Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old January 12th, 2001, 11:07 PM   #1
AuntieWOW

Do you feel like you'll never see your carpet again? Does your infant or toddler make so many messes you feel like all you do is clean up after him or her?

Share your frustrations here!
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2001, 04:41 PM   #2
DrHilieWho

ROFL I saw this topic and thought, "Did I start that thread?" It certainly sounds like me!

Our house is a mess. Honestly, truthfully, some days it seems like there is more food on the floor than gets in the kids' mouths. Other days I pray for someone to invent a really cheap hovercraft so I don't have to worry about walking through garbage. Well, maybe THAT is a little farfetched but you see what I'm saying. The house is embarrassingly dirty.

The only thing I figured so far is to clean at night after everyone else is asleep. It's hard to vacuum then though. Does anyone know of a really good vacuum cleaner, preferably an upright, that doesn't make much noise? Or one that cleans really well? Our vacuum is horrible and I'm not sure our carpet will survive much longer lol
Old April 17th, 2001, 11:18 PM   #3
LiamFan!

My advice:

HARDWOOD FLOORS <g>

Old April 18th, 2001, 04:41 AM   #4
DrHilieWho

LOL! Thanks for the tip Liam! I'll try to remember that when we're househunting.
Old April 18th, 2001, 11:55 AM   #5
LiamFan!

Oh yeah, this from someone who just bought a house with CREAM COLORED CARPET. LOL!

I think I shall employ the Japanese "take off your shoes upon entering" philosophy, starting May 15.
Old May 29th, 2001, 07:48 PM   #6
Leslie_Ann

Smile So many similarities

My carpets are so gross that i have been nagging for weeks now to get them cleaned. I have a 1 year old, 8 year old, and a 5 year old and it just stinks..
I love my kids with all my heart, but they sure let me know what a full time job is all about...
LOL
Leslie_Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2001, 11:32 PM   #7
WahmWOW

Has anyone else around here tried the Flylady. Her panic cleaning method is really helping me get the house ready for our apartment inspections but the email list is a bit tedious.
WahmWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2001, 05:44 PM   #8
Minty_Femme

((((((DRHILLIE))))) I don' know of a quiet vaccum cleaner. My biggest problem is my son "blocking" the vacuum when I'm using it. I plug in the vaccum , Sallvie gets his tricycle or another of his ride on toys and gets in my path on purpose LOL. I have learned a trick how to get Sallvie to help pick up his toys though... I get out a big trash bag LOL.
Minty_Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 07:57 PM   #9
Cinderellen

One of the things I learned, the hard way , is to make your kids start picking up their own toys as soon as they can understand the concept. At first it is harder to make them do it than to do it yourself, but in the long run it is worth it.

As far as not being able to see your carpet, that is, imo, normal for the toddler, preschool, and young elementary family. I used to really beat myself up over the messy cluttered house, until I realized that there were a lot more homes out there like mine. Messes, toys, food on the floor, etc. are part of that young age. There is light at the end of the tunnel. My kids are both getting older now, and Wahoooooo! the mess is getting better and better. It is now mostly just in their rooms, I can close the door on that.
Old January 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM   #10
Terri

It's true...now that my son is 14 the mess is mostly confined to his room and about once a month I make him pick it up. I only have one child but my house was always littered with K-Nex and Leggos because that is what he loved to do. I didnt care. The creativity it allowed him to experience was far more meaningful than a perfect house. Once he did get older and I was able to see the carpet is when I realized it needed cleaning. HAH, I was ignorant all those years. I say we all go back to mud huts with dirt floors then no one would care.
Old January 20th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #11
Cinderellen

LOL Terri, then we'd call the lawn and garden store when we needed new flooring.

On another note... Does anyone have any creative ideas for storage of toys and other clutter? I know that is a real problem in a lot of houses.
Old January 20th, 2002, 11:52 PM   #12
Terri

STacking plastic containers from Target. They come in blue, green and beige. I know because my sons closet is stacked with them. They are filled with Leggos, action figures and hot wheels, k-nex and star war figurines. All for sale I might add...cheap.
Old January 21st, 2002, 10:34 AM   #13
tupi

When my kids were really young we put half the toys in boxes and put them in the attic. Then when they were leaving thier toys around and not playing with them we'd box up the toys, and take the stored ones down. The "newness" peaked thier interest and they played with them until we went through the whole thing again. We mostly stored the active toys in bookcases and footlocker trunks. The trunks made extra 'table' space and made for easy storage too.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2002, 11:50 AM   #14
Cinderellen

We use stackable rubbermaid bins for toys with small pieces, like legos etc. I just pile them in the closet. I also like those Captains beds. They have drawers underneath the mattress for storage, plus it keeps toys from creeping under the bed. There is nothing like thinking a room is clean, only to find it was all shoved under the bed.

Tupi, that is a great idea. I was never disciplined enough to do that though . However, I did that with books, it helped force variety at bedtime. Although, I can still recite Goodnight Moon from memory.
Old March 18th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #15
DrHilieWho

Spring Cleaning! ahhhh, the joy of it all

My goal every day is to have a clean floor. Everything else falls into place around it because of ... well, gravity. It's logical cleaning. If I really want my sweeping to count I should clean the counters first so no crumbs fall off onto the floor, but if I want cleaning the counters to make a difference I should really wash all the dishes so I don't set a dirty dish down and get the counter dirty, etc.

My only problem is cleaning the carpet. Anyone know a cheap, effective way of handling that...or any way to refluff it? We're renting so I can't replace it.