding a wonderful new wife after his first died of complications from diabetes, I have subscribed to a couple of online meeting places. I am currently corresponding with a couple of nice men who sound very interesting. Keep your fingers crossed for me! After 10 years of loneliness, I would love to find a man to do something with!
Old April 8th, 2001, 10:42 PM   #4
roo

I met my best friend online, in fact here. And my partner.

I've also met a lot of friends in other places, through fly fishing sites or a listserv here where I live. Nice folks for the most part. So real wack jobs out there too so be careful
Old April 14th, 2001, 04:54 AM   #5
tupi

I've met some people online who scared the bejesus out of me, but I've met far more people who warmed my heart and soul.

One friend and I worked together in a chat for almost a year, then during a conversation about growing up we discovered that we grew up within 6 miles of one another. Then we discovered that her father and my father knew one another. The area where we grew up was very rural and most of the businessmen there knew each other. We've since then become very good friends.

My closest friend I met here. She and I are the same age, well, okay, I'm 11 hours older than her. We have similar names, been married the same number of years, look just similar enough to be mistaken for sisters, and share a bond of understanding that goes way beyond the norm. I love her very much.

I've met probably 40 chat room friends in "real life" and didn't find an axe murderer among the entire batch..well, there was one that might have been the bride of frankenstein, but that's another story.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2001, 09:49 AM   #6
Dawgie27

I have been chatting now for almost 6 years and I probably have met 80+ people from all over the states. Yes dated a few of them, and a few well I just..nevermind! {that is a whole other story there lol}

Five years ago I met pepperannie in a chat room in Talkcity..{not a WOW room} and over the years we had become good friends. Never dated or even really talked about dating. Then a year ago in March we met while she was on her way to NY. She stopped in we had a cook out and she went on her merry way. Well then in July I happened to pop online..at that point I had not been online much and probably had not been in LS for a cpl months. Well the day I decided to pop in and say howdy pepperannie happened to be in the room and in town again at a mutual friends house.

So I told her why don't you come over and hang out for a couple days so we can catch up on things..... well 9 months later we are still "catching up" and loving every minute of it! We will have our commitment ceremony in July of 2002!

Also not only was I lucky enough to find my soulmate thru chat but my best friend catwomynn as well! Her and I met last yr. at a gathering in Louisville in end of Feb. beginning of March.. we danced and partied our asses off all weekend and hung out a few times after that and thru it all have developed a very wonderful and close relationship.
And people say cats and dawgs just can not get along!
Old May 21st, 2001, 09:53 PM   #7
shergo

Way to go, candygirl!

I had a date with one of the men I mentioned. Yuck. Polyester pants that were too short, hair combed over the bald spot, and after 3 hours in the restaurant, no tip (that took the cake)! He also had a lot of unresolved 20-year-old anger at his ex.

But my dear friends I met through an old house group are coming to my house this weekend to celebrate my getting a full-time position at the college!
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:34 AM   #8
suz1208

About online relationships? Well I'm happy to say that it was online that I first met my significant other, purely by accident. This was back in Nov. of 1998 and we have just recently bought a house together, I have relocated and we are very very happy :-). It was she who intorduced me to the wonderful world of LS and where I have met so many good people who have become my friends, and I even found a sister!!! right Cookie?
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:13 PM   #9
shergo

Suz, that's wonderful!
Old July 8th, 2001, 01:42 PM   #10
TheWonder

I, personally, don't reccommend online relationships (using the term as in love relationships, re: dating). They're hard to make happen in 'real life', and hard to tell what exactly is going on, especially in terms of fidelity.

However. There are exceptions to the rule, and more power to them.

I myself am getting married to someone I've met online. I met him through a mutual friend who was kind enough to say, "oh, I really think you'd like this nice young man I met on another server". She meant as friends -- and it was friends -- until he came out to visit and it ended up being a lot more than friends We've spent four years being a world apart -- him in New Zealand and me in the States -- but now we're finally getting married, and I'm moving to New Zealand.

As a rule, online relationships can work and work well. However, they require tons of work, tons of dedication and tons of trust which may or may not be deserved. For me, personally -- it was worth it.
TheWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2001, 01:48 PM   #11
Lou
Idealist

Aw...((((Wonder)))) How good to see you!

And congratulations on love and impending marriage! I agree that online relationships take work--and luck, too. My daughter found love online five years ago. Today, she and he have been married for four years, have my gorgeous grandson, and are very happy. My best to you and yours!
Old July 10th, 2001, 03:02 PM   #12
tupi

I too, think it's great to see you, TheWonder!

As for online relationships, I think they can be very silly. I think sometimes people so desperately want someone to be what they need that they see traits that aren't real. I will forever wonder what happened to the woman who left her husband and family to live with her online lover. Only one person heard from her after, and that was not to pass on good news.

It is always a good idea to find out what other people think of the person you're becoming enamored with. While most of the people I've met from online were very much as they appeared to be in chat rooms and on the boards, some are still likely to represent themselves in a more appealing manner. It's really important to remember that they can appear to be anyone they wish.

On the other hand, I've made some very good friends online. It's helped me to get through some real tough situations, too. The anonymity of a chat room or message board allows people to say things that they probably couldn't say face to face.

As a generaly rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2001, 10:42 AM   #13
candygirl1030

Congrats Wonder on your upcoming marriage!

I met my love online yet we were friends for over a year. She is definatly all that she appeared to be and more. I would have to say that I am one of the lucky ones. I have a friend who talked with someone online and on the phone for a year. At first she was sooooo taken by this woman and it turned out this other woman did nothing but lie. Fortunatly my friend found all this out and saw her for what she really was....but it still broke her heart that she invested so much of her time in someone that just wasn't real.
candygirl1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2001, 04:15 PM   #14
Dawgie27

Over the 6 1/2 years that I have been chatting I have probably met about 90 ppl from on-line. Most of those just friendships and a handful of those ended up in relationships. Granted in the grand scheme of things most of the relationships lasted about five minutes..lol... none of them ended badly. It was just the reality of life. When you live on opposite sides of the states or world and have no way of making it all happen in the "real" world why keep holding on?
Now as I have stated previously in this discussion I will be celebrating my one yr anniversary with my girlfriend who I in fact met on-line. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have nothing but pleasant experiences to relate when it comes to this subject.
I guess what it boils down to when dealing with on-line relationships... go with your gut instincts.... 99% of the time they are right.
Old July 13th, 2001, 08:18 PM   #15
shergo

Talking

Congratulations to you, TheWonder! How fabulous and how exciting that you are getting married and moving to New Zealand!