Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Lesbians Online

Old January 12th, 2001, 07:02 PM   #1
QuietWOW
WOW Host

Let's talk about the portrayal of lesbians in the Movies and on TV. Did you watch Ellen? What did you think? How can we make changes so that our lives are portrayed in a realistic and sensitive manner?
QuietWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2001, 04:58 AM   #2
DrHilieWho

Anyone else see Dark Angel last night?
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #3
starwella

i'm new to the group, and am a lesbian living in canada.
my girlfriend thinks im going nutty b/c this has been on my mind a lot lately. but come on!

my beef with the media is where are all the lesbians on t.v?

how come gay men are the 'hot' thing and lesbians cant even keep a show on the air!? shows with gay men such as "queer eye for the stright guy" and "will and grace" do exellent but what about us?
and dont even mention "queer as folk" the lesbians dont seem to be a major part of the plot.
i would like to see more positive (anything!)images of us in the media.
thanks.
Old September 24th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #4
MintyFemme2

Starwella, welcome to WOW. I agree that "gay men" get more media coverage. I have heard that Canada has a channel geared towards the gay and lesbian population.. which is more then what the US has. I watch "Queer as Folk" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", of the 2 I think Queer Eye..." is alot more postive . In Januaury Showtime is supossed to have a new weekly show call " The L Word" and it's plot is based on lesbian lifestyle. I have seen some of the preveiws and from what I have seen it isn't going to accurately protray lesbians. In one of the preveiws I have seen the girls are at a restraunt or something and one girl says to one of the other girls " You are to 'dykie'. You need to get rid of the flannel and Doc Martin's". I was watching that and thinking.. since when do"dykes" wear make up and have their hair curled ?LOL. It would kind of be nice if we had a show like "Queer eye..." that teaches straight women ( and femmes) how to fix things up around the house.
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #5
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Like "Tina the Toolwoman"??
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #6
LiamFan!

Hey, it's not like I'm an expert or anything, but I do think there are "dykes" who wear lipstick and curl their hair. Somebody jump in, tell me if I'm wrong.

And why is "gay men" in quotes? LOL

There have been regular lesbian characters on prime-time t.v. Offhand, I can think of Paul Rieser's sister in 'Mad About You,' the girlfriend in 'Seinfeld,' the daughter and friend in 'Once and Again,' Kerry and assorted girlfriends on 'ER.' And what about Designing Women and Golden Girls? I think we had a big ol' undercurrent going there. ;-)

Okay, I'm half joking about the last two. Seriously, I think things are changing, slowly but surely, and you'll soon see a lesbian-themed prime-time show. To be fair, though, the gay male-centered shows, Queer Eye & Boy Meets Boy -- and Queer as Folk and Six Feet Under, are all on cable (with Queer Eye crossing over to NBC after its huge popularity).

Maybe someone needs to write some scripts?
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Tammy

I think we need to lose all those stereotypes completely. Considering how many restrictions society already imposes, why impose more within the gay and lesbian populations?

But hey.. that's just me
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #8
LiamFan!

Quote:
Originally posted by MintyFemme2
It would kind of be nice if we had a show like "Queer eye..." that teaches straight women ( and femmes) how to fix things up around the house.
You know, I just went back and reread your post, and hadn't caught this before.

Straight women (and femmes) don't know how to do anything around the house? In my family, it was my mom that was the "handyman." My dad was all thumbs if he had to fix anything.

I don't need anyone to teach me how to fix things around the house...I have DIY, HGTV, and a library full of books.

I say, let's smash those stereotypes!

Unless, of course, you were joking....
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #9
MintyFemme2

((((((((((((((((LIAM))))))))))) about 90 percent of the time I am joking. AS for gay men being in quotes I just got quote happy LOL. Now for the dyke thing in make up. When I was still young a dyke was a sub catagory of lesbians. I'll tell ya the lesbian catagories/stereo typees I grew up knowing .. the lesbian culture of today isn't the same as it was 30 yrs ago. Lesbian catagories/ stereo types 1. Femme - looks like pretty much like most women wears make up and dresses ( see June Cleaver LOL) Butch- wears mens jeans and shirts most of the time and has short hair ( See Jo from "Facts of Life" tv program LOL) Dyke = similar to the butch but takes it one step further wears men's underwear , tapes her breasts down and prefers to be referred to in male terms ie sir, he, and him ( the only person I can think of as an example is a real person I knew growing up). The person I grew up with we called auntuncle. She was very much a dyke of the 70's. AuntUncleG even prefered her son to call her Daddy. I remember one day the cops came over because Mom and her newly broken up boyfriend had been in a fight. The cops didn't know what to do when they arrived on the scene .. all they was told was Mom had stole a car ( which was her own car). They started questioning everyone. AuntUncleG came out and the male cops started patting her down.. the cop came across her ace bandage on her chest and asked if she had broken ribs. She smiled and said " nope just have an ace wrap around my boobs". Of course everyone got red then.
I still hold fast to my image of a dyke. Today alot of lesbians say they are dykes and they aren't even close to my image of a dyke. I think they say they are dykes in the same manner as black people call themself the n word .. to take away the pain and claim it as their own. I remember being called a dyke all through out Jr High School. It was painful but I got even The "dyke" caused a popular boy to loose a bet in the 8th grade
There are lots of shows on tv with lesbian characters in them.. including a soap opera " All My Children" which had some what addressed stereo typing in one episode. But the media alot of times will put 2 lesbians together who wear make up and dresses. Even though this genreation of lesbians are trying to change stereo typing they still do it with out knowing it. Part of the lesbian culture will always have "butch"-"femme" couples.
If I have offended anyone I am sorry I am just a lesbian who saw things from a different time. I am prefer to say I am a "femme" but deep down I am a woman who loves women . (((((((((((((((((COD))))))))))))) As for the " Tim the Tool Lady" I am very much like "Tim Tool Man"... I am a disaster with power tools LOL.
All I was trying to say that even though lesbians and gay men are in media they aren't accurately protrayed in my eyes. " Queer as Folk" has Brian sleeping with any man who looks at him , "monagamy" (spelling) isn't in his vocabulary. In the real world Gay Men are just the opposite for the most part. I think the media protrays lesbians wrong too. I don't generaly see two lipstick/femme women together in the real world. I am not saying that two women who wear lipstick can't be together.. there are a few out there .. just not as much as the media says.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #10
MintyFemme2

(((((((((((((((((TAMMY)))))))))))))) oops didn't see ya LOL. OMG I got a kid with a BIG brownie and still in his underwear only.. I better at least see that he gets dressed for school. Should I take the brownie away from him or let him get all hyped up? LOL
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #11
LiamFan!

Ah, let him have the brownie...you only live once!

Good points above, Minty.

Have you seen the movie "By Hook or By Crook?" I recommend it highly. Stellar butch buddy film.
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

"What is WRONG with you people....?"

(a line from the movie, btw)
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #13
LiamFan!

LOL

Hey, I just got an idea for a new item here!
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #14
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

been there already....
Old September 25th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #15
huee

wow ya'll are right in line w/the conversations i've been having w/my friends lately. i've gotta say that some of the best lesbian characters i've seen have been the regular ones on all those shows - er, mad at about you, etc. i love the way they mesh w/the straight ppl around them - but then that's a large part of my own life. i do have a large group of friends that are lesbians, but i also have a family that is primarily straight & have numerous co-workers & classmates who are straight, so those kinds of shows are fairly reflective of how we are - very much loving w/each other but also full of questions & concern for each other's different ways of life. my fav lesbian movie was "claire of the moon" & i seem to be the only one who thinks that, b/c my friends all despise it!