Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Life's Transitions

Old June 19th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #16
DLC55
You owe me for this!

When my daughter and son-in-law moved out my electric bill dropped by $100.00 a month, my water bill dropped by $80 every two months and I now have an entire upstairs that my son and I don't use, lol.

My kids learned at an early age to wash their own clothes and cook if needed. They both suck at doing laundry but they're both pretty good cooks!

I never worried about either one being able to take care of themselves. I think we still worry as parents but isn't that the way it's supposed to be<g>
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:13 AM   #17
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

According to my own mother it is, DLC! She still worries about us. Now we worry about her. Life is one big worry. Keeping it under control is the difficult part.

I just got the nicest email this morning from the mother of my son's fiance. She spoke of the wedding plans and told me she is trying very hard to let them make all of the decisions, even when it's not necessarily what *she* would desire. I did the same thing when editing their wedding program. Patrick had listed everyone in the wedding party, and followed that with a description of that person and what relationship they shared with the bride or the groom. I saw ways to make it better grammatically and began correcting sentence structure and then decided to only point out a spelling error or two and go with what they wrote themselves. It's from their heart and I didn't want to change that.....OR them.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #18
Karin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cod
I just had the most amazing weekend reunion with all of my children, and my baby grandson, and I was left with a feeling not of sadness that they are back to their own homes in far away cities, but with a satisfaction and pride that they are making their way in the world and showing independence and yet still treasuring those coming "home" moments and being together again.

I'm sure it would be wonderful to have one or all of them living nearby, but I wouldn't trade that for the unique experiences and new friendships that they are making by moving to unfamiliar cities.

When we get together, it's like nothing has changed since we all lived under the same roof.

I'm a lucky lucky woman.....
Karin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #19
Karin

Quote:
Originally posted by Karin
That is great you are so well adjusted!
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #20
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

LOL Karin....thanks! I'm not so sure about THAT! I feel pretty good about *that* aspect of my life anyway.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #21
Karin

Quote:
Originally posted by mickey
I have to be honest and admit that I'm glad my kids are grown and on their own. I like having extra money and being able to stay connected to the internet all day if I want since no one else needs to use the phone.

I can do what I want when ever I want it. I find it nice and peaceful around here all day.

Yes, there are many advantages to being an empty nester. You have more time to do as you please.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #22
pegasus
, a gr8 peer support

well i am sorry to see that this thread kinda got dropped. I am just kinda starting in to this subject. My situation is a lil different see, my daughter was raised by my parents, although i did nothing wrong,( its a long sad story) and she and hubby are still with them. but I just saw my elder son off to job corps and soon after i ended a 7 yr relationship. Now it is just my youngest son and I, so im cooking for two [ side note i found that by pre-seperating foods like meats and stuff into 2 person portions before freezing it helps] But unless things change in the next few years, i will be faced with being so empty nest it aint funny and it scares me a lil. Right now however, I am enjoying the reduced expenses and the quiet and the ease and comfort level. hehe laters
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote