Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old January 13th, 2001, 12:10 AM   #1
AuntieWOW

Some days you just want to pull your hair out. Share your tips on parenting or look for answers here.
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2001, 11:41 AM   #2
DrHilieWho

Toddlers and Swearing

Sometimes keeping your children from learning cuss words is not as easy as you think it should be. We found something that really works with our son to keep him from swearing.

First put together a list of words that are similar to swear words.

shut
walk
go near it
you get the picture

Then if your child comes across one of those words you say, "Yes [substitute your word here]" and then do the action associated with your word. Our son almost always switches to saying our word right away, and forgets all about why he learned the other one in the first place.

Some words of caution, make sure that everyone taking care of your child has the same list of words and actions. When mommy is saying "walk" and daddy is saying "fork" it's really confusing, and it's even worse when daddy says "shut" and mommy says "never say that ever again!" LOL Having a list also gets you prepared and prevents those shocked faces babies find soooo funny...a key in the process of remembering something and repeating it for life. *g*
Old July 14th, 2001, 08:31 PM   #3
DrHilieWho

Nate is going through some bizarre headbutting phase. In fact, I think he nearly broke my nose awhile ago. It's been almost an hour and I still have a horrible headach and the whole side of my face hurts.

Anyone know of a good way to break that habit? Nothing has worked so far, we've taken away toys, put him in his room, yelled, spanked I'm especially worried because if he does this to the baby it could really hurt her. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old April 24th, 2002, 07:39 PM   #4
DrHilieWho

We Survived the Surgery

You might remember that last year a little boy was playing outside, threw a bat, and hit Strata in the face. It chipped her tooth pretty bad but was doing o.k. Well, it ended up causing a lot of problems afterall. This morning we took her to the hospital and she had to have two root canals and three caps done. Poor baby, good news is she is feeling alright. She's 22 months btw.

If anyone ends up having to put their little one under for any procedure, something I would definitely recommend is getting a sitter for your other children. We had our older son stay with my sister and took the baby, but it would have been a lot easier on Strata if we'd both had our arms available to her. They also kept waking each other up and getting each other to cry. Even though, in general, everything went great...the extra attention wouldn't have hurt her I'm sure.
Old April 24th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #5
Terri

((((((Hilie & Strata))))))
Old April 24th, 2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oh poor little thing. (((Strata)))
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 12:13 AM   #7
Cinderellen

(((((Hilie & Strata)))))